sad thing happend on our way in France...'

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Had a not so good experience yesterday while just decending the Col De Rousset at 1367m on the D518 .
We stopped in a turn just below the summit to enjoy the view an take some pics.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Great view , we saw a racing bike agianst the mountain side to the right , can't see on the pic , behind the Cali.
Then a red cycling helmet on the ground 10m away from the bike....
No one within sight ....
OK , maybe he was taking a walk or was doing a toilet stopover....

We stood there ten minutes still nobody showed up .
As my wife decended the road a bit we saw a person lie down about 20m below on the steep side.
On his back one arm on his belly as one would lie down in the sun .....only this looked rare , very rare!
Started shauting , no reaction ...he did not move....
No good at all , as i ran to the Cali to change shoes ,as i had slippers on , into my sportshoes in one mintute was hesitating to decent a "Saveur Pompier" ( rescue vehicle) came down the same road lights on !
So i was thingking that somebody called emergency for help already .
I had to pull them over , they drove by...
Having no notice over this , i explained things as they immidiatly descended and started CPR as het man had no polse/ hartbeat...
Afther a while of defribilation and aspiration with some medical gear one came up to say we had to make room for helicopter arriving soon and we asked we need to stay to declair some stuff , he said we better decend becouse the roads will be blocked soon.
While descending we heared heli arriving and many police and saveur pompiers drove up the hill.
All the way to destination at my brother in-law where we are now we hoped it came to a good end.

Unfortunatly we read this thismorning on the web in some