Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Option: Passenger car version with up to 5 seats

steve_ford

steve_ford

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, just trying to finalise my Ocean order. If selecting 4-motion the option for a 5th seat is not available due to the transmission run obstructing the additional rail, however there is an option selectable 'passenger car version with up to 5 seats'. Can anybody clarify what this option provides/removes?

I can partly answer in that the the third rail disappears on the 4Motion so you can't have a 5th seat. Reason certainly was, when I got mine due to weight. I'm not familiar with the new configurator.

Mike

Anyone got an answer in this one ?
On top of the above, you can spec the fifth seat (on a non 4 motion) without selecting this option, leaves us wondering what it actually is.

Will have to ask a dealer I think

Well, in France and in Germany, this little (free) option makes some difference.

It just appears on the licence papers of the car : "VASP" in French or "Wohnmobil" in German if you don't choose the option (i.e. most of Calis) and "VL" in French or "Kombilimousine" in German if you take it.
It changes mainly regarding the insurances (usually two types of insurance with different conditions) and regarding the law (at least in France, there are some restrictions regarding camping cars that won't apply if you are in licensed in VL).

Agree with Mike of the 5th seat and the 4motion, I was told it was a problem of weight.

I have the option, and the 5th seat, and on my licence, it doesn't refer to the limitation "up to 5 seats". It is just mentioned that it's a passenger car.

I hope this helps.

Capture d’écran 2017-08-20 à 22.42.20.png

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a very useful option in Germany/France. I wonder if it does similar in the UK? I asked a dealer yesterday and his response was 'it's a mistake on the configurator and makes no difference'!!!
I am getting the impression that the California is an inconvenience to the Van Centres. As opposed to the normal 'I'll take 6 Transporters' from a commercial client, the California buyer wants to understand all the nuances. Think it would be better in the car dealership but I'm sure that topic has been covered before!

Maybe we ask to the wrong person. Assuming that the same difference exists in UK (licensed as regular car or licensed as Camping car), I would ask to insurance compagny what difference it makes.
As an example, for my Marco Polo, taking my credit and insurance at the same place made me eligible, in case of total crash, for a three year long "refund as new" if it was a car but not if it was a camping car. And to distinguish both types, they used the license.

I spoke to a dealer who spoke to VW HQ.
That option shouldn't be on the UK configurator and they are going to take it off. So hopefully that clears that up.

Back