Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No communal toilets/showers until May 17th

Imo. the reason they close down facilitys is simply becose they would need to clean it more frequent as usual and therefore go for the easy solution by closing it .
To be fair, the sites aren't allowed to open the facilities until 17th May, in accordance with government guidelines.

My experience camping last year was that most sites went out of their way to ensure their facilities were cleaned in accordance with the recommendations and to make their visitors feel confident during their stay.

At the first reopening last year the CCC did not open their facilities but the CAMC did. @sidepod didn't mention with whom the booking was made?
SmithyFields, Alstonefield.

Reactions: Loz
That’s how I read it.
TBH, I personally don’t want to be using communal facilities until our general infection levels are down to the same levels as last summer. I will feel much more confident then.

Until then it will be short trips, where we can use our own facilities, and don’t mind not having full showers. I’d be happy to use our portable shower but I think it will be too cold for a while yet!!!
Acclimatise yourself by starting now, at the end of your home shower turning the water to cold. Apart from preparing for cooler camping, research shows it’s a great immune system booster. So a win-win.

Looks like portable loos are going to be a best seller again this year.
We've been very lucky, we are booked on a campsite from the 12th April as it will be Easter holidays still at my girls school. The campsite has contacted me and said there are now only two people booked that week so we can have a shower block and toilet to ourselves!
Where is it? We could all pop along and keep you company

Latest update on the Caravan and Motorhome site now states that Toilets, shared washing and cleaning facilities but excluding showers will reopen on April 12th in line with new government advice.

'Based on the latest Government guidance issued 8 April, we are pleased to be able to open toilets and shared washing and cleaning facilities excluding showers at Club campsites in England which have them, when we reopen on 12 April'.

It does say that they will update the list of sites if some facilities are not ready to re-open in time.

Shared facilities - Great News

more of the club e-mail

We are working really hard to ensure as many campsites as possible can reopen these facilities on 12 April, however due to time constraints and operational issues not all campsites will have toilets and shared washing and cleaning facilities open on 12 April. Please continue to check our website, where we will publish a full list of campsites and what facilities are open very soon.

The current provisional date for reopening showers is 17 May 2021 dependent on further Government guidance.

We have a CL site for April 25 and to my surprise they say their facilities will be open. We won't be using them as we have on board cassette toilet and hot water shower out the back - must remember the swimmies! Don't want to shock the neighbors too much - better let the other half know!

all governments and scientists know that going for a shower is dangerous

all governments and scientists know that going for a shower is dangerous
Being an intelligent person you should know that it is not the act of having a shower that carries a higher risk but the fact that you are in a confined, poorly ventilated space for a lot longer than you would spend doing a Nos 1 or Nos 2 and you know very well that people don't follow the guidelines regarding numbers in shower blocks.
Somethings people Have To Do, such as toilets, and some they don't have to, such as showers.
The answer would be outdoor showers, not something we have many of in the UK.

Being an intelligent person you should know that it is not the act of having a shower that carries a higher risk but the fact that you are in a confined, poorly ventilated space for a lot longer than you would spend doing a Nos 1 or Nos 2 and you know very well that people don't follow the guidelines regarding numbers in shower blocks.
Somethings people Have To Do, such as toilets, and some they don't have to, such as showers.
as an intelligent person. who's now vaccinated. i'll take my chances and go for a shower if i'm allowed, thanks

Most campsite shower blocks we have visited have either been well ventilated or had windows which meant they can be well ventilated.

The English coronavirus restrictions specifically allowed public toilets to remain open throughout all three lockdowns.

Nevertheless, I understand that the roadmap was drawn up at a time when Covid infections were considerably higher than they are now. Changing one aspect of the roadmap out would lead to calls for other aspects to be loosened.

Last year we tended to go at off peak times and met almost no one in the toilets.

as an intelligent person. who's now vaccinated. i'll take my chances and go for a shower if i'm allowed, thanks
And that's the problem. Only 50% of the population has received 1 or more doses of a vaccine and once that figure has increased to 80% or so then I'm sure communal showers will open. We're not all safe until we're all vaccinated or at least in the Herd immunity ball park.

And that's the problem. Only 50% of the population has received 1 or more doses of a vaccine and once that figure has increased to 80% or so then I'm sure communal showers will open. We're not all safe until we're all vaccinated or at least in the Herd immunity ball park.

The 50% figure is a little misleading for at least two distinct reasons.
There are no plans at present to vaccinate children under 18 except in very exceptional circumstances. The percent of the adult population who have received at least 1 jab is over 60%.
The 60% of the adult population who have had at least 1 jab are the 60% most likely to be admitted to intensive care or even die. So much so that for the final 10% or so to be vaccinated the chances of being admitted to intensive care with a rare form of blood clot as a result of the AZ jab is greater at times of low infection (such as now) than being admitted to IC with Coronavirus over any 16 week period.

