Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No communal toilets/showers until May 17th

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So just had a booking for Mid April bounce back with a warning that only self-contained units will be allowed before May 17th. FFS!

So just had a booking for Mid April bounce back with a warning that only self-contained units will be allowed before May 17th. FFS!

Where was that? England, Scotland or Wales?

Ive just had a speculative Easter booking cancelled by The Caravan Club, they are saying England open 12th April, Scotland open 5th April and Wales open 29th March.

There is no mention of needing to be self contained on those dates, but they do state in the small print that they are awaiting clarification of some details.

Was wondering about the rules for English camping in Wales from the 29th.

In the section about what could open ‘no earlier than 12 April’, the document(*) describing this stuff for England says

110..... Overnight stays away from home in this country will be permitted and self-contained accommodation - those that do not require shared use of bathing, entry/exit, catering or sleeping facilities - can also reopen, though must only be used by members of the same household.

I would interpret that as not allowing toilet blocks on campsites until 17th May.

(*) https://assets.publishing.service.g...le/963491/COVID-19_Response_-_Spring_2021.pdf

Last edited:
Fully expected this.
Gonna be roughing it for the first couple of months.

In the section about what could open ‘no earlier than 12 April’, the document(*) describing this stuff for England says

108. Overnight stays away from home in this country will be permitted and self-contained accommodation - those that do not require shared use of bathing, entry/exit, catering or sleeping facilities - can also reopen, though must only be used by members of the same household.

I would interpret that as not allowing toilet blocks on campsites until 17th May.

(*) https://assets.publishing.service.g...le/963491/COVID-19_Response_-_Spring_2021.pdf
That’s how I read it.
TBH, I personally don’t want to be using communal facilities until our general infection levels are down to the same levels as last summer. I will feel much more confident then.

Until then it will be short trips, where we can use our own facilities, and don’t mind not having full showers. I’d be happy to use our portable shower but I think it will be too cold for a while yet!!!

I received an email today from a site we have booked for the 15th & 16th of May, they said that they can't have communal facilities open until the 17th but they have allocated us a private toilet room at no additional cost.

Ever since covid reared its rather spiky ugly head I have not used communal facilities and do not miss them. I've managed quite well thanks. Doing without a shower room and a bog with liberal supply of bog roll is not an essential to getting out, about, and being happy.

ALFIE!! Let's warm those tyres up :shocked

Edit: and my first night out is tomorrow night :)

We purchased a toilet tent and Thetford 335 last year, one of our best purchases and will be using it this year too. Also very tempted to get a hot water Geyser as well now they are back in stock.

I can cope with a porta potty in the awning for a weekend break.

Would need the facilities open for half term week though at the beginning of June.

Where was that? England, Scotland or Wales?

Ive just had a speculative Easter booking cancelled by The Caravan Club, they are saying England open 12th April, Scotland open 5th April and Wales open 29th March.

There is no mention of needing to be self contained on those dates, but they do state in the small print that they are awaiting clarification of some details.

Was wondering about the rules for English camping in Wales from the 29th.
Yesterdays the road map for Scotland was 26th of April the whole of Scotland will move back to levels at level 3, level 3 is defined for accommodation for workers and essential only.
"All holiday accommodation (hotels, B&Bs, self-catering, caravan and camping sites) can stay open in line with sector guidance for tourism and hospitality. However, tourists should not travel into, or out of, a Level 3 area for holidays or visits" and currently that includes no travel in or out except for essential journeys. Back by law on Travel at the moment but there is a mention there will be modifications to level 3. We don't expect to be able even off we wanted to leave before May/June.

Looks like portable loos are going to be a best seller again this year.
We've been very lucky, we are booked on a campsite from the 12th April as it will be Easter holidays still at my girls school. The campsite has contacted me and said there are now only two people booked that week so we can have a shower block and toilet to ourselves!

Portable loos are going to be a best seller again this year.
We've been very lucky, we are booked on a campsite from the 12th April as it will be Easter holidays still at my girls school. The campsite has contacted me and said there are now only two people booked that week so we can have a shower block and toilet to ourselves!
Having said we would never, we just bought one.

Thank you for your interest in making a booking at our National Trust campsite.

Unfortunately, following the latest Government coronavirus guidance we’ve had to close the site until May 16th due to our shared facilities. As a result we can’t accept your booking.

We hope to re-open the site on May 17th and you are welcome to book online for a later date.

You may see your original transaction showing as pending for 3-5 days in your bank account but don’t worry, no money will be taken, and you don’t need to do anything.

We’re sorry for any disappointment and look forward to welcoming you on site once restrictions have been lifted.

Warm regards,
The National Trust campsites team

It seems strange that the first thing the Government requested last March was to reopen public toilets as they has very low covid risk, and allowed as many people to get out into the open air (seemingly the safest place in a pandemic).
Are campsite toilets more dangerous than those supermarkets, garden centres or National Trust properties?
I don't think this was considered when the latest rules were drawn up this week.

It seems strange that the first thing the Government requested last March was to reopen public toilets as they has very low covid risk, and allowed as many people to get out into the open air (seemingly the safest place in a pandemic).
Are campsite toilets more dangerous than those supermarkets, garden centres or National Trust properties?
I don't think this was considered when the latest rules were drawn up this week.
I don't take a shower or brush my teeth in Public Toilets.
But I don't see why they cannot open with toilet/shower blocks closed. I'm booked into a site nr Lincoln in mid May. Apart from facilities being closed, and they make sure you know that, no problem.

I don't take a shower or brush my teeth in Public Toilets.
But I don't see why they cannot open with toilet/shower blocks closed. I'm booked into a site nr Lincoln in mid May. Apart from facilities being closed, and they make sure you know that, no problem.
and hopefully adjust the price a little too.

At the first reopening last year the CCC did not open their facilities but the CAMC did. @sidepod didn't mention with whom the booking was made?