Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Cali Beach Tour Spec

I'd get rid of the power sliding doors. Got them on mine. A bit glitchy but also pretty slow and make noise. Can be turned off but then door is heavy to open. Power coupling is good though

Thanks for the input all.

One other concern I have before pulling the trigger is regarding the electrics as there’s obviously no EHU on the Tour and I’m struggling to find out much info. From what I gather it‘s got a 75ah leisure battery with a 230v inverter, 1 x 230V socket on the driver’s seat and 2 x 12V sockets in the cab…are there any others in there? And how low should my expectations be regarding a night away plugging in the usual mobile phones, tablet etc? Wondering what options might be available to improve capacity without having to fit an EHU…
I have a 2021 Beach Tour. The only heavy loading I use is refrigeration and the auxiliary heater (definitely recommend) .. which is not so heavy. A cheap 12v powered cool box drains most of the battery on a hot day if not using vehicle so would need to plug that into pitch supply via extension cable. Now I have put a 100W solar panel and use Dometic fridge. The battery is always in good health and now don’t require any hookup. An option you have not mentioned is the tow bar. If you are transporting bikes I prefer a tow bar rack rather than the VW tailgate rack.. down to preference of course.

I have a 2021 Beach Tour. The only heavy loading I use is refrigeration and the auxiliary heater (definitely recommend) .. which is not so heavy. A cheap 12v powered cool box drains most of the battery on a hot day if not using vehicle so would need to plug that into pitch supply via extension cable. Now I have put a 100W solar panel and use Dometic fridge. The battery is always in good health and now don’t require any hookup. An option you have not mentioned is the tow bar. If you are transporting bikes I prefer a tow bar rack rather than the VW tailgate rack.. down to preference of course.
Regarding the power supplies, 12V cigarette sockets RH rear under the multiflex board, 1 on Mid RH side near the bench seat & 1 on dash. 1 x 230V socket (LH side of driver seat) & 2 USB-A sockets (RH side of drivers seat), 2x USB-C on dash.

Hey All

Long time lurker here so nice to meet you all. I am interested in ordering a Cali Beach Tour to run as our daily driver/adhoc overnight camper/bicycle transporter for a family of 2 adults and 2 young kids. The Tour ticks a lot of boxes for us with the twin sliding doors and configurable layout, the flexibility looks absolutely fantastic.

Have selected the following options for our Cali on the configurator, for anyone who has one, is there anything you wouldn’t be without that I should consider adding on? Would look to add an aftermarket diesel heater depending on how often we camp so have left that off for now.

Options
LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights
Wing mirrors - heated, power adjustable and power folding
Canvas Sides. Basalt Grey. Includes panorama window
Front and rear parking sensors
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat
Sliding window in front and fixed window in rear in load/passenger compartment on driver side
Fuel tank with a volume of 80 l
Rear view camera
Awning (housing and rail in black)
Dark tinted glass in rear seat area (Venus 35/Privacy) heat-insulating glass (green) in front
ArtVelours - seat centre section with seat bolsters in leather look
Heated driver and front passenger seats
2 swivel seats w/ longitudinal adjustm. on rail system
Up to 7 seats (figured I’d order these to future-proof and add more flexibility to carry friends/family)
Power sliding doors, left and right

Also a couple of other questions, does anyone know the current lead time for them and also, as a cash buyer what sort of discounts should I be pushing for when speaking to dealers?

I also saw the T6.1 panel and kombi versions are no longer available to order, does anyone know when the stop sale will apply to the Cali as well?

Thanks for any advice on offer!

Jimmy
I found beach tour hard to sell on. £500.00 car tax for 5 years doesn’t help.
Beach with stowaway kitchen £285.00 Car tax. Get a few extras for the difference over 5 years and easier to re sell.

The resale thought did cross my mind but with kids aged 2 and six months (and being our daily driver), I just feel like the twin sliders offer us more practicality day to day than having a popout hob which won’t be used anywhere near as often. The tax difference is admittedly a b****.

The resale thought did cross my mind but with kids aged 2 and six months (and being our daily driver), I just feel like the twin sliders offer us more practicality day to day than having a popout hob which won’t be used anywhere near as often. The tax difference is admittedly a b****.

For what it is worth, over our six years 3 months of ownership of our Beach, and boys growing from ages 1 and 3 to 8 and 9; and 85,000 miles driven, rarely have I been troubled by having a sliding door on one side. On the few occasions when I have been troubled by it, the boys have exited through the front passenger door. The gap between the front seats makes this very easy.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t go for the Beach Tour: it is the van I’d choose if changing vans now, but I am saying that having one sliding door really is not the issue you think it might be.

A beach Camper will be better resale if you think you will replace or sell in a few years.

A single door will be fine.

I never used the pophob in either of my 6.1 Beaches but as a quick to use shelf, it’s fantastic. In fact, if it were a option, I would have a full pop out shelf without a hob if I could.

Last edited:
For what it is worth, over our six years 3 months of ownership of our Beach, and boys growing from ages 1 and 3 to 8 and 9; and 85,000 miles driven, rarely have I been troubled by having a sliding door on one side. On the few occasions when I have been troubled by it, the boys have exited through the front passenger door. The gap between the front seats makes this very easy.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t go for the Beach Tour: it is the van I’d choose if changing vans now, but I am saying that having one sliding door really is not the issue you think it might be.
Yeah this is going to sound morbid but in my mind it’s also going to be easier to get them both out quickly if we have an accident, especially if the front becomes inaccessible.

