Votes: 30 13.1%
  • Other memory foam topper

Votes: 25 10.9%
  • Sleep directly on the bed with no topper

Votes: 30 13.1%

• Total voters
Re: Mattress Toppers Poll

McMeefia,
Sounds like you might need the vw comfort mattress underneath your memory foam topper. The sleep is the most important part of camping to get right!

We still have a zone sleep demo...really need to get it back to the guys there and get our proper Beach version! Really liked it on our trial run(s) though. We also have a great double Thermarest which we use in the awning and I must say I find that REALLY comfy too...I have used it on the floor at friends house too and it's the most comfy guest bed I've ever had!

Duvalay was great for us and the solid 7 months in the California

flying

Are people using the mattress toppers on top of the the vw comfort mattress? Or, on their own? They do look really thin.

We use the Zonesleep on top of the VW comfort mattress- very satisfactory!

Call me a skinflint but we soften up by spreading out some 30 year old sleeping bags.

:thumb

acer said:
Kernow,
If you sold the vw mattress and are tempted by zonesleep what are you using at the moment?

I also wondered if anyone used those thermarest self-inflating thingys underneath the vw comfort or other topper. They are very quick to use and store nicely too.

Yes we used these (the thickest of the Thermarests) this last season and they are definitely a solution but thinking of a "proper" solution for 2015 ;)

We bought 2 duvalays and they are brilliant. Mattress and duvet in one. Very flexible too used by the kids when they go on sleepovers etc. But yes they are pretty big and take up a lot of room. However, what price a good nights sleep? We just take fewer other kit.
PS yes not required up top - a sleeping bag or duvet is fine up there!

Our general bedding arrangement is the Zonesleep, a sheet, another sheet (as a top layer) tucked under a really nice lambswool blanket the missus bought me (one of those that still smells of lanolin). We go crazy with pillows and use two each.

The former arrangement all packs very nearly into the Zonesleep topper bag and takes up a very small amount of space - probably about 2.5ft x 2ft x 1ft.

For extra cold, it's sleeping bags, usually opened up.

Took us a while to get this right but it's definitely a great combination.

The two long trips (five weeks) we've been away, we've been amazed at how much space is still left over - and this is a family of four with surfboards (on the roof) and associated kit.

Hi

We have a zonesleep for the lower, it's okay however I have started to use an inflatable camping bed, really comfy and packs away quite small. It is. Little tight on the units but the doors still open. Best is the are only around ÂŁ20?? Worth a try for that money.. Takes around 3 minutes to inflate via the rear 12v socket.

Will

New cali - new mattress - we bought a zonesleep on the recommendations - I found it fine - good night's sleep but my wife thought it was too hard .....

using another topper as well would take up a lot of space...

We have the same, VW comfort mattress, which is great for evening out the humps and bumps of the seat but is too hard for my wife.

We've solved it with the fatest duvet we could find in Dunelm. So now we sleep on this double duvet which is kept in the van and throw the duvet off our bed on top. No sheets and a very comfortable solution at about ÂŁ50 or ÂŁ60.

We wondered if anyone might be able to answer an additional query on this topic.

We used our Cali for the first time last weekend to try everything out. we stayed overnight in Baslow at the Chatsworth Caravan Park, just a stones throw from 'The House' itself. It was a great evening. The only downside was the firmness of the downstairs bed. we realised that, if we were going to have a longer spell away, we'd have to address it.

We have the Zonesleep that we lay directly onto the seats (we don't have the VW Comfort Mattress).

We were thinking of buying one of the Raskelf memory foam toppers to lay underneath it. We appreciate that it raises the spend on the bed option, but to be honest, we see it as the most essential part of the van :D.

We've seen one on the Camper VanTastic website, shaped for the Cali.

Are the Raskelf toppers and Duvalay toppers one and the same thing? It's just we couldn't find a Duvalay shaped for the Cali anywhere.

Any hints/tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Larkrise said:
So what happens about the level difference with the seat to parcel shelf?

In mine there are two height positions for the rear parcel shelf.

Lowest setting it fits flush with the seats when using the VW topper.

