A sad look back

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I have told this story before, and some of you know about it. I am not writing to be pitied, but rather because I need to share my frustration upon how justice can fail due to poor police work.

Today I discovered a web page that actually does document accidents. I made a quick search and discovered that there where a file from our crash last year. Documented by pictures and film.

My heart gets heavy when I see it all again, and I am so happy we all survived without any major injuries. That is, after all, the most important thing.

We were able to get back in a new T6 shortly after. But the aftermath is still going on, it took the police a year to write the police report, the insurance fight with the opponent's company is still in process (the accident was end April 2017), my wife and daughter are still anxious when in traffic. My daughter did not get her license as planned, and she still is not ready to become a driver. All in all, have we spend a lot of energy, time and money because one man did not concentrate on driving, and went straight across the red light.

The guy fleed the scene. But he came back by foot to pick up his bumper and license plate. And I do not know why, but among all the people gathered I was sure he was the guy, despite I never saw him. So I confronted him and he admitted. After that, I tried to flee again, and I had to make somewhat civil arrest on him.

Last month I finally was able to receive the official papers from the court. The police report was so unbelievably full of fails. The guy was never charged for other than crossing red light. He lost his right to drive for 12 months and had to pay a fine of 2.500 DKK (About 320 €). He was never charged for his attempt to flee (twice) nor that he actually was driving in a car that was not allowed on the road. Even though I have adressed the issues to the police on several occasions.

A part of us feels that justice has not been met at all. But do we have the energy to roll the ball again? We are so disappointed by the police, that almost leaves me speechless.

2016-04-25-213448-bpn_00015_t2.jpg2016-04-25-213626-bpn_00017_t2.jpg2016-04-25-213654-bpn_00021_t2.jpg2016-04-25-214310-bpn_00030_t2.jpg2016-04-25-214708-bpn_00033_t2.jpg2016-04-25-215234-bpn_00035_t2.jpg2016-04-25-215547-bpn_00040_t2.jpg2016-04-25-215659-bpn_00005_t2.jpg2016-04-25-215748-bpn_00010_t2.jpg

Sorry to hear about your frustrations - but It is heartening to read that your police and justice system is just as hopeless as ours in the UK.

Tragic. You are fortunate to have survived, but a terrible experience for you all. It’s amazing how much people just do not think of “what can happen” when they are driving along.... their own, and lives of others, can change drastically in a split second.

If nothing else a tragic story to make dashcams almost essential. The police are being reduced to a service attending only certain types of crime and leaving the insurance companies to do the hard work. The answer it seems is to gather information and the more photographs you can take the better, if for no other reason but to help your claim. Sad story.

I was amazed (and relieved, as we all were) at the time that none of you were physically hurt. That’s the main thing, always, but I too would be furious that “nothing has been done”.

Realy great you had the courage to pick up thesame way of living again after that accident , i think many of us would probally back-off for a while before ordering a new Cali ....it seems you had no doubts and headed straight further ...a brave thing!
Can not imagine what such a accident does with your fait in other drivers and your trust in the law (and don't want to know that feeling , to be honest )
Keep your head up and keep Cali-ing!

Realy great you had the courage to pick up thesame way of living again after that accident , i think many of us would probally back-off for a while before ordering a new Cali ....it seems you had no doubts and headed straight further ...a brave thing!
Can not imagine what such a accident does with your fait in other drivers and your trust in the law (and don't want to know that feeling , to be honest )
Keep your head up and keep Cali-ing!

Thank you Wim ;-)

Besides all the insurance and police stuff. It was the biggest concern the day after: Where to find another California. We had this one for only 4 months, never had a holiday in it, and the road to find and buy our first Cali was a three-year-long-stoney-road process. So we (I) were devastated beyond common sense when it was wrecked.

First thing was to convince the family that it was a California we needed, next and much harder was to find one we could afford and that was not too used. That took a long long time. We lost three that were sold right in front of us - the same day they came on display. Newer calis here are rare. i.e. today there is only 4 elder for sale in whole Denmark, no T6's.

