Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New vehicle registration

Rupes

Rupes

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
It looks like my new Cali will arrive very close to the 1 April new tax date - most likely just after.

I'm just wondering what are the actual requirements to register a vehicle in the UK. Does it have to physically be in the UK? If so, can it be registered the moment it arrives in the port?

Is there anything I can do to bring forward the date of registration - even just a few days may make the all important difference.

In the extreme - could I collect it from the factory myself and bring it back to UK? That might save 2-3 weeks.

I guess these are questions to put to my dealer but would welcome some thoughts so I might be better informed for that conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like my new Cali will arrive very close to the 1 April new tax date - most likely just after.

I'm just wondering what are the actual requirements to register a vehicle in the UK. Does it have to physically be in the UK? If so, can it be registered the moment it arrives in the port?

Is there anything I can do to bring forward the date of registration - even just a few days may make the all important difference.

In the extreme - could I collect it from the factory myself and bring it back to UK? That might save 2-3 weeks.

I guess these are questions to put to my dealer but would welcome some thoughts so I might be better informed for that conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that the vehicle has to be in the country but can be registered once the dealer has the VIN

Mike

You can't pick it up from the factory. I asked & was told that option is "only available to Car retailers and not Commercial"

This is what my dealer told me when I asked the same question:

To be able to register the California, the vehicle would need to be shipped to the UK and consigned to us as the dealer, at this point we can register, we don’t have to wait until the vehicle is on site. The issue with this is if the vehicle arrives damaged, it’s registered and then very difficult to de-register and return to Volkswagen, this is very, very rare but could happen.

Back