Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New VW T5 Westfalia Campers

wim

wim

Westfalia will build campers again based on VW T5.
For more info: http://www.westfalia-mobil.net/news/clu ... ellung.php

t5-westfalia-club-joker.jpg

Wim
VW Camper Site
http://www.wimkoelman.wordpress.com

That looks like a Smurf...

Interesting.
Looks like the "Elvis" (beacuse the overhang at the front always reminds me of his hair style) hightop is a long wheelbase.
Not sure I like the double glazed windows on the side!
No pictures of the interior.
On picture 6, Do I spy a Cali in the background or is this a pop top version?

Not sure I like the look of that :shocked :shocked

It doesn't look good - but then it's not meant to - it'll be very practical and if they can get the quality right with the Westie name - it could sell well.

Will be interesting to see if there are RHD versions.

There's always been a kudos with Westfalia and VW's - I sometimes think it is a bit overhyped and my T25 although a multivan has a Westie interior - there's always been conversions about that suit people better.

Would like to see the interior :)

James

The type 2 westies are sought after and considered the rolls royce of conversions
I had one and would agree :thumb

Calikev said:
The type 2 westies are sought after and considered the rolls royce of conversions
I had one and would agree :thumb

They are - and they are lovely. And at the time there was little to touch them.

If you want some idea of a Westie T5

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/merc ... c1023_046/

Might be a good place to start - I believe they make the Marco Polo

It's surprising that VW have never offered an electric rear seat to bed option - I'd take that over an electric roof.

James

Ooh - that's minging. Plastic wheels don't help either.

Not a patch on the original Westfalias although I suspect they would still be well made.

Chris said:

No, that's a Mercedes Vito albeit with a pop-top roof. The high top styling is definitely "challenging" but agree its bound to be practical and at least when you're inside you can't see what the outside looks like.

Paul S said:
Chris said:

No, that's a Mercedes Vito albeit with a pop-top roof. The high top styling is definitely "challenging" but agree its bound to be practical and at least when you're inside you can't see what the outside looks like.

It's called a 'Marco Polo' - it's Mercedes' California rival in mainland Europe, it's based on a Viano.

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/merc ... epth-look/

James

Custard said:
Paul S said:
Chris said:

It's called a 'Marco Polo' - it's Mercedes' California rival in mainland Europe, it's based on a Viano.

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/merc ... epth-look/

James

I have heard several people talking about the Marco Polo over the past few months , someone I spoke to recently was infact trying to import some over to the UK. It is a blatant rip off of the Cali with rear seat on rails etc... I personally do not like the interior but I do like the sunroof ! There is actually a German review here where they put one head to head with a Cali

Mercedes-Viano-Marco-Polo-VW-T5-California-beide-Fahrzeuge-Aufstelldach-Seitenansicht-19-fotoshowImageNew-171e79f4-504329.jpg

Mercedes-Viano-Marco-Polo-Innenraum-Kueche-19-fotoshowImageNew-a3ff0210-504364.jpg

Martin

Interesting review that. There's two things that would put me off the Mercedes - first the looks, the styling is not to my taste it looks fussy - even as a van. Secondly it is not a VW - and personally I like the badge. Even though it is a T5 - I have in part bought it for the 'VW' thing,

I don't know much about the Marco Polo - I know that they can be quite sought after here - obviously they are all imports and LHD. It is like a Cali - I believe it has some things a Cali doesn't but you be sure that the next generation of Cali's will.

James

Totally agree James and at the end of the day it will never be a Cali, also I dread to think of what happens when you take one into a UK Merc dealer with a problem.

I go away camping for 4 nights come back all wet and muddy to find we have new westie's .... Lol

That Westfalia looks like someone has welded a swamp boat on the roof and then cut two windows on the sides - Hideous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they will never be westfalia of old no matter how hard they try ,as long as vw build their own campers .... Sorry westfalia you had your time and left the fold ,so no coming back now ...i'm sure all the other manufacturers will love to have your conversions ,but never come close to the vw name ....
:laugh2 :laugh2 :rofl :rofl

choplee said:
they will never be westfalia of old no matter how hard they try ,as long as vw build their own campers .... Sorry westfalia you had your time and left the fold ,so no coming back now ...i'm sure all the other manufacturers will love to have your conversions ,but never come close to the vw name ....
:laugh2 :laugh2 :rofl :rofl

I agree Lee - the only decent Westie was like yours, and already said here, the type 2.