Out of interest why would you go for the Tour if buying again?

Yeah this is going to sound morbid but in my mind it’s also going to be easier to get them both out quickly if we have an accident, especially if the front becomes inaccessible.

Out of interest why would you go for the Tour if buying again?

We would find the second door more useful than the pop-up hob. (It probably makes a difference that I don’t drink tea. One cafetière coffee in the morning only, then water.)

We would prefer twin sliders, as safer with kids on busy roads when parked with the traffic flow. Also allows you to create a huge camping space….You can use roller awning on one side, and have stand alone awning connected to the van on the other side.

Also

That’s a great point I hadn’t even thought of. Would you need to install a rail on the other side?

That’s a great point I hadn’t even thought of. Would you need to install a rail on the other side?
No, as the Cali has a multirail on both sides of the van. You just slide the awning beading into the this rail; Just needs an adapter:

No, as the Cali has a multirail on both sides of the van. You just slide the awning beading into the this rail; Just needs an adapter:

2nd rail was an option on my Coast.

Ah ok, didn’t realise. VW penny pinching!
It was a cheap option which I had no problems speccing as I wanted to install the additional awning cover on the offside (LHD) for bikes and other camping paraphernalia away from the main living space.

Not sure if it’s mentioned in this thread, but if you opt for the Beach Camper, you can spec the 3-seat bench as an option. This would give you:
- The pullout stove
- Cheaper road tax
- Awning included

Downsides:
- Stove can’t be used with the bed out as the 3-seat bed sits too high.
- Only one sliding door

If you are considering the 2 seat bench, there are some positives and negatives as well.
Positives:
- Bed is flat and not contoured.
- You can sit up in bed when the roof is down.
- Comfort mattress allows for more storage on top of it when travelling.
- Large storage box under the seat and another next to the bench

Negatives:
- You can only fit one extra seat and you will need to fold part of the rear shelf to give legroom for adults.

Others may have more points based on their setup.

CF1C5991-A297-4057-85D1-D0F775D58245.jpeg

Not sure if it’s mentioned in this thread, but if you opt for the Beach Camper, you can spec the 3-seat bench as an option. This would give you:
- The pullout stove
- Cheaper road tax
- Awning included

Downsides:
- Stove can’t be used with the bed out as the 3-seat bed sits too high.
- Only one sliding door

If you are considering the 2 seat bench, there are some positives and negatives as well.
Positives:
- Bed is flat and not contoured.
- You can sit up in bed when the roof is down.
- Comfort mattress allows for more storage on top of it when travelling.
- Large storage box under the seat and another next to the bench

Negatives:
- You can only fit one extra seat and you will need to fold part of the rear shelf to give legroom for adults.

Others may have more points based on their setup.

View attachment 107592
Also worth noting that 3 seat bench gives far more storage under the rear Multiflex board & 3 person bench seat is more contoured in the rear so offers more comfort for passengers.

3 Seat bench can seat up to 7 people with additional seats, so you can take parents to the pub in one vehicle!; 2 seat bench can only seat to 5 (so same as a car) with additional seat fitted.

In terms of rear storage, a couple of photos from California Chris videos show how bulky the Tour comfort mattress is. There is more height to the storage below the multiflex board, but virtually none above.
I highly recommend you watch some of his informational videos.

9A3CF9FA-3957-4A29-A267-6C682B7629B1.png

4C094DB2-159E-4292-8011-479EAE8C1EC6.png

Little known (or at least discussed) fact: the storage box in the 2-seater Beach can be removed in minutes without tools, and a second extra seat can then be added to turn it into a six seater!

The two seater also has another unique little trick up it's sleave - it's the only cali with a folding rear part to its multiflex board that allows the board to stay in, but for the main rear seat to moved back giving a significantly bigger living area. I really like this feature.

(note: in this position the extra seat can be fitted, contrary to what california chris says in his video)

Last edited:
The two seater also has another unique little trick up it's sleave - it's the only cali with a folding rear part to its multiflex board that allows the board to stay in, but for the main rear seat to moved back giving a significantly bigger living area. I really like this feature.
Any chance of some photos of that - if it’s a T6.1 one it’s supposed to be able to fit an Ocean as well & work the same way with the 5th seat fitted.

This thread is turning into an excellent full list of pros & cons of Camper vs Tour.
Could there only be a few weeks left to order one though :cool: . . .

(note: in this position the extra seat can be fitted, contrary to what california chris says in his video)
3 seat MFB also folds down at the front to allow the seat to be moved right back. Also a hinged at the rear which folds upwards to give better access to items stored under MFB.

Default setting for us is MFB fully extended, which still allows fitting of 7 seats, even with a sliding boot tray fitted. Fridge + euro crates sit on the slide out tray.

Beach 2014 best options :

Middle 2 seats
Front and rear parking sensors
Diesel parking heater
Awning
Larger fuel tank
Folding mattress for lower bed
Opening window in sliding door

End

Default setting for us is MFB fully extended, which still allows fitting of 7 seats, even with a sliding boot tray fitted. Fridge + euro crates sit on the slide out tray.

We have multiple default settings (is that an oxymoron?)

Default #1
Short multiflex; 7 seats; lots of legroom
Default #2
Long multiflex; 7 seats; child legroom only
Default #3
Long multiflex; 5 seats; legroom galore.
Default #4
Super extended DIY multiflex (1m deep); 5 seats (bench positioned for making the bed); lots of legroom

Back