Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On the Lookout

LRGS253

LRGS253

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi. I am on the look out for a Cali, but need to sell my car first. What do you guys thin the best engine is. I have heard some horror stories over bi-turbo's self desstructing in 40,000 miles. Is this a problem? The advice I have been given that the 140 is the pick of the bunch. Is anyone thinking of getting rid of their Cali and getting back in a Lotus Elise SC. If so let me know.

There was a problem on 2010/2011 engines on the 180s, many were fixed under warranty but I suspect some many have got through. If they have the problem they will use a lot of oil.

There is loads of debate on the forum about this. Many people will say that the 180bhp on the T5, or 204 on the T6, is the must-have engine. But at the same time plenty of people are very happy with the 140.

I have a 180 and find it more than powerful enough for a campervan, and would have been happy I suspect with a 140.

It's worth considering that a lot of VW Transporters used commercially have a 102bhp engine or even an 84 and do their job quite happily even with that. Quite a lot - I'm guessing possibly the majority? - of converted T5 campervans have the 102 platform.

I have the 114 and its completely useable and fine. I have pondered remapping to 140region (it can go upto 170 apparently) but its not so bad that I've got around to making it happen ;)

Hi. I am on the look out for a Cali, but need to sell my car first. What do you guys thin the best engine is. I have heard some horror stories over bi-turbo's self desstructing in 40,000 miles. Is this a problem? The advice I have been given that the 140 is the pick of the bunch. Is anyone thinking of getting rid of their Cali and getting back in a Lotus Elise SC. If so let me know.
I have a 150 dsg and find it plenty powerful enough and good on fuel