Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Ferry Questions

Blackbrogue1962

Blackbrogue1962

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Picked up our Cali Ocean in Jan and enjoyed a number of short trips already from home near Edinburgh. We plan to travel to Europe later in the year, potentially taking 2 x approx 4 week trips a year as recently retired. Grateful for advice from more experienced members on the following questions:
- If heading to Germany/Alps, do people consider the extra cost of ferries from Newcastle and Hull beneficial in comparison to driving to Dover/Eurotunnel?
- If we’re heading to SW France/Spain my preference would be to sail with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth. Do these sailings get booked out all? I’m guessing they do during weekends and school holidays, but we’d hope to avoid travelling during these periods.
- Is it correct to assume that regardless of the time of year there’ll always be availability on the Shuttle if flexible on time of day?
- We’ve joined both CAMC and the CACC, but what is the best way of accessing the cheapest fares and when.

The key issue is that having retired, it’s harder in some ways to commit to booking a period of time to travel later in the year. Enjoying the flexibility of having a Cali, my hope is to book trips at relatively short notice in contrast to booking a summer holiday at Christmas when I worked. What I want to avoid is the disappointment of not being able to travel as there’s no short notice ferry. Very grateful for any comments or advice.

I can only answer for Le Shuttle as I struggle with boats now. Shuttle has always been available for us, I’ve seen massive queues, hours long in school holidays And sold out on the website for normal tickets. For added peace, a flexiplus ticket is expensive but takes away any anxiety. I’ve booked on the way to the port. Always ok, even when normal tickets are sold out. Discount on standard tickets via CAMC.

Welcome - we are also retired and enjoying the Cali life. We have booked the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry ( single) with the Sunday night departure Which we have used on two trips in the past. We favour this crossing as it leaves late pm - it’s two nights on board arriving on Tuesday morning. A great time to arrive as you have the full day to travel to France or Spain/ Portugal. The route takes in a stop at Roscoff for a crew change and then follows the west coast of Brittany on the Monday morning. Some wonderful views to be had on deck.
We are taking the slow road through France with a return ferry from Roscoff to Ireland for a meander on WAW route. then Belfast to Cairnryan and onwards home to Inverness. Around twelve weeks

The benefit (assuming the timings are still the same) of the Hull-Rotterdam service is you get to sleep over most of the journey, arriving in Rotterdam first thing in the morning. This is far more preferable than trekking down to Dover, negotiating the M25 etc. etc. and once you factor in the fuel cost, the fact that you'll need another night of accommodation somewhere etc. I think it's a no brainer if you're either nearby or need to go near to it (which from Edinburgh you will).

I would suggest unless you have massive flexibility in your schedule, I would book ferry crossings. The Cali may or may not be categorised as a car, if not you're into less slot availability straight away. Don't know about Le Shuttle - probably less of an issue as more frequent?

Our approach for our upcoming trip to Europe is to "bookend" the trip, so we've organised campsites and ferry crossings that link up nicely. Our time on the continent is relatively flexible by comparison.

Welcome - we are also retired and enjoying the Cali life. We have booked the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry ( single) with the Sunday night departure Which we have used on two trips in the past. We favour this crossing as it leaves late pm - it’s two nights on board arriving on Tuesday morning. A great time to arrive as you have the full day to travel to France or Spain/ Portugal. The route takes in a stop at Roscoff for a crew change and then follows the west coast of Brittany on the Monday morning. Some wonderful views to be had on deck.
We are taking the slow road through France with a return ferry from Roscoff to Ireland for a meander on WAW route. then Belfast to Cairnryan and onwards home to Inverness. Around twelve weeks
Thanks for your reply. The option of returning via Ireland is an interesting one as my wife’s from Dublin and we’re regular visitors.

Picked up our Cali Ocean in Jan and enjoyed a number of short trips already from home near Edinburgh. We plan to travel to Europe later in the year, potentially taking 2 x approx 4 week trips a year as recently retired. Grateful for advice from more experienced members on the following questions:
- If heading to Germany/Alps, do people consider the extra cost of ferries from Newcastle and Hull beneficial in comparison to driving to Dover/Eurotunnel?
- If we’re heading to SW France/Spain my preference would be to sail with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth. Do these sailings get booked out all? I’m guessing they do during weekends and school holidays, but we’d hope to avoid travelling during these periods.
- Is it correct to assume that regardless of the time of year there’ll always be availability on the Shuttle if flexible on time of day?
- We’ve joined both CAMC and the CACC, but what is the best way of accessing the cheapest fares and when.

