Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali ordered, unsure about Sat/Nav system

Bloody hell! I never realised. It is indeed 7 digit postcode search, but I've never tried it! It's better than I thought. I'm sure the RNS in my ED30 didn't have it?

Cheers mate :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Bloody hell! I never realised. It is indeed 7 digit postcode search, but I've never tried it! It's better than I thought. I'm sure the RNS in my ED30 didn't have it?

Cheers mate :thumb

I think the firmware was changed on OEM builds around March 2011 and the discs to update were available middle of last year, no doubt to Stu can confirm the exact dates.

I can't remember to be honest Paul but I think it was quite a while ago, V6 or v7 maps combined with a FW upadate (2720??) rings a bell.

Thanks folks some good advice, with forking out the £££ for our new Cali just wanted to make sure about the Kenwood before a decision.
Hmm pro's & cons, however will probably go for it.
Thanks for the advice, better than the salesman at the dealership!

Mark

Can I suggest you ask the salesman to sit in a car with one and have play yourself maybe also do a quick spin with the SatNav to see how it works for you.

In my case I would have spent the £1000 elsewhere, you may be very happy with it but it's subjective and a lot of cash if you do take a disliking to it. Try before you buy :grin:

The kenwood is available as dealer fit so I don't think there is any rush to add it to your order and as others have said you can try it before you buy.

Also if you have it fitted at the dealers you can ask for the factory radio back to keep and then if/when you sell the Cali you can keep/sell the kenwood separately.

Can I suggest you ask the salesman to sit in a car with one and have play yourself maybe also do a quick spin with the SatNav to see how it works for you.

A very good idea, also try to have a play with an RNS510 as well & compare them.

Don't know where you are but maybe you can get together with a member who has each & give them a good try out.

I'm in Milton Keynes if you are any where near you are welcome to have a play with my RNS510.

Ours has the Kenwood system and we like it. A bit slow to start up but once on,its good.

Sound is very good and adjustable too.

I also have a good tech contact who has been very good at responding to a few of my usually daft questions!

Sat nav is mostly good but some Cornish back roads seem to occasionally fox it.

KernowLad said:
Ours has the Kenwood system and we like it. A bit slow to start up but once on,its good.

Sound is very good and adjustable too.

I also have a good tech contact who has been very good at responding to a few of my usually daft questions!

Sat nav is mostly good but some Cornish back roads seem to occasionally fox it.

I like the sound too - I like the Zone control - I have slightly higher volume in the back and it gives a great sound. The slow start up is annoying but I like it. I am also odd in that I don't want an ipod lead in my glovebox, I like the front leads.

James

I have slightly higher volume in the back and it gives a great sound

Same here on the RNS510.

One advantage of garmin units is that you can plan a route with their Mapsource software on your pc then transfer it to the SAT Nav, I assume you can do that with the Kenwood ??

Andy said:
I have slightly higher volume in the back and it gives a great sound

Same here on the RNS510.

One advantage of garmin units is that you can plan a route with their Mapsource software on your pc then transfer it to the SAT Nav, I assume you can do that with the Kenwood ??

Andy

That's a bit technical for me lol :)

I am also Mac man - I am not a PC fan.

Sorry to sound stupid but mapsource sounds exciting - I am off to check that out.

James

I'm not sure either and am also a Mac man.

But on the sound side a few say the Kenwood has better upgrade potential (and has more watts RMS I think) and I also love the way it displays pretty much all my iPhone album art!

Seen a few who have gone from RNS510 to Kenwood - they might just be wanting the latest gadget though.

The zone control is very cool though - an image of your interior with crosshairs then place the cursor where you want to sound to focus.

Sorry to sound stupid but mapsource sounds exciting - I am off to check that out.

Yep I'm not a PC user either.... Ubuntu Linux a free OS !

Mapsource is a program that you have to load your Garmin maps into then you get exactly the same maps & data as shown on you garmin Sat Nav. As said in previous post it is great for pre-planning multiple day routes on computer then loading onto Sat Nav.

Andy said:

Yep I'm not a PC user either.... Ubuntu Linux a free OS !

Mapsource is a program that you have to load your Garmin maps into then you get exactly the same maps & data as shown on you garmin Sat Nav. As said in previous post it is great for pre-planning multiple day routes on computer then loading onto Sat Nav.

Andy

That sounds really good :)

Top tip there :)

James

KernowLad said:
The zone control is very cool though - an image of your interior with crosshairs then place the cursor where you want to sound to focus.

Like this ??? ;)

682d1235770242-whats-latest-firmware-version-rsz_img_1056.jpg

Map source seems to have been replaced with BaseCamp. There are both Windows &Mac versions available for free download from the Garmin site.

Mind I cannot see anyway to get BaseCamp to talk to the Kenwood as it says plug in your device via the USB cable... -_-

JockMacMad said:
Mind I cannot see anyway to get BaseCamp to talk to the Kenwood as it says plug in your device via the USB cable... -_-

USB to USB? There's a slot in your mac/pc and one int the Kenwood

Might not work but an idea

James

Stu said:
KernowLad said:

Like this ??? ;)

That's the one. I am sure all these systems do much the same things - it was just a comment that it was a nice feature on the Kenwood

It's much of a muchness - I can plug my iPod in and enjoy my questionable taste in music and I can navigate my way around. That keeps me happy!

I have read there is different USB port on the back for updating the Garmin, maps etc. which is USB V1.

Given I cannot get to the one on the back I will try the front one but right now don't have a USB to USB with me.

Map source seems to have been replaced with BaseCamp. There are both Windows &Mac versions available for free download from the Garmin site.

I expect, like mapsource, it will not have any maps. You will need a dvd with maps on it & load them into basecamp before you can anything.

Stu said:
KernowLad said:

Like this ??? ;)

Kind of but more 3D and 10x nicer looking... ;) :lol:

Back