Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil service due message - 9 months old Ocean 6.1?

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Seems a bit odd. Only done 6,900 miles and only 9 months old. Most journeys have been decent distances too. Had first 2 services included as part of the purchase but not sure if that is for main services or this “oil service”? Any info please?

First service is an oil one. Just had mine, 12 months, 10K. I believe the first service is time based, 12K or 12 months when on a std fixed schedule.

Is it saying you need one, or it is imminent? Mine told me for a while it was imminent and I just booked in as it got closer.

The 2 services included are the first two services.

First service is an oil one. Just had mine, 12 months, 10K. I believe the first service is time based, 12K or 12 months when on a std fixed schedule.

Is it saying you need one, or it is imminent? Mine told me for a while it was imminent and I just booked in as it got closer.

The 2 services included are the first two services.
Thanks. Yeah it’s saying due in 15 days. Still seems a bit soon but I’ll get it done.

Thanks. Yeah it’s saying due in 15 days. Still seems a bit soon but I’ll get it done.
It basically works from the date the dealer put in when you got it - so if it had been sat for a while or the dealer put the date in wrong it could be the reason for the date discrepancy. Or they never bothered at all and it’s still factory date.

Is there tolerance in the date for the first oil change? I am travelling and getting quite close. Currently saying due in 1,000 miles, whilst I think I will not be back in UK for 1,500 miles. Can’t imagine this would affect warranty but does anyone know different? I could try to have it done at a European VW dealer though not sure if the two free services are UK only - or how that affects VW’s records.

Is there tolerance in the date for the first oil change? I am travelling and getting quite close. Currently saying due in 1,000 miles, whilst I think I will not be back in UK for 1,500 miles. Can’t imagine this would affect warranty but does anyone know different? I could try to have it done at a European VW dealer though not sure if the two free services are UK only - or how that affects VW’s records.
It will be fine.

Thanks for those replies @dspuk.

I was wondering whether to travel via Mac Oil in Germany, they seem to offer a good service. I like the promise of sump drain not suction, and of course because it is a 'turn up' service the oil will be nice and hot to drain out all the new vehicle 'swarf'. I was going to call them to see if they can update the service record of a UK VW. Does anyone have any experience of this/them?

Thanks for those replies @dspuk.

I was wondering whether to travel via Mac Oil in Germany, they seem to offer a good service. I like the promise of sump drain not suction, and of course because it is a 'turn up' service the oil will be nice and hot to drain out all the new vehicle 'swarf'. I was going to call them to see if they can update the service record of a UK VW. Does anyone have any experience of this/them?

I’d stick to a main dealer myself.

I’d stick to a main dealer myself.
I found Max-Oil on the caliboard.de website, where several Germans with new California are using them and apparently they have direct access to the VW service records and update them correctly. But I don’t know if that would work for a UK vehicle and plan to ask them by phone next week.

Seems a bit odd. Only done 6,900 miles and only 9 months old. Most journeys have been decent distances too. Had first 2 services included as part of the purchase but not sure if that is for main services or this “oil service”? Any info please?
Are you going to wait until November then ?

I’ve done 8k miles and says it’s due in 79 days or 1400 miles.
So nearly 10k, & end of November, so mine is fairly spot on.

First oil service came up at 8000 miles 9 months old, 2nd oil service at 21000 mile 18 months old. Paid for the second one to keep my 2nd free service for the major service which appears to be due at 32000 miles. All very strange and not at all like the service schedule.

Best advice is if the vehicle says it needs done then get it done, or your warranty it at stake. VW - never get the same story twice.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I had this near one year. Took it in and they said the dealer had set it up wrong and that it should have been 2 year oil Change, so they reset it.

I had the same issue at 5300 miles. Contacted VW service to book in & was told a 2 month wait. Called back to finally arrange a date and was rudely told that no oil change was needed. Nothing needed to be done until the 1st service at 2 years.
Contacted VW directly and was told politely this time (!) that I just needed to take the Cali in & have the message reset so it didn’t appear each time as NO oil change was required at 1 year regardless of low mileage. I’ve had no issue so fingers crossed. Hope this helps.

I had the same issue at 5300 miles. Contacted VW service to book in & was told a 2 month wait. Called back to finally arrange a date and was rudely told that no oil change was needed. Nothing needed to be done until the 1st service at 2 years.
Contacted VW directly and was told politely this time (!) that I just needed to take the Cali in & have the message reset so it didn’t appear each time as NO oil change was required at 1 year regardless of low mileage. I’ve had no issue so fingers crossed. Hope this helps.
Thanks, what a farce this is! I’m currently in the Pyrenees and it now says due in 8 days, so it’ll have to wait a few more days yet.

Update from my previous post.

Had 2nd oil change service yesterday at 21000 miles which was more annoying because I had to pay. VWCV assured me clock's were now correct for our Cali and use, all good.

Van has now updated and guess what, next oil change service due in 9000 (30000 total) miles and Major service has gone out to 45000 miles. At thir rate I'll of had 4 oil changes before I even get to the major service. Nothing like the service plan we were sold. Having to pay out £235 every 9000 miles was never in the plan.

Had 2nd oil change service yesterday at 21000 miles which was more annoying because I had to pay. VWCV assured me clock's were now correct for our Cali and use, all good.

Van has now updated and guess what, next oil change service due in 9000 (30000 total) miles and Major service has gone out to 45000 miles. At thir rate I'll of had 4 oil changes before I even get to the major service. Nothing like the service plan we were sold. Having to pay out £235 every 9000 miles was never in the plan.

If you have a plan there won't be any charges applying for oil changes.
My current one had no charge for Major service and next minor one will also be free. Annual mileages are well under 10K miles.
Annoying how required service items like aircon and brake fluid are not included.

Service plans are pretty clear - "A Volkswagen Service Plan covers the first two consecutive services."

You no supposed to be allowed to skip one or pay for one yourself to make the second one a major service - so if they have allowed you to do that you're already winning. The first two consecutive ones are always reasonably basic being oil and then oil and a couple more filters.

AFAIK the new van plan wont cover the cost of a major service for you if you delay and pay yourself for long enough.

Do you have a different longer more inclusive plan?

1694770638812.png

I've just had the "first service" completed today - an oil change. Based this is the countdown on the service indicator which came at about 15 months and 9,500 miles. Service indicator reset and says 2 years or 9500 miles to go into next service which will be a full one.

My service plan covers one oil change at 20000 miles and major service at 40000 miles. I have had to pay for the additional ones.

My service plan covers one oil change at 20000 miles and major service at 40000 miles. I have had to pay for the additional ones.

How did you get that? I'd be interested in a plan that covered a major service with that level of flexibility.

Back