We found this one by pure luck. Just before bedtime, I had the usual look at the online car marked and discovered there was a new T5.1 just put for sale! It was two years old with only 23.000 km and mint. And it was around 10.000 € cheaper than a similar one, that was a year older and had over 50.000 km down. You can believe I did not sleep much and early next morning we were waiting in front of the dealer when they opened the door. We bought it right away - and there where four bidding on it while we made the paperwork. I really felt we made a good deal that day!

Unfortunately, the dealer did trap the bellows while preparing, so I had a long back and forth discussion with them. Finally, they changed the bellows and roof - just a week before the accident. What a waste that was.

Our luck after the accident was that we got the realistic coverage that was quite higher then what we paid. The taxes meanwhile was lowered from 180% to 150% and there was a T6 in display at another dealer (the only in the country). So, all in all, we managed to get a brand new (well ex-demo - display only) T6 instead of the lost T5. On that part, we are very happy. And we managed not to get our planned holidays ruined - and spend 4 week in the Cali.

So there is quite a happy ending to it all. Despite the shadows cast is long from the accident.

@Kmann I cringe when I see those photo's.

I will never forget the night you posted them on the forum, still I think in shock at what had happened.

My heart went out to you and your family then, and it still does now when I look again. Thank God that you were all spared serious injury. You deserve to have justice. It seems you have been deprived of that. Cruel. However you still have each other, all in one piece.

@Kmann I cringe when I see those photo's.

I will never forget the night you posted them on the forum, still I think in shock at what had happened.

My heart went out to you and your family then, and it still does now when I look again. Thank God that you were all spared serious injury. You deserve to have justice. It seems you have been deprived of that. Cruel. However you still have each other, all in one piece.

Thank you! And you are so right above all, that is the most important thing of all.

Today I was told that one of my customers passed away in a plane crash this Monday. It had twirled around my head all day. He was a really nice chap and a great loss for this world. Life is not given and so vulnerable - take it and enjoy as much as you can. Be someone for those who need it.

Hi Kmann . I remember you and your wife telling us the whole shocking story about the accident whilst in the Vw factory at Easter . So sorry that you didn’t get justice . Same in Uk . Good to see that you are putting it behind you and moving on . You guys seem to be doing lots of miles now having fun ( Saw you were drinking champagne !) .

We couldn’t make that sadly as we had only just got back to Uk after a summer sailing on the West coast of France down to La Rochelle . If you guys would like to join us for a week or two next summer you’d be very welcome . We’re planning the Rias Nw Spain . Just pm me .

Hi Kmann . I remember you and your wife telling us the whole shocking story about the accident whilst in the Vw factory at Easter . So sorry that you didn’t get justice . Same in Uk . Good to see that you are putting it behind you and moving on . You guys seem to be doing lots of miles now having fun ( Saw you were drinking champagne !) .

We couldn’t make that sadly as we had only just got back to Uk after a summer sailing on the West coast of France down to La Rochelle . If you guys would like to join us for a week or two next summer you’d be very welcome . We’re planning the https://drkoncerthuset.dk/event/dangelo-dtour-an-intimate-evening-with-dangelo/ Nw Spain . Just pm me .

Thank you very much for the invite, we really appreciate it. It could be really nice to catch up ;-) We will keep it in mind, as we have not planned summer 2018 yet. But it could be Spain and the Rias are so nice I heard. Sounds like you had a sweet trip in your boat this summer, but a pity you did not make the Champagne trip - I dont need to tell you missed a blast ;-)

PS: We made 38.000 km in 16 month - so you are perfectly right.

I am glad that you where all right and remember, time heal all wounds. It will get better and your daughter will drive etc, after all it was not long ago. In sweden it is a crime to run away from a traffic accident, but I guess it wont give jail time, so in that case someone not beeing a police cant keep them on site if they are running away. If there where serious injury or death its another case. Usually alkoholocs etc causing death in traffic gets very low punishment.
Btw, the Danish police got very good creds for the investigation on the murder of journalist Kim Wall. It seems your murder investigators are really good in Copenhagen.
Again, so sorry for it all.