The 50% figure is a little misleading for at least two distinct reasons.
There are no plans at present to vaccinate children under 18 except in very exceptional circumstances. The percent of the adult population who have received at least 1 jab is over 60%.
The 60% of the adult population who have had at least 1 jab are the 60% most likely to be admitted to intensive care or even die. So much so that for the final 10% or so to be vaccinated the chances of being admitted to intensive care with a rare form of blood clot as a result of the AZ jab is greater at times of low infection (such as now) than being admitted to IC with Coronavirus over any 16 week period.
Yes and to expand on that, if you triangulate the three main sources of good data on actual infections (ignoring national daily test results data which is now heavily 'polluted' by false positives), ie REACT, ONS and Zoe, about one in 1,400 people are currently infected, and falling.

And of those infected, the proportion shedding a lot of virus (ie symptomatic) are quite likely to be isolating, or certainly not all that likely to be out camping anyway.

So your chance of encountering one of those infected pepole in a campsite shower block AND being close to them long enough to contract covid from them is extremely low. And if you were extremely unlucky enough for that to happen, you will almost certainly not be hospitalised and even then almost certain not to die from it because you're either young and not vulnerable, or older but have already had at least once vaccine dose.

As far as I can see, campsite shower blocks could be opened with almost complete safety. Use of them isn't mandatory for anyone still needing or wanting to be hyper vigilant.

Last edited:
Yes and to expand on that, if you triangulate the three main sources of good data on actual infections (ignoring national daily test results data which is now heavily 'polluted' by false positives), ie REACT, ONS and Zoe, about one in 1,400 people are currently infected, and falling.

And of those infected, the proportion shedding a lot of virus (ie symptomatic) are quite likely to be isolating, or certainly not all that likely to be out camping anyway.

So your chance of encountering one of those infected pepole in a campsite shower block AND being close to them long enough to contract covid from them is extremely low. And if you were extremely unlucky enough for that to happen, you will almost certainly not be hospitalised and even then almost certain not to die from it because you're either young and not vulnerable, or older but have already had at least once vaccine dose.

As far as I can see, campsite shower blocks could be opened with almost complete safety. Use of them isn't mandatory for anyone still needing or wanting to be hyper vigilant.

I was going to attempt to put a figure on the protection we as a British nation now have against the worst effects of CV - i.e. against IC admissions. I don’t have all the publicly available information to hand to make an informed estimate, so the best I can offer is a guesstimate, which I would put at 90% plus. This compares very favourably with the implied 50% from the actual figure of 50% of the entire population having had at least 1 jab.

I doesn’t matter what the % ‘s are, have been or will be.
Showers are Shut until they are Opened.
They are a significant contact point on a campsite and something that can be done without whereas Toilets are a necessity for many.
So they may be allowed to open in 3+ weeks time provided nothing untoward happens in the meantime.

Maybe we could start building more covered outside sinks and toilet blocks like the continent??

Just checked and actually (per govt advice issued on Thurs) campsites in England will be allowed to have both toilets and showers open from next Monday, 12 April. However showers will need to be organised to 'ensure no household mixing takes place' (oo-err).

Wales and Scotland are different (well, of course...).

as an intelligent person. who's now vaccinated. i'll take my chances and go for a shower

This doesn’t set the example for the younger generations who had to give up their freedoms (often loosing jobs and enduring economic hardship) when they weren’t at risk of developing serious symptoms to protect the ‘At risk’ group who are now the vaccinated.

It’s one now to wait and move forward as a society earthier than the vaccinated have and have nots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked and actually (per govt advice issued on Thurs) campsites in England will be allowed to have both toilets and showers open from next Monday, 12 April. However showers will need to be organised to 'ensure no household mixing takes place' (oo-err).

Wales and Scotland are different (well, of course...).
Or you could say England is different from the others?

Or you could say England is different from the others?
Yes but I'm sure the large majority of people on this thread live in England and are most concerned with camping within England. And perhaps betraying my feeling that the positions the DAs have taken on covid regs/guidance have been unnecessarily diverse although that was politically inevitable.

(Although being of English/Welsh heritage and married to a Scot, I have several dogs I could potentially back in this particular fight ;) ).

finally. someone who sees it like i do. its not mandatory to go for a shower. its not even mandatory to go camping or even go to the sodding pub for a pint. let people who want to, get their life back. i don't see why they couldn't just insist that caravanners moho's etc use their own facilities and give a key or a code for those without facilities for now. that would reduce the amount of people using them.
people are sh1tting themselves over nothing (pun intended). if you don't want to go out then don't. i'll take my chances.
i've worked right through the scamdemic and all station toilets and train toilets have been kept 100% open and perfectly safe. we aren't even allowed to run a train if the toilet ISN'T working due to the hand washing etc, in fact it's been proven recently that public transport is more covid safe than ever. it's bull crap all this . but hey we can argue and moan, won't change owt will it. i'll be going away still asap.