Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member awaiting delivery

GrahamB

GrahamB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all - just joined up and already enjoying the discussion on various threads about ownership/accessories etc. So my story is my dad had campers when I was growing up (including a fabulous T2). I have such fantastic memories of those holidays all over the UK, going as far as the Outer Hebrides etc., so I have always wanted one and now with a family of four + golden retriever it seemed a logical step. We hired a T6.1 Ocean from Southampton Campers in the summer and that convinced us it was the way to go. I had also looked into a top spec new T6.1 conversion from Autohaus but found I would end up paying the same money for a similar spec without the unbelievable design quality and integrity of the Cali (and without the strong residual value). Ordered end of August. The spec is:

Ocean 150 DSG Two tone candy white/bayleaf green with Woodstock wheels
Chrome pack
Bed extension + comfort mat
Discover Pro Media
Traffic sign recognition
Direct TPMS
Lockable storage
Alloy spare wheel
Shower connection
Bike rack

I used the best price for this spec from Autoebid as leverage and got nearly the same discount deal from local dealer (Breeze in Poole) - about 10% off overall - which I was really happy with. Now have confirmed build date of week 44 (mentioned inn another thread) and apparently so a good chance of delivery before Christmas assuming no hiccups. Can't wait!

Any advice on 'must have' accessories welcome. I am looking at getting Brandrup seat covers/carpets and a Vango Airbeam driveaway awning. We didn't like the 'awning room' utilising the standard awning - too small and too much faff to pack up everything when you are using the van from the campsite to go to the beach etc. I think I will most likely take the standard wind-out awning off, which some may say is sacrilege :)

I'm probably going to get it professionally detailed and waxed straight after delivery. Anyone got experience of ceramic coatings and would recommend it? It will be my daily drive so want to get good paint protection.

:welcome
Hi and welcome.
Why would you take the awning off ? Wouldn't it leave some holes and compromise the van ?

Hi and welcome.
Why would you take the awning off ? Wouldn't it leave some holes and compromise the van ?
No, it connects into the rail on the cali. So can be retro fitted quite easily, and also removed again.

Hi and welcome.

Fair question. My understanding is the awning just unbolts from the black base rail, so it will just look the same as the nearside one. I know I might be in a minority on this but tbh I dont like the look of it, I think it spoils the lines of the van. Plus I may be wrong but I don't think we would use it much - the plan is to get a driveaway for when we are staying somewhere for a few nights. I can always put it back on if I feel we are missing it!