Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Non swivelling front seats

Anybody got a schematic how to remove front seats?
Do I understand it right that the plate can be removed and I can mount the seat directly on the rails?
I don't think special separate seats were developed just for swivelling.

Anybody got a schematic how to remove front seats?
Do I understand it right that the plate can be removed and I can mount the seat directly on the rails?
I don't think special separate seats were developed just for swivelling.

The seats on a T5.1 Kombi have the same hole spacing as the aftermarket swivels.
From memory it is just 4 bolts, one in each corner. Not a big job, be careful of the wires for the seat belt warning light and heating if fitted. They are also heavy so best to have assistance when removing. Don't turn the ignition on whilst the seat belt wire is disconnected or you will get a permanent warning light which will have to be turned off at the dealers.

Any idea what's the height of that plate?

Hi
Thank you all so much for your quick replies. What a fantastic resource this forum is. I feel a bit like I had a lucky escape with not going ahead with this van - everyone seems to agree swivelling seats are essential. The demo in question is registered in Northern Island - which I was planning to bring back to England where I live. (Any pitfalls there I dont't know about, I wonder?).
Fortunately the dealer seems excellent and volunteered the information early on - it certainly wouldn't have occurred to me to ask. It does make me wonder a bit about other unwary traps you might not think about though when buying. Maybe they make some without starter motors and just give you an old fashioned starting handle to keep the weight down?!
Cheers Steve
PS Thanks for the link to the previous thread about this - I'm still getting to grips with forums and wasn't able to find this before.
Hi Steve,
I bought my van from Donnellys in Northern Ireland.
There were no problems, it is UK, I could have paid for the plates to be changed, but I am quite happy with some that look a little different, most folks think they are personal ones.
The dealer was helpful,, and I got a good deal, but his knowledge wasn't that of some of the guys and gals here, but unless you spend many hours on one, I guess it wouldn't be.
Personally I wouldn't touch non swivel seats, and if they were swapped on a new van, I would want a good chunk of money off aswell.

So in theory, the height adjustable seats can't be lowered lower than a seat without plate right?

With the height adjustable seats, without the swivel plates, you start off with a seat that is about 25mm lower and you can adjust upwards from there.

Yea so the swivel version is the highest position and If I remove the plate I will get the lowest possible, right? The adjustable has just 25mm range?

Hi Steve,
I bought my van from Donnellys in Northern Ireland.
There were no problems, it is UK, I could have paid for the plates to be changed, but I am quite happy with some that look a little different, most folks think they are personal ones.
The dealer was helpful,, and I got a good deal, but his knowledge wasn't that of some of the guys and gals here, but unless you spend many hours on one, I guess it wouldn't be.
Personally I wouldn't touch non swivel seats, and if they were swapped on a new van, I would want a good chunk of money off aswell.
Hi
Being new to this forum I can't work out if I can send you a PM? The van I have seen is with the same dealer and I was wondering if I might be able to call you for some advice please? My email is mail@stephenwatson.me.uk
Cheers Steve

Hi
I agree with some of the comments I've seen - the simplest thing would be only to have swivelling seats and to delete any options in future that don't have that.
Or perhaps VW could work out a swivel seat with height adjustment - surely not beyond the realms of design possibility. Oh, and do something with the handbrake when swivelling the driver's seat...
Just saying...

SP0_Ok - I don't think that the Cali swivel is anywhere near as simple as the aftermarket 'plates'. Factory fit is much more clever than aftermarket and an integral part of the seat. If you want to PM me your email then I will happily send you on the Parts Diagram of the VW Cali seat which was kindly sent to me as very valuable info at the height of our problem..

Would the majority agree that the inclusion of non swiveling seats on the Cali price lists was probably an almighty cock-up, caused by starting the document with one they'd just completed for the Caravelle, and failing to edit it properly?