Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Now Whitby bans campervans !!

It's a symptom of the growing love of the campervan and motorhomes, People love the mental image of being free and staying where you want but not everyone shares that love. If there are many staying there regularly it can get pretty disruptive for locals, probably only a matter of time sadly.

If there are many staying there regularly it can get pretty disruptive for locals, probably only a matter of time sadly.
This was the scene at New Brighton on the Wirral yesterday. Not just motorhomes/campers, but caravans too! Once word gets out on social media they descend on a location like locusts!
B06191AD-2DE1-4905-97DC-C524D7906228.jpeg

We often used to camp here for the night and go and have a meal or fish and chips in the evening, so many councils now doing this, its all very shortsighted

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/whitby-introduces-new-rules-campervans-14923275

Totally understand this.On Sunday we called into Elie,East Fife,to find the beach car park absolutely full.
This was fine,had it not been for two massive "great whites" parked up in "V" formation,with owners of each, set up between vans having a picnic.The way they were set up, I would say they were using at least five spaces.It's no wonder the locals,plus visitors get annoyed.Installation of height barriers would help sort this problem.

[QUOTE="Ady77, so many councils now doing this, its all very shortsighted

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/whitby-introduces-new-rules-campervans-14923275[/QUOTE]
Regretfully the restrictions will spread as the vast increase in great whites makes this inevitable. Not short sighted in the opinion of locals as most spend very little and to be honest are a blight on the landscape when parked in large numbers and for days on end. Even up here restrictions are planned as wild camping on foot may be protected in legislation but vehicles are not. Most land is privately owned in the picturesque areas and they can stop us whenever they decide (checked out with legal team and confirmed correct).
Be discreet and respectful or we will all lose out. At least we California owners take up little space and are good looking:).

We spent a lovely day last year at Whitby. Nice park and ride with large van parking places spots. I think any town where people park up for days on end will push the same rules. We had Fish and Chips in the town and paid to camp just outside the town so supported the area fully.

This was the scene at New Brighton on the Wirral yesterday. Not just motorhomes/campers, but caravans too! Once word gets out on social media they descend on a location like locusts!
View attachment 36294

Says it all.

Part of the problem of course is a lack of Aires. At least corral the motorhomes into their own exclusive space, then ban them from everywhere else. Encouraging a free-for-all as depicted in that picture is pushing the council into a cup-de-sac of an outright ban.

I know this is going to sound Biased and it is biased.
But not biased because I own one.....
There should be some distinction between a transporter sized camper and great whites with these bans.
We seem to be getting the worst of fees between cars and larger motorhomes as well as being hooked into issues that we don't really present.

Great shame. As ever the few spoil it for the many! It was ever thus and forever will be sadly.

I know this is going to sound Biased and it is biased.
But not biased because I own one.....
There should be some distinction between a transporter sized camper and great whites with these bans.
We seem to be getting the worst of fees between cars and larger motorhomes as well as being hooked into issues that we don't really present.

Their often is.

It's called a height barrier.

There are still quite a few car parks, and I think immediately of one in Suffolk, where 24hr parking is allowed but there just happens to be a 2.1m barrier:D

Good point....
Never thought of that as the pictures show a different story.

Breathe in... Not only height barriers but width ones too. We parked in a country park in Scotland recently and each car park entrance had width barrier bollards to restrict entry to those of 2m (might have been 2.1m, I can't remember exactly). We got through with a few centimetres on either side to spare to spare.

Lets be honest, who would want to see that mess in their town. The problem with great whites are their size and the fact they're so bloody ugly.
Having all the servcies and space offered by one of those encourages people to, "over stay their welcome" as they can survive weeks on end without ever moving...

When I'm on holiday, I'm not looking for fellow campervanners.
I always try to behave like a guest and I would feel very obtrusive if I line up on the parking with 24 other Big Whites with flashing TV-screens.
The "everybody is doing it" will not give you any rights and in the end, it will result in regulations. It is not only in camper-land. It's an ongoing struggle between welcoming tourists and prevent them from taking over the country.

Sandsend there is a car park and it’s muxh nicer than Whitby and you can just squeeze a Cali through the entrance 24hour parking metre :)

Most height restricted car parks are only 2m. Cali with awning needs 2.2 so height barriers not the answer. It’s getting harder and harder to park up and there is a real shortage of affordable parks. £20 a night is way out of many people’s reach.

Most height restricted car parks are only 2m. Cali with awning needs 2.2 so height barriers not the answer. It’s getting harder and harder to park up and there is a real shortage of affordable parks. £20 a night is way out of many people’s reach.
Cali is 2.0m or just under with an awning. :thumb

I’ve “scraped” under (not literally) 2.0m barriers with awning. Maybe they were just labelled conservatively. Quite often the ground is uneven or there is more space one side than the other. Think the best thing is to post a spotter outside if the barrier height is borderline!:D

I’ve “scraped” under (not literally) 2.0m barriers with awning. Maybe they were just labelled conservatively. Quite often the ground is uneven or there is more space one side than the other. Think the best thing is to post a spotter outside if the barrier height is borderline!:D
I can’t do this as I travel alone.

Back