The key issue is that having retired, it’s harder in some ways to commit to booking a period of time to travel later in the year. Enjoying the flexibility of having a Cali, my hope is to book trips at relatively short notice in contrast to booking a summer holiday at Christmas when I worked. What I want to avoid is the disappointment of not being able to travel as there’s no short notice ferry. Very grateful for any comments or advice.

We are in the same boat, excuse the pun, recently retired and looking to make 4 week trips to continent, rather than do the big trip thing.
If you book DFDS from Newcastle to Amsterdam during February there is a 20% discount. Book it as a “ high car “ . I am assured you can do this, and the van is well within the dimensions. For us it worked out at £304 return, that’s sailing next week.
You can easily bump that up to £500 if you book dinner and breakfast on board.We‘ll take sandwiches ! If you want to sail later it gets dearer, play around with different dates on the website. The Direct Ferries website will give you quick price comparisons of all the crossings for particular dates.
You will save a bit by driving toll free through Holland and Germany if you are heading for the Alps.
Shop around and weigh up the pros and cons.

Welcome we are another couple keeping the demographics of this forum perhaps just out of the flush of youth ha! ha! In our experience booking crossings 2-3 months ahead generally gives better prices. Traveling mid week on routes with at least daily crossings is cheaper than Fri - Mon. If your plans change, (and ours do) then most crossings allow you to change a crossing day/time or re book later in the year for a fee so always worth asking. Also some crossings offer flexible fares but are more expensive than standard.

For all the great adventures our Cali has given us in recent years I don't mind sometimes having to roll costs on and just plan another trip.

We love the tunnel and for many years were “frequent travellers” with the discounted tickets that gave us. Post Covid and frequent traveller has ceased. Crossing prices have gone stupid. Sadly, We’ve found ourselves taking the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferries overnight and still saving money against the tunnel prices. three times ( all return trips) it’s been cheaper than the tunnel. Tunnel is much more flexible though

I used to drive though France to Spain but now prefer Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth. We go for the 2 night crossing as gives all day to get to Portsmouth. We can go either way around the M25 and always check the traffic but the shortest for us is over the Dartford crossing. There is always the possibility of it being closed. The ferry does fill up quick but not seems possible if you do not mind a internal cabin or just a seat. No use if you have a dog unless you book well in advance. We are fussy so book at least 6 months in advance. Always book a flexible ticket as changeable.

CAMC or CACC do a discount not sure which as joined Brittany ferries club.

You could always do a experimental booking to see the rates. Web site is easy as long as you suggest a date.

If you have a morning crossing with a campervan you can stay the night before at the port of Portsmouth as long as you arrive after 10pm.

Brittany ferries also go to France.

I would suggest you plan your crossing on how long you want to drive in UK over how long in Europe.

I have done Harwich to Hook Van Holland but Rotterdam is just like driving around the M25.

The tunnel is the easiest other than the roads to it on UK side. Easy on France side. Great if you want to visit the north of France. You can avoid Paris by going via Rouen south.

Dover can get congested but more options of crossings.

I used to drive though France to Spain but now prefer Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth. We go for the 2 night crossing as gives all day to get to Portsmouth. We can go either way around the M25 and always check the traffic but the shortest for us is over the Dartford crossing. There is always the possibility of it being closed. The ferry does fill up quick but not seems possible if you do not mind a internal cabin or just a seat. No use if you have a dog unless you book well in advance. We are fussy so book at least 6 months in advance. Always book a flexible ticket as changeable.

CAMC or CACC do a discount not sure which as joined Brittany ferries club.

You could always do a experimental booking to see the rates. Web site is easy as long as you suggest a date.

If you have a morning crossing with a campervan you can stay the night before at the port of Portsmouth as long as you arrive after 10pm.

Brittany ferries also go to France.

I would suggest you plan your crossing on how long you want to drive in UK over how long in Europe.

I have done Harwich to Hook Van Holland but Rotterdam is just like driving around the M25.

The tunnel is the easiest other than the roads to it on UK side. Easy on France side. Great if you want to visit the north of France. You can avoid Paris by going via Rouen south.

Dover can get congested but more options of crossings.
Useful tip regarding ability to overnight in Portsmouth after 10pm, would give us the whole day to drive down from Scotland which is doable.

Useful tip regarding ability to overnight in Portsmouth after 10pm, would give us the whole day to drive down from Scotland which is doable.
Free upgrade to flexi-ticket with Brittany Ferries atm.

