Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali ordered, unsure about Sat/Nav system

J

Jasper25

Good Morning All,

Ordered our new Cali 4motion yesterday, however not convinced about Kenwood satnav... I know the other option is iphone / TomTom etc but don't really want cables all over the dashboard.
Is the Kenwood worth the etc ££ or are there other options?

Should arrive in September, cannot wait :D

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

There are people who like the Kenwood, it's not for me I have to say.

I've had RNS510 in several cars so for me it was a no brainer. My Cali was pre built so I installed the unit myself and it's really quite simple.

I don't recall how much it is as a factory option probably >£1500 however it can be bought for <£500 in the usual places. I got mine from a supplier I have used before, latest model and brand new for £650.

I think the best thing to do is to try and use both so that you can decide yourself. In my opinion, both have positives and negatives.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
I think the best thing to do is to try and use both so that you can decide yourself. In my opinion, both have positives and negatives.

cheers

Good advice as ever Alex and I would agree. For example the Kenwood including a Bluetooth Telephone is a bonus for some as it's an additional cost for VW RNS510.

Stu,

When you retro fit the RNS510, where does the satelite receiver go?

Are there any differences between factory or retro fit?

The Sat Antenna is the small beetle back/button type which can be hidden under the dashboard out of sight.

If you had a factory order then first and foremost it would be warranted for three years. The OEM antenna would be in the door mirror I think.

Other than that it's pretty much the same.

This type Phil -

41vVQ8UDs5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Okay, I thought it might be like that, although I also expected it to need mounting on the dashboard, but if it can be hidden underneath, that's great.

Thanks Stu, I need to get this sorted out.

Feel free to give me a shout if you need any help or more advice.

Although not where I live, I work about 35 miles from your place and I'm here for a couple of days most weeks so meeting up wouldn't be an issue if you wanted the coding etc sorted out. :thumb

I'd like to see your bus with the side rails on :mrgreen:

After having the Kenwood fitted I also have to say it's not for me. The inability to have two phones working on Bluetooth at once is a blow on a unit that expensive. I may have to put my £30 Tesco unit back in ...

No generic voice dial you have to record names (max 30) before you can use it when driving or have the number in your recent call list which you must remember to sync.

The SatNav is at best average. The maps cost £76 to upgrade but I did see on the Internet you get a free lifetime UK Traffic feature my registering with Garmin.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/We ... VBT_V2.pdf

All in all for £1000 it's worse than the £249 Maps & More in the VW Up which allows all of the above.

The up sides are the TV & Video but the add on's needed are not exactly cheap. And if you went for TV, Aries and rear screens would be at nearly another £1000.

JockMacMad said:
The SatNav is at best average.

Don't even get me started on that!!

I have the top of the range 3G MMI on my 1 year old A4, nearly £2k option and it's so out of date it's unbelievable. Audi CS provided me with a FoC Map Update in February which can only be done at the dealers at a normal cost of £400. It still features Elf Petrol Stations, many roads are missing and a TOTAL petrol station near me hasn't been a petrol station for getting on 7 years, not to mention the road my almost 5 year old house sits on not being present which is all capped off by only having 5 digit postcode capability.

I have taken Audi to task over this and one of their replies has been that I should have tested it and made myself aware of it's limitations before purchase. Can you really imagine me telling the dealer I need a demo car for 20k miles while I tour the UK & Europe to see if the Nav unit is up to date - I've never heard something so ridiculous in all my life.

The RNS510 is infinitely better than the Audi system which I guess makes me feel even worse about it. Interestingly the mapping in both cases is provided by Navteq so if VW/Skoda can get it right whay can't Audi?? :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor :censor

To be honest, I am slightly bias towards the Kenwood. I have had one in my last three demos including my current one. The only time the sat nav let me down was two weeks ago when we went racingat Cadwell Park and got to a bypass which wasn't on the map yet as it was new.

Other than that I find the nav more intuitive and better than most manufacturers guidance.

Neither option is cheap, so best to do a lot of research. Depending on where you are based you are more than welcome to come down and use my Kenwood to see what you think if that would help?

cheers

I have the Kenwood - if I had my time agin I would have the 510 - it's oem and gives you parking sensor info and sat Nav directions on the dis

That said I think the sat Nav is great, could do with some lane guidence instructions but it works well and it has the ability to find a city and drive to the middle of it. Handy for random exploring.

The Bluetooth for me has always been excellent and in day to say driving its fine. I have no desire to remove it and replace with the 510.

Having the Kenwood does not feel like you are losing out

James

We have also fitted a few reversing cameras for customers with Kenwoods (don't think cameras can be retrofitted to 510?). Useful as that can replace the parking sensor display that you lose from the radio screen.

cheers

I am being dim here then. What's the difference, if any, between the keyword multimedia system in The Cali brochure shown on pg.48 at a cost of £963 and the day nab rns510 at £1935 in the options section to which you can add tv for another £1050.

I have picked the crap unit?

I have had both an OEM reversing camera and a RNS510 retro fitted to my California, so yes it can be done. (and it was cheaper than having them both fitted by the factory....)

I preferred the 510 over the kenwood due to its ability to send information to the DIS. It gives you turn by turn directions right in your dashboard as well as having the general map display.

The 510 will also display front/rear aircon settings and the parking sensor proximity display; basically its just more fully integrated into the car electronics than the kenwood unit.

Simon

Another plus for the RNS510 is the sound output is Dolby DTS Surround so watching DVD's is excellent.

Is the screen on the 510 good enough to watch a movie when you are seated in the back?

shambly said:
I have had both an OEM reversing camera and a RNS510 retro fitted to my California, so yes it can be done. (and it was cheaper than having them both fitted by the factory....)

I preferred the 510 over the kenwood due to its ability to send information to the DIS. It gives you turn by turn directions right in your dashboard as well as having the general map display.

The 510 will also display front/rear aircon settings and the parking sensor proximity display; basically its just more fully integrated into the car electronics than the kenwood unit.

Simon

it should be pointed out here - you can get systems that are fully intergrated into the DIS and not OEM - I agree though, having information on the DIS is useful.

James

I had RHS510 & bluetooth retro fitted to my cali by Hazy Dayz, it all has a three year warranty with map updates for three years.
I can not fault it, that said I probably do not use it to it's full extent.

The kenwood uses Garmin nav system. I have had numerous Garmin sat navs in the past & found them very easy to use. Would even say they are the best sat navs.

I've yet to try the Kenwood nav, but have the RNS in both my ED25 Caravelle and Ed35 GTI, I've also it in previous vehicles as well. In my humble opinion I feel it is the best factory nav out there, having wasted £2000 on sat nav in numerous BMWS, and found them to be totally shocking! Aright it hasn't got full postcode, but there are discs floating around for this I believe, but all the features, HD, touchscreen etc are fantastic, and that you can add Bluetooth for £200 or so. And as Stu says you can retro fit these and all in the cost wouldn't be too dissimilar to the Kenwood.

:thumb

I would've recommended a pioneer system (F9310bt for the facelift) but haven't been overly happy with the F930bt i had fitted to my cali recently.
On paper it looks great with good integration such as parking sensor/air con display etc and very useful lane guidance.
But i'm frustrated by only being able to navigate to campsites via postcode only which can be a bit vague.
And it took about 20 miles to reroute properly when i decided to deviate.
Didn't realise that the RNS510 could be had for about £500, seems pretty good value.

It's must be missing from my Ed25 and ed35 then! And they are 2012/2011 cars. What map version did full postcode mapping come out (as I run out to car to check!)

Back