Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New tail gate struts warranty claim

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Today I had the Cali booked in for a service as part of the All in package at my local VW van centre (Leeds). They had a 73 reg California in the showroom so I had a quick look around it to compare my T6 to the T6.1. While I was looking around it I lifted the tailgate and was supprised at how quick it lifted up compared to mine. Anyway I mentioned this to the man booking the work in and hey presto when I picked the Cali up they had ordered the new struts and asked me for a date I want to get them fitted. All under warranty too so all good.

Today I had the Cali booked in for a service as part of the All in package at my local VW van centre (Leeds). They had a 73 reg California in the showroom so I had a quick look around it to compare my T6 to the T6.1. While I was looking around it I lifted the tailgate and was supprised at how quick it lifted up compared to mine. Anyway I mentioned this to the man booking the work in and hey presto when I picked the Cali up they had ordered the new struts and asked me for a date I want to get them fitted. All under warranty too so all good.

The showroom ones sometimes go up quicker as often have the seats from the tailgate opened up on display under the awning.

Mmmm , the chairs were out on display with the awning and table in the showroom. I didn’t think about that…….Ah well , they did check mine (apparently)and have ordered replacements now so I’ll get new ones fitted when they arrive. I will try mine tomorrow with the chairs out to see what difference it makes.

Also can assume the inside cali was warmer than your van outside or in unheated workshop. Likely your replacement struts will give same performance as your old ones.

Mmmm , the chairs were out on display with the awning and table in the showroom. I didn’t think about that…….Ah well , they did check mine (apparently)and have ordered replacements now so I’ll get new ones fitted when they arrive. I will try mine tomorrow with the chairs out to see what difference it makes.
My 2023 Ocean has the 1270N struts on it - you should have a similar code printed on your strut casings. Saw a thread on here previously that talked about 1250N and 1270N being the higher rated ones to cope with the chairs and optional bike rack.

I’ll check tomorrow. My Cali did come with the bike rack attached but I have taken it off for ease of lifting tailgate and because it won’t go in the garage with it fitted. I know mine don’t raise the tailgate as far as it will go now, I have to push it up manually about 6 inch to raise as high as it’ll go

I’ll check tomorrow. My Cali did come with the bike rack attached but I have taken it off for ease of lifting tailgate and because it won’t go in the garage with it fitted. I know mine don’t raise the tailgate as far as it will go now, I have to push it up manually about 6 inch to raise as high as it’ll go
At this time of year, that's normal.

So I checked my tailgate with the chairs out today and yes it goes up perfectly, just like the one in the dealers showroom. It has the 1270 struts fitted as well. I have never noticed the difference before with chairs in and out, probably because I’m too excited unpacking everything when we get to our camping destinations. Anyway I called the VW van centre and canceled the warranty claim and told them the reasons. We had a bit of a laugh about it and even he admitted he never gave the chairs out scenario a thought. Ah well he has learnt something and so have I. Thanks for the replies.

So I checked my tailgate with the chairs out today and yes it goes up perfectly, just like the one in the dealers showroom. It has the 1270 struts fitted as well. I have never noticed the difference before with chairs in and out, probably because I’m too excited unpacking everything when we get to our camping destinations. Anyway I called the VW van centre and canceled the warranty claim and told them the reasons. We had a bit of a laugh about it and even he admitted he never gave the chairs out scenario a thought. Ah well he has learnt something and so have I. Thanks for the replies.
Just as an update - was speaking to my dealer today, as have ordered the bike rack. Sounds like they have upgraded the struts on the Californias over time as he has 4 versions but advises that the 1270N are the latest version. Seems like the 1250 or 1270s are what you need if you have the bike rack as well as the chairs.

If I open the tailgate now (10°C.) with the chairs in (no bike rack), the tailgate will only open 45°. In summer (20+°C.) the tailgate opens completely. With the chairs out in summer I have to hold the tailgate until it's open, otherwise the tailgate will land on the bonnet. Even after 14 years. I have the 1250N struts.

Watch out in the height of summer, especially if you take your bike rack off or have no chairs and clobber in the zipped portion. It goes up fast - watch your chin!!

Just as an update - was speaking to my dealer today, as have ordered the bike rack. Sounds like they have upgraded the struts on the Californias over time as he has 4 versions but advises that the 1270N are the latest version. Seems like the 1250 or 1270s are what you need if you have the bike rack as well as the chairs.

1250n is for a transporter with bike rack
1270n is for a Cali with bike rack & chairs
1130n is for a caravelle / transporter (no bike rack)

Indeed, when chairs are out in high summer, it can be like doing a pull-up trying to get the thing to close!

1250n is for a transporter with bike rack
1270n is for a Cali with bike rack & chairs
1130n is for a caravelle / transporter (no bike rack)
1250N is for a California without bike rack, but with chairs. At least that is what it is on mine. But mine is from 2010.

Back