Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

not a beginner anymore...

A

Ant Clerici

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I guess since we had our van since last April we aren't beginners anymore?
  • 27 nights in the van
  • including 5 nights on a Brugge/Arhem trip with 4 of us
  • packed up in the dry just the once!
  • 5 ferries
  • several trips to the tip
  • cooked breakfast for 9
  • tested the wine/beer cooler....er...fridge
  • loved the Remoska
  • sorted out sleeping (up or down, heads to the front or rear)
  • bravely gone under 2m high barriers
It's all pretty good!

Ferries booked for a trip later this year to Norway....

IMG_1536.JPG

nice to hear you love the Cali..... did you check out my tread on our three weeks trip to Norway in june 2015?

Sound like lots of fun.
Interesting to hear about the Remorska.

Sound like lots of fun.
Interesting to hear about the Remorska.

Bought from Lakeland for camping with hook up - we use it more than our conventional oven at home, much more. In the van (Vikky) on short trips we take precooked (by me) frozen meals and re-heat in the Remoska.
But it is versatile - breakfasts, cakes, roast spuds, chicken etc Takes a few minutes to heat up but v economic and easy to clean. It's become an essential part of our van trips.

Bought from Lakeland for camping with hook up - we use it more than our conventional oven at home, much more. In the van (Vikky) on short trips we take precooked (by me) frozen meals and re-heat in the Remoska.
But it is versatile - breakfasts, cakes, roast spuds, chicken etc Takes a few minutes to heat up but v economic and easy to clean. It's become an essential part of our van trips.

I've not got my Cali yet so I'm just looking ahead here - the Remoska sounds like a possible 'mobile oven' solution for me, so I'm curious... Does the Remoska only work when on a hook up, or will it heat up when off grid, with the engine off or on? Thanks!

Only on hook up. We cook and eat in the van every night when we're away and just take our remoska, a small saucepan and the kettle. It is very versatile, but rather slow if it is full of potatoes or similar solid veg. It cooks sausages very well!!

I've not got my Cali yet so I'm just looking ahead here - the Remoska sounds like a possible 'mobile oven' solution for me, so I'm curious... Does the Remoska only work when on a hook up, or will it heat up when off grid, with the engine off or on? Thanks!

You need hook up for the Remoska (unless anyone knows different), I guess you might be able to stick the pot on the hob I don't know if it was designed for that - ask Lakeland.

Which ferry did you book UK-Norway? It's a bucket list trip, would love to do it!

We are thinking of getting a Remoska for Christmas. Does a chicken fit in it? Also could you please advise roughly how long would roast potatoes and a jacket potato take?

We are thinking of getting a Remoska for Christmas. Does a chicken fit in it? Also could you please advise roughly how long would roast potatoes and a jacket potato take?

This sounds like a "how long is a piece of string?"
Go view a Remoska at Lakeland and you'll see how big a bird will fit!
I'd practice cooking stuff rather than go straight to an important meal: spuds vary (size etc), jackets work best with a short skewer (or little spoon) push though - to conduct the heat to the inside.
Remoska publish cook books.

You can use cooking bags

It cooks almost everything - I've even made bread when camping (pack dry ingredients in a poly bag - pre measured)

As I said we love ours and use it a lot at home and for most camper meals (with hook up)