Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nearly new owner!

eskimo

eskimo

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi All at VWCC,

I have gone from van to shuttle, to veli and saw a 2007 Cali for sale on here yesterday and had sent the deposit within 20 minutes of it being listed, haven't seen it yet but its been stored indoors with dehumidifiers next to Bently's and the like so not to concerned. It's a 2007 Shadow Blue SE 174 4Motion on 18600miles, my Veli has the same engine and has done 154k so really pleased to get one with less miles.

I have been looking at all sorts of conversions and reading what I can find about the VW Cali but I have one burning question I hope one of you can answer. Are the doors/walls insulated as they would be in a after-market van conversion?

Any advice as to what to look out for when I go to pick my new vehicle up next week would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Wow that must be one of our quickest ever sales on here.
Congratulations it sounded a great van. I'm sure the seller will put you right with what it should come with he obviously looked after it.

I found an original 2007 Cali brochure online last night. I'll post it as it might help others. Still want to know about the wall/door insulation though, I can't see anything in the threads.

Attachments

• 2007 T5 California brochure.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Welcome to the club. The brochure is very interesting to see what has changed over the years. Have a great time with your Cali.

The cali is based on the caravelle and is more refined than a standard van more soundproofing etc it has double glazing not sure about extra insulation but with the night heater it doesn't matter

Welcome Eskimo ......

I found an original 2007 Cali brochure online last night. I'll post it as it might help others. Still want to know about the wall/door insulation though, I can't see anything in the threads.

hi eskimo sounds like a nice van didn't see it advertised got any pictures love the brochure ive got a t5 kitted out myself does everything but no roof saving up slowy got to get a California good luck

Cheers buddy
Hotel California.......sounds like a cue for a song....I'll stop before I clear the room! I'm in with the "18 'till I die" though.

hi eskimo sounds like a nice van didn't see it advertised got any pictures love the brochure ive got a t5 kitted out myself does everything but no roof saving up slowy got to get a California good luck
Hi Chinny, current pics aren't up to much. I'll post some next weekend though.

Goodness,

I suppose all that insulated living in an Igloo makes you ask the question about the Cali.

Well, I don't know but what I do know is that with it looking like an Igloo covered in snow in January I was so ridiculously warm under my duvet at night with the heating on tickover that sometimes I had to turn the heat off altogether.

Welcome Mr Eskimo ... :D

Hi Eskimo and welcome.

Thanks for posting the brochure. Striking thing for me is how LITTLE things have changed since 2007. Quite topical given the recent T6 announcements.

Cheers and enjoy :thumb

Welcome Eskimo. Our Cali is 2008 and I think you'll notice almost nothing different in the camping department from a brand new model. Sounds like you have found a gem. Enjoy!

The California does not have the plastic thermal insulation and heat reflecting stuff you see being fitted in conversions, nor the carpet lining. It doesn't need it because it is an all year round camper so has the built in heating system. One of the big problems with conversions is condensation being trapped under the insulation leading to all sorts of problems. If used only during the summer not too much of a problem but if used all year round can be problematic.The internal trim with the added sound proofing and double glazing combined with the very efficient diesel heater can cope with very extreme conditions.
Enjoy the ultimate camping experience.:thumb

?
....Are the doors/walls insulated as they would be in a after-market van conversion?

Thanks.

I haven't yet camped in winter so I can't comment on heat but the noise insulation is amazing. I tried sleeping 'upstairs' in my van in my garden but the dawn chorus was too much :( (sorry birds, I hate to complain about you but my sleep is precious). I moved down, closed the roof and . . . much quieter. Still heard the birds, same decibels as inside my house. :). Beautiful!

I have to say a huge thank you to all of your posts, a very warm welcome. GrannyJen you have to have a special mention because your signature had me belly laughing for ages and still makes me smile, must be true and fitting!

So 10 days after a knee op I managed to cadge a lift to Andover station, train to London, tube across London, train to Hull (with leg up to get swelling back down), lift from seller to my new van. Have to say it looked tired but with what I had read on this site and years of Transporter experience a deal was done. Three hours later I was enjoying a beer with a friend in Nottingham and decided to sleep in the van that night. Until then I had always wanted a Cali but hadn't even looked in one, I continue to be amazed. I'm a real fussy bloke and an engineer and as yet haven't found anything to say "why didn't they....". It really has only done 19k. I changed the oil, filters etc at the weekend and upon removal of the belly pan it was gleaming underneath.

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks again for a very warm welcome and I hope to meet you on our travels.

Welcome eskimo! I look forward to see some pics of your cali! enjoy the ride!