The long crossing is great to Spain - lovely way to start your hols - we’re off at the end of May for 7 weeks - can’t wait.
I’ve never failed to get a tunnel ticket at a reasonable price - just avoid the mad school rush to and from Europe. Never get a return to give greater flexibility.

we keep hoping the Harwich to Esjberg ferry returns.
getting to Scandinavia was so much easier then :)

Free upgrade to flexi-ticket with Brittany Ferries atm.

The long crossing is great to Spain - lovely way to start your hols - we’re off at the end of May for 7 weeks - can’t wait.
I’ve never failed to get a tunnel ticket at a reasonable price - just avoid the mad school rush to and from Europe. Never get a return to give greater flexibility.
It’s the flexibility I’m keen to retain, thanks for your advice

Both CCC and CAMC offer discounts on crossings. We’ve only used CAMC (twice), and it worked out to about 15% against the standard fare (advertised as 10%). It beat the ferry fare savers type sites.

Poole (Brittany Ferries) allows you to stay over night in the Brittany ferry’s port, 24hr toilets & showers.
Cafe in port opens AM - afternoon.

restaurants & shops, a short Amble into Poole.

Ferry Staff will tap an your windows to wake you up in ample time if you park in the relevant ferry lane. (it’s like a personal alarm call )

It’s the flexibility I’m keen to retain, thanks for your advice
Brittany Ferries we’re brilliant in helping me change my booking a few years ago as I had to get home due to a family emergency through their flexi ticket offer - and refunded me the difference in price.

We live in Cornwall and travel to the Alps in winter and south of France in summer/autumn in our Cali. As retired we are also commitment phobes and always go for flexible tickets which can be cancelled or amended up to a few hours before, they may be more expensive but well worth it in my view and often save money in the long run. For the winter ski trips the shuttle is great, we stay overnight at the Holiday Inn express channel tunnel (5 mins away) and get a very early shuttle to get down to a hotel in the Lyon or Chambery area comfortably in the day, just a couple of hours from the slopes. If you can splash the cash the flexiplus ticket is great, you just roll up and get the first train every time - even if the 'free' sandwiches and coffee in the Flexiplus lounge are really costing about £200! In the summer I love the Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Caen overnight with a good cabin, you can get a meal if you like, a decent sleep (about an 8 hour crossing) and ready for the off and a full day driving south, or home in the day on the return. A flexible overnight ticket is more expensive but you save time and costs en route. And you can buy some really nice but good value wine on board.

Hi, we’re also recently retired but have had Calis for a while, on our second one which we picked up last year. We live in Belfast and use ferries A LOT and my only advice is book early if you can. The issue is not so much booking the ferry, it’s getting a cabin or pet friendly cabin if it’s an overnight sailing, eg Belfast to Liverpool or Ireland to France.

Hi, we’re also recently retired but have had Calis for a while, on our second one which we picked up last year. We live in Belfast and use ferries A LOT and my only advice is book early if you can. The issue is not so much booking the ferry, it’s getting a cabin or pet friendly cabin if it’s an overnight sailing, eg Belfast to Liverpool or Ireland to France.
Agree. Left it late last year and no cabins available for Spain crossing - done the seat only one year never again!

We have been using Brittany Ferries for years as car drivers & now in our California and can’t fault them at all. The flexi ticket is great, especially if you get it included with their start of year offer.
In fact I'm writing this from a rainy St Malo having done the overnight from Portsmouth for a long weekend away!

DFDS booked through CAMC for me.
For west and south, Newhaven Dieppe as you can overnight both ports. In car park at Newhaven and in one of the aires in Dieppe.
Dover Dunkirk if heading east and south.

Which route/ferry to use needs some pre planning.
Basic ferry cost taking departure and arrival times into account as driving time to the ferry could take considerable time plus arrival time can be late at night restricting onward travel before a stop needed.

fuel costs for to and from ferry between home and final destination.
Cheap ferry may have high fuel penalty.

From my logic a long night crossing from Newcastle would arrive the next morning leaving you fresh for a long daytime drive. No time lost as break/rest taken onboard whilst crossing after leisurely drive down through borders rather than motorway long haul.

As suggested previously look at ferry times and costs as the day and time can have quite a saving.

Short notice ferry booking usually have a cost penalty as any discounts disappear.

Another vote for DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe. We use this crossing in preference to big queues on the Dover Calais route. A bit longer at sea, shorter land journey for us, on both sides. Discounted fares through CAMC - and if going in convoy, you can book in more than one vehicle on the same membership discount.