The type T25 and everything that followed was not the the same for me. Although my Vanagon as a multivan is made by Westfalia

James

Martin said:
Totally agree James and at the end of the day it will never be a Cali, also I dread to think of what happens when you take one into a UK Merc dealer with a problem.

If its anything like the experience we had with our car then it'd be...no I'd better not, I may get sued :!:

I'm afraid all of the posts have missed the major point so far (apart from it looking like a Smurf!).

I think it is based on the LWB Transporter and based on my T4 experience, this T5 will have a completely different interior to the VW Cali.
My guess it will have a rear kitchen, and probably a full bathroom. The link below is a poor video but gives you the idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7wQXX6GDM

It is more of a mini-motorhome and will never be as flexible or stylish as the VW Cali, but it would suit my needs better as I really need a motorhome but don't have the space to park one. There is also no torn roof bellows, need for a Cali-cap etc. When you pull over for a cup of tea there is no need to raise the roof etc.

So,
Style wise = disaster,
Practical use as an everyday vehicle = not great (due to height and extra 30cm length)
Practical use as a family camper used for holidaying and weekends away = excellent

I doubt it will make it to RHD but actually it wouldn't be that expensive for them, as it could be built on the twin sliding door base model, which would overcome the other common criticism of the VW's Cali of depositing rear passengers in the middle of the road rather than the pavement.

Sorry guys but, as a past owner of a T4 LH drive Westie, that kitchen beats the Cali one hands down. It has a draining board built in, it's flat not bowed and is not made of..... Would you believe GLASS. A kitchen designed by campers not automotive men!

And the 'dickhead ' look has actually been around for years albeit in Europe. (apologies for the indelicate term but you know what I mean).

David
PS I have just down loaded Tapatalk and this is my first use... Martin, it is impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DavidofHook said:
Sorry guys but, as a past owner of a T4 LH drive Westie, that kitchen beats the Cali one hands down. It has a draining board built in, it's flat not bowed and is not made of..... Would you believe GLASS. A kitchen designed by campers not automotive men!

And the 'dickhead ' look has actually been around for years albeit in Europe. (apologies for the indelicate term but you know what I mean).

David
PS I have just down loaded Tapatalk and this is my first use... Martin, it is impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sold my t25 westie & early bay westie ,but sounds like you still have your T4 David .. :D

or you regret selling it for a cali :?:

Regret is too strong a word but the Cali is certainly more complicated which worries me a bit, and, to the annoyance of my wife it doesn't have a roof level shelf. In our T4 I took out the roof bed which was in two parts leaving a 3ft deep shelf at the back , ideal for storing junk, wash kits, rain wear etc.
BUT the Cai is brilliant to drive, it's automatic, it's quieter, the internal table design is brilliant and you can open the cupboard doors with the table up. And the roof doesn't require a regular work out at the gym to be able to lowere it. And the blinds are better than the curtains. And the front window blinds can be stored flat on the upper bed for travel which is ace and , and,and, oh yes, the table in the door means we have to put only one extra table in the boot ( we're into tables when camping!).
So, on balance despite your perceptive comment I'm pleased we've got the Cali.

David

DavidofHook said:
Regret is too strong a word but the Cali is certainly more complicated which worries me a bit, and, to the annoyance of my wife it doesn't have a roof level shelf. In our T4 I took out the roof bed which was in two parts leaving a 3ft deep shelf at the back , ideal for storing junk, wash kits, rain wear etc.
BUT the Cai is brilliant to drive, it's automatic, it's quieter, the internal table design is brilliant and you can open the cupboard doors with the table up. And the roof doesn't require a regular work out at the gym to be able to lowere it. And the blinds are better than the curtains. And the front window blinds can be stored flat on the upper bed for travel which is ace and , and,and, oh yes, the table in the door means we have to put only one extra table in the boot ( we're into tables when camping!).
So, on balance despite your perceptive comment I'm pleased we've got the Cali.

David

i hear you David ... :!: :!: ... if i could take westfalia ideas from my old bay & t25 and some from the T4 and combine them with the cali then it would be near perfect and westie/cali would be born :D :D ... :thumb :thumb

Back