Kmann, those pics are cringeworthy. Glad you could walk away from it ... and best of all, get on a new one very soon.

I would not have the strength to look at those pics again and again. Post some pics of your new adventures please.

Wishing you more miles and smiles in the days ahead.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kmann, those pics are cringeworthy. Glad you could walk away from it ... and best of all, get on a new one very soon.

I would not have the strength to look at those pics again and again. Post some pics of your new adventures please.

Wishing you more miles and smiles in the days ahead.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

After 38.000 km thru 10 countries in just 16 months, we have moved on. I just got a reminder yesterday and wanted to sum things up. Mostly because I get annoyed that we feel justice have not been stated. The guy had similar mishaps in the suitcase, and obviously, he is pulling it off on an easy ride again. Anyway. Here is another picture from our latest trip to Croatia. That the good Cali-life ;-)

20597245_10157091355509988_850263962402400081_n.jpg

I am glad that you where all right and remember, time heal all wounds. It will get better and your daughter will drive etc, after all it was not long ago. In sweden it is a crime to run away from a traffic accident, but I guess it wont give jail time, so in that case someone not beeing a police cant keep them on site if they are running away. If there where serious injury or death its another case. Usually alkoholocs etc causing death in traffic gets very low punishment.
Btw, the Danish police got very good creds for the investigation on the murder of journalist Kim Wall. It seems your murder investigators are really good in Copenhagen.
Again, so sorry for it all.

I know you are right, and we have moved along a lot since, but It just disturbs my sense of justice when someone is not taken to account for his acts. And with this post, I actually just wanted to sum things up. I know we will put it behind us and in the big picture, this is just a small bumb on the road.

I know several policemen and I know they do the best they can, are frustrated and under constant pressure because their resources are limited. That is why it to so long for the police report to be made, that it is full of mistakes and that the charges were kept to a minimum, even though the evidence was served. Sadly it is a symptom of a lot greater problem, that is not even limited to this country only.

It makes me feel sad to see the way things evolve. That you to a certain extent are forced to accept the thing that is not right because society is not working well. It makes me feel sorry for the route many great countries have taken. Losing grip of their social values - that could be a long long talk ;-)

I must say that my faith in the police took a nose dive following an RTA. I was driven into by a motorcyclist who was on the wrong side of the road. I saw him coming and was able to stop, but he just slowed down and hit the front of my car. In moments he was up and on his phone shouting that I was attacking him.police turned up and started to blame me. They did not undertake a breath test which I now know they should of done. My insurance informed me that know police report was given to them. Two years later I was told they had paid out to the biker because it was cheaper then going to court.my insurance went up. I not always fit cameras front and rear to my cars. And yes the biker was a policeman. F

I must say that my faith in the police took a nose dive following an RTA. I was driven into by a motorcyclist who was on the wrong side of the road. I saw him coming and was able to stop, but he just slowed down and hit the front of my car. In moments he was up and on his phone shouting that I was attacking him.police turned up and started to blame me. They did not undertake a breath test which I now know they should of done. My insurance informed me that know police report was given to them. Two years later I was told they had paid out to the biker because it was cheaper then going to court.my insurance went up. I not always fit cameras front and rear to my cars. And yes the biker was a policeman. F

It is very sad that this doesn’t surprise me in the least ☹️

Dear Henrik & Iben
A very, very sad story of ineptitude by the police, and I thought this could only happen in the UK. How naive of me! A lesson for all of us.
I am so glad that you are all able to dust yourselves off and remain positive about a future life on the road in a new Cali even if you are more wary (rightly) of other road users. All credit to you.

I just love your latest photo of Croatia if only because it depicts an ideal that many of us strive for - to be at peace and free to enjoy our natural surroundings unfettered by the stress and strain of an imperfect world. Thanks for sharing.

Terri and I really do hope to see you in Denmark next year - I shall be looking for those nice new big brakes ;) x