Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Possible to retro-fit App Connect on a T6?

• Thread starter SuperCaliFragilistic
  • Start date
SuperCaliFragilistic

SuperCaliFragilistic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My wife and I are now the proud owner of a 2016 California T6 4motion. Got a few camping & festival trips lined up over the coming weeks and we can't wait!

The van media head unit does not have 'SatNav' or 'App' buttons, nor can I see any USB ports in the glove compartment or ashtray (just a 12V ciggie lighter).

My question... is it possible to retro-fit USB ports and/or App-connect, so I can get Android Auto from my mobile phone?
Failing that, can the whole head unit be upgraded to support Android Auto/Apple CarPlay?

It's not a problem if not, but it might be something I want to do in the future if indeed it's possible.

I believe one can change the whole head unit for an aftermarket unit - Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine etc. Speak to Absolut5 (Forum member) they will tell you exactly what one can do.

Thank you.

I've had another look and just found a single USB in the top glove box next to a 3.5mm AUX jack.
The head unit has an option for App Connect on the screen menu (no dedicated physical button though), but when I choose this option it tells me "you can activate the function by means of an activation key. Please contact your dealer."

Any idea how much this costs from VW? I've seen a few sites selling these for around the £100 mark online, but no idea if they are genuine or not.

My wife and I are now the proud owner of a 2016 California T6 4motion. Got a few camping & festival trips lined up over the coming weeks and we can't wait!

The van media head unit does not have 'SatNav' or 'App' buttons, nor can I see any USB ports in the glove compartment or ashtray (just a 12V ciggie lighter).

My question... is it possible to retro-fit USB ports and/or App-connect, so I can get Android Auto from my mobile phone?
Failing that, can the whole head unit be upgraded to support Android Auto/Apple CarPlay?

It's not a problem if not, but it might be something I want to do in the future if indeed it's possible.
The T6 Forum is more likely to answer your “ retrofit “ question. They do a lot of that.

If it cannot be retrofitted then @Absolut5 Audio ltd who is a Forum member here and on the T6 forum can certainly advise and provide alternative systems that are compatible with your vehicle.

On your head unit do you have an app connect in the main “menu“ screen ?
if you select app connect it should say some like “you can activate via activation key “

if you do have the App connect showing in your main menu you can get it activated.

try SatNav Systems Chertsey (Hamid or Adam) they do lots of work for VW dealers on behalf of VW, tell them your from thd Cali forum,

New Head unit:

Kenwood 8019DAB + Kenwood Interface Lead

The interface lead enables steering wheel controls, climate, heated seats, reversing sensors (+camera(s)- if fitted) on the head unit.

You will then have wireless carplay, and be able to mirror waze / google maps from your phone. WhatsApp, Spotify etc

This forum is incredible. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I'll contact the suggestions above to see what's possible. I don't have SatNav on the vehicle and only a single SD card slot. Some of the sites I've checked require 2 x SD slots to activate it remotely, and must have SatNav installed.

Turn on WiFi and blue tooth on your phone. Plug it into that single USB port top glove Box. Use a High speed quality data cable, nit just a cheap charger cable. Click menu. Click android auto. You need to download android auto too to your device. The left hand card slot I use a micro USB card filled with music. The rh card alot is for vw nav but you don't have that. Like me.

20230606_163125.jpg

20230606_163137.jpg

20230606_163305.jpg

Back