Highest setting it fits flush to the seats without a topper.

Interested to read someone is using an airbed.

Normally a double is oversized and a single is undersized but outwell make a 120mm wide box construction which should make a comfortable fit.

As I travel and sleep solo most of thre time I have been looking up an oversized single and aerobed make one at 100mm wide. I have ordered this, (I am never short of uses for airbeds at home anyway) and will post on my experiences after I come back from Scotland mid-January.

A compact aerobed (and I am happy with the quality having slept on one for 9 months when I moved home) sat on the back parcel shelf, which on it's higher setting liberates more boot room, with its own duvet cover as a sheet and a duvet keeping me all snug and warm sounds like a good solution for me.

Apparently the inflation time with it's custom rechargeable pump is less than a minute.

LowMan said:
We wondered if anyone might be able to answer an additional query on this topic.

We used our Cali for the first time last weekend to try everything out. we stayed overnight in Baslow at the Chatsworth Caravan Park, just a stones throw from 'The House' itself. It was a great evening. The only downside was the firmness of the downstairs bed. we realised that, if we were going to have a longer spell away, we'd have to address it.

We have the Zonesleep that we lay directly onto the seats (we don't have the VW Comfort Mattress).

We were thinking of buying one of the Raskelf memory foam toppers to lay underneath it. We appreciate that it raises the spend on the bed option, but to be honest, we see it as the most essential part of the van :D.

We've seen one on the Camper VanTastic website, shaped for the Cali.

Are the Raskelf toppers and Duvalay toppers one and the same thing? It's just we couldn't find a Duvalay shaped for the Cali anywhere.

Any hints/tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Raskelf duvalay & topper are different. Duvalay has foam base & has a duvet cover built in to it fixed down one side.
Raskelf do a topper that is tailored for the bottom bed, has cutout for the wheel arch.
Camper VanTastic are raskelf resellers.

Thanks Andy. Think we understand now. I think it is the Raskelf that we're considering.

Just to clarify for us newbies awaiting delivery of our Cali, can we have a quick survey of peoples topper choice and whether they use it on top of the VW comfort mattress or not. Is the Zonesleep topper or Comfortz topper comfy enough on their own?
Thanks
Poll Now Live[/QUOTE]
We bought two single Raskelf Duvulay mattress and sleeping bag combined (what they were marketed as then) nearly 6 years ago before the Dragon's Den promotion. I'm up top with mine and my wife sleeps below with hers. Nearest thing to a twin bed hotel room. Both roll up and fit in big zip-up bags that fit behind bed/seat when travelling with pillows stuffed between and on top and with a Decathlon pop-up tent in a bag on top and I can still see out a full rear view window. That's with both the winter and summer duvets inside the bags as well

Maybe not the best place to ask... but we are seeking for a little comfort improvement in the top.... Now only using the standard matras (not the VW comfort). Was looking at the Zonesleep, but was wondering if you can leave it on when closing the roof. Are there any other toppers you can leave on top?

Maybe not the best place to ask... but we are seeking for a little comfort improvement in the top.... Now only using the standard matras (not the VW comfort). Was looking at the Zonesleep, but was wondering if you can leave it on when closing the roof. Are there any other toppers you can leave on top?
Not recommended as there is not enough space, you don't want to buckle your roof.

The only way you can keep the zonesleep upstairs in situ is with the Comfortz upstairs mattress (reduced depth)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for your swift response... I guess we just have to accept to lose some storage room to gain some comfort..

We have the VW mattress
I am only 5foot 7, and find it really comfortable.
It might be different for a taller person.
I have to sleep with my head at the rear, and right up to the door,
The top part of my body is then on the thick sponge bit, and it is great, really comfortable.

I did try a zone sleep on top of it, and it didn't make any difference to my comfort, so sent it back.
I also used one of the Comfortz one on a hired van, with no VW mattress, and that was comfortable to, but the VW on packs away more neatly and quickly

Like a lot of things you can only really know if you try it out, we are all so different

We have the Zonesleep double layer and find it a vast improvement, also I think the best thing about the Zonesleep is it can be washed. Ours is hanging in the conservatory as we speak