Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mystery Photographer

Nottledim

Nottledim

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Today just after dark an older bald headed man walked onto our driveway, took several pictures of our Cali, using his phone with flash, and walked off talking on his phone.

We were out but our neighbour saw him.

This feels very suspicious, has any one had a similar experience?

Extra security measures are now in place!

Maybe a Cali enthusiast.....we Brits are far too suspicious & paranoid these days......

Go and turn your drivers seat around, drop the
blinds and put the heater on no.2 if it worries
you.

We obviously all love calis on here. And probably vw vans in general. But that does seem weird

and now it is the next day - is it still on your drive?

That’s just odd....nobody should enter you property taking pictures of you cars no matter what you own .

I doubt a thief would need to take pictures with flash, he would just check it visually for anti theft devices. Weird but probably just wants to show his missus how cool a Cali is inside.

Today just after dark an older bald headed man walked onto our driveway, took several pictures of our Cali, using his phone with flash, and walked off talking on his phone.

We were out but our neighbour saw him.

This feels very suspicious, has any one had a similar experience?

Extra security measures are now in place!

I'd definitely report this to the police. Get it on record!

Or it could be somebody taking photographs for a potential theft of the vehicle for example a catalogue and then you could choose which colour.

Good afternoon,

That is strange. On on side it is such a obviously strange behaviour that a potential thief likely wont do. At that point this man cannot be sure that you didn't have a camera pointing onto the drive way and so a picture of him was taken.

On the other side to step into a driveway in the dark, taking pictures with flash (well, it is dark) is not normal behaviour. One can only guess what he was up to.

For 17 years we lived in Maynooth (semi detached) and I toyed with the idea to get a "driveway security post", something like this:
upload_2018-11-7_13-14-29.png
(looks actually similar as we had in the old house).

A few years ago we moved into the country side and have an automated gate now. Not that this gate can't be overcome, but it ensure that nobody "wanders" in. If the gate is closed and somebody is in the driveway or front garden then it is an intrusion.

So, maybe you want to consider to get this post installed?

Regards,
Eberhard

Thieves are getting quite brazen and don't even try too hard to hide things these days because they know the police numbers are low and the chance of being caught is next to nothing.

Personally I find anyone taking a picture of your Cali a bit odd, its not like its at a show or in the road, it was on your drive.

Keep your eyes open on Auto Trader or ebay. :Nailbiting

Thieves are getting quite brazen and don't even try too hard to hide things these days because they know the police numbers are low and the chance of being caught is next to nothing.

Personally I find anyone taking a picture of your Cali a bit odd, its not like its at a show or in the road, it was on your drive.
I agree. There are millions of pictures on the net if someone wants to see what they look like. So there is no need to take a pic of someone else's unless maybe they have a modification that looks cool. Even then, most normal people would resist the temptation to invade another's privacy.

We are in the process of installing cameras, we don’t have a dog anything like a fierce as Eberhard’s. We do have very good neighbours though.

Thanks to all for you comments

Hi to all,
I do think (situations) of parked "desirable vehicles" gets monitored by some who "fly below the radar", !!! adding simple cctv from an upstairs room can monitor the (baby) , then the driveway "security post" adds to the degree of difficulty in moving (it ) if targeted. :)

My blink camera is actually in the van, records direct to cloud and signals me by phone immediately. Wireless and simple. Screenshot_20181111-112700_Blink.jpg

Hopefully just a Cali-pervert who’s fetish got the better of him. Caught-out by the fact his phone-camera-flash was set to auto.

Whatever his motives you can only afford to look at this one way, with suspicion!

As others have already said strengthen your security measures.

1. Turn the drivers seat round the other way and pull the blinds down.
2. If you have another vehicle and the space then block your Cali in on your drive way with the other car. If not then,
3. Consider fitting a removable security post on your parking area and/or a wheel clamp. (Remember to place a suitably worded label on the steering wheel when the security post is in place).
4. How about a steering wheel lock for good measure.
5. PIR outside lighting.
6. A hidden ignition immobilizer switch.
7. When you remove the keys ensure the steering is locked.
8. Employ a massive burgular bum biter dog to savage any would be Cali theives.