Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member, hoping to buy new Ocean next year

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all, started doing my research already (all part of the fun!), but can’t buy until next year when the company car goes back. Finding this forum brilliant for all the info I need. This will be our first campervan, we love driving trips and can see ourselves doing a lot more of that now that our recently found love of cruising is looking rather dodgy from now on! Our kids have grown up so it’s just me and my wife and the 2 dogs, although when we tour Europe we’ll leave them behind. We haven’t even seen inside a California yet, we looked at a few outside at Leicester Van Centre recently but it was closed at the time. Even so, we’re both pretty sure a Cali is the perfect fit for us. Saying that, we are still hoping to hire one for a weekend very soon.

Once we’ve hired one, the next step will be to decide on spec/colour etc. I’m hoping the NEC show will go ahead in October as that will be useful. I said to my wife that we could possibly order one then but she thinks that’s too soon - the company car goes back at the end of April 2021.
We love the look of the two-tone paint but haven’t seen one in the flesh, but the colour options are a bit limited it seems. One thing we really aren’t keen on is the light grey seats - not dog friendly at all!! Will have to look at seat covers which is a shame on an almost 70k car.

Think we will go for 4WD too. We have some friends in Switzerland so that may be a reasonably regular jaunt. Spending this much I wouldn’t want to have any regrets regarding spec - my theory is spec up as much as possible - yes it costs more, but we get the benefit of the spec plus it becomes more desirable come selling time.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on, it was only supposed to be a quick introduction!
Thanks for allowing me to join this great forum, I’m sure you’ll be hearing from me a lot over the next few months....

Hi all, started doing my research already (all part of the fun!), but can’t buy until next year when the company car goes back. Finding this forum brilliant for all the info I need. This will be our first campervan, we love driving trips and can see ourselves doing a lot more of that now that our recently found love of cruising is looking rather dodgy from now on! Our kids have grown up so it’s just me and my wife and the 2 dogs, although when we tour Europe we’ll leave them behind. We haven’t even seen inside a California yet, we looked at a few outside at Leicester Van Centre recently but it was closed at the time. Even so, we’re both pretty sure a Cali is the perfect fit for us. Saying that, we are still hoping to hire one for a weekend very soon.

Once we’ve hired one, the next step will be to decide on spec/colour etc. I’m hoping the NEC show will go ahead in October as that will be useful. I said to my wife that we could possibly order one then but she thinks that’s too soon - the company car goes back at the end of April 2021.
We love the look of the two-tone paint but haven’t seen one in the flesh, but the colour options are a bit limited it seems. One thing we really aren’t keen on is the light grey seats - not dog friendly at all!! Will have to look at seat covers which is a shame on an almost 70k car.

Think we will go for 4WD too. We have some friends in Switzerland so that may be a reasonably regular jaunt. Spending this much I wouldn’t want to have any regrets regarding spec - my theory is spec up as much as possible - yes it costs more, but we get the benefit of the spec plus it becomes more desirable come selling time.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on, it was only supposed to be a quick introduction!
Thanks for allowing me to join this great forum, I’m sure you’ll be hearing from me a lot over the next few months....
Hello, like you I’m fairly new to the club and find the forums very useful. I have recently ordered my California Ocean with lots of the available options. I’m unsure when I’ll take delivery but December has been suggested. So, ordering yours in October might fit with your April requirement?

Hello, like you I’m fairly new to the club and find the forums very useful. I have recently ordered my California Ocean with lots of the available options. I’m unsure when I’ll take delivery but December has been suggested. So, ordering yours in October might fit with your April requirement?

I would think so yes, just need to convince the wife!
Would the show be a good place to order anyway?
All the best with your order, you must be excited.

:welcome Phil, your wife and your 2 dogs. I ordered mine back in Sept 2015 and it was over 6 months delivery. After the lockdown, delivery times may be longer (I haven’t been following, others can hopefully share their experience).
I went for the waterproof seat covers - they’ve been on for 4.5 years - I’ll be intrigued to see what the original Cali seats underneath look like when I trade it in next week!

I would think so yes, just need to convince the wife!
Would the show be a good place to order anyway?
All the best with your order, you must be excited.
There might well be a good deal on offer at the show (if it goes ahead - Covid).

:welcome Phil, your wife and your 2 dogs. I ordered mine back in Sept 2015 and it was over 6 months delivery. After the lockdown, delivery times may be longer (I haven’t been following, others can hopefully share their experience).
I went for the waterproof seat covers - they’ve been on for 4.5 years - I’ll be intrigued to see what the original Cali seats underneath look like when I trade it in next week!
Thanks Alison :)

I would add a large chunk of time to your delivery expectations. None of the VW I have bought new ever arrived on time there is always a reason. New model demand, dieselgate and now Covid and expect next it will be trade terms.

Really good idea to hire one for a long weekend at least. It's a lot of money to invest and then find it doesn't work for you.
Hopefully it does and you'll have many happy miles and trips in it!
Sat here on a warm sunny morning doors open, roof up and enjoying my breakfast!

:welcomeWelcome Phil & family, I was at the dealers this week and they didn't even have a Cali to display as stock is so short, they told me lead times on orders are at least 6 months so something to bear in mind.

Hiring is a great way to ensure it's right for you but make sure the company you choose has the 6.1.

New member here as well. And similarly, we hired a Cali a few times over the last two years before finally taking the plunge. Everyone here said it would be the best choice we could make. And they were right. It has been spectacular. Hiring one first is a great way to get a feel for not only the vehicle, but the whole experience.
tons of super helpful users and info here. And the wife and I refer to the forums often. Even while we are on the road! (Where do people put this? What does this symbol in the control panel mean? What ha k would solve this problem? Etc.)
welcome!

Welcome Phil,
Good luck with your search. Yes do hire one because campervan life isn't for everyone.

Tried to find a Cali to look at yesterday but none seem to be in stock at the dealers. We ended up at Conway Caravans and Campers who had quite a few used conversions on show, so we had a look at those. Earlier we also managed to secure a 6.1 to hire for 2 days at the end of this month, from VW Leicester, so really excited about that. It’s only for 2 nights but it will give us chance to compare it to the conversions and actually drive and use it. The conversions were nice but we didn’t like the lack of space when accessing the van from the rear doors.

Sorry, just realised that I ought to post on the main forums really now I suppose! I’ll do that from now on. Thanks for your warm welcome on here :)