Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Now Whitby bans campervans !!

My info came direct from the dealer. The Cali is 1.97m without awning and my awning sticks up quite a bit. A 6ft 8 barrier left a big scrape on my roof recently.
If you are saying your awning is higher than your roof, then the scrape would have been on the awning, surely? Was the entrance to the barrier on a slope?

My info came direct from the dealer. The Cali is 1.97m without awning and my awning sticks up quite a bit. A 6ft 8 barrier left a big scrape on my roof recently.
Incorrect I'm afraid. If it is the Standard VW supplied awning then the highest point is less than 2m. I regularly use 2 m car parks with no problem.
Of course if you have Non-VW sized wheels and tyres then you could have a problem.

My T6 Ocean is 1.99 m high at the roof. The awning stands a bit higher a bit higher at 2.01 m. Which was good as my garage is 2.05 m.

Having said that I had a roof and awning scrape in a French parking garage which claimed to be 2.05 m high - result new roof paint job and new awning :-( - moral of my story don't go anywhere with less than 2.1m clearance.

My T6 Ocean is 1.99 m high at the roof. The awning stands a bit higher a bit higher at 2.01 m. Which was good as my garage is 2.05 m.

Having said that I had a roof and awning scrape in a French parking garage which claimed to be 2.05 m high - result new roof paint job and new awning :-( - moral of my story don't go anywhere with less than 2.1m clearance.
Vw told me minimum of 2.2 even with their standard awning

Mine measures -1.98m with awning - measured with leica scanner. Maybe different set ups tyres and suspension and loading have to be taken into account. Safest to measure your own van.

Mines under 2.0 with awning. actually 1.956 measured with laser level on flat surface, until recently i have been parking in a private underground carpark that is exactly 2m high slab to slab & have to follow a marked out route to avoid a number of pipes that hang down.

Unless the brackets have changed - the thule / omnistore standard fit awning is lower than the roof at its highest point.

The only problem I have had getting under 2m barriers is where there's been a padlock hanging down where the two halves of an opening barrier meet.

Vw told me minimum of 2.2 even with their standard awning

I would not argue with this conservative advice.

Underground parking can be dodgy - with my underground car park (block of flats) at 2.05 m I spent a good amount of time with a 2m pole checking out door clearance, ducting, flanges, lights and signs etc. before using it.

Have you noticed how an original thread gets high jacked by a spin-off thread?

The original thread is about the authorities in Whitby deciding to ban all motorhomes from the town.

Surely this is important enough to debate here, especially as other towns are already/about to do the same.

Shouldn't a group like ours be challenging this type of thing?

Have you noticed how an original thread gets high jacked by a spin-off thread?

The original thread is about the authorities in Whitby deciding to ban all motorhomes from the town.

Surely this is important enough to debate here, especially as other towns are already/about to do the same.

Shouldn't a group like ours be challenging this type of thing?
How would you feel if a group of travellers set up camp outside your house?

Last edited:
Wouldn't think anyone on here would leave behind piles of old tarmac, used fridges, garden waste and empty gas cylinders...when they move on.

Wouldn't think anyone on here would leave behind piles of old tarmac, used fridges, garden waste and empty gas cylinders...when they move on.
You might be surprised at what some motorhomers leave behind!

Perhaps move the sub-discussion on height limits to its own thread? & carefully moderate any discussion about Travellers

Perhaps move the sub-discussion on height limits to its own thread? & carefully moderate any discussion about Travellers
I would hope all discussions are carefully moderated

"How would you feel if a group of travellers set up camp outside your house?"

Point taken, personally wouldn't camp in a town or outside some ones house unless in a designated area like a French Aire, I don't understand why uk councils are so backward looking, The French also have a lot of municipal camp sites which on the whole we find very good, we don't need swimming pools and bars, kids have flown the nest, all we need is a shower and loo.

If motorhome owners continue to stay overlong in car parks and beauty spots who can blame the restrictions. I think with the parking restrictions and fees already present this is just a start as more restrictions will follow. The large whites when in groups are an eyesore lmho. We are a small island with limited space unlike France or Germany which have massive land mass. At least the 2m barrier allows us access but by being respectful we can continue to roam.

"How would you feel if a group of travellers set up camp outside your house?"

Point taken, personally wouldn't camp in a town or outside some ones house unless in a designated area like a French Aire, I don't understand why uk councils are so backward looking, The French also have a lot of municipal camp sites which on the whole we find very good, we don't need swimming pools and bars, kids have flown the nest, all we need is a shower and loo.
I don't think many councils would be able to justify the cost of setting up Aires. Not in the current climate. Ratepayers would understandably rather have essential services. I think the French villages/communes are desperate to attract tourists to spend a few Euros.

I think the French villages/communes are desperate to attract tourists to spend a few Euros.

The Aires are not something new, the communities also have a similar view in their harbours, mariners and small airfields, they all welcome visitors, we don't seam to see recreational areas as an asset, just a money cow.

The Aires are not something new, the communities also have a similar view in their harbours, mariners and small airfields, they all welcome visitors, we don't seam to see recreational areas as an asset, just a money cow.
Agree. Comparing Marinas here and in Europe, ours are fenced off soulless places.

I don't think many councils would be able to justify the cost of setting up Aires. Not in the current climate. Ratepayers would understandably rather have essential services. I think the French villages/communes are desperate to attract tourists to spend a few Euros.
Many Leisure Centres could set aside a few overnight parking spaces and use of showers etc for a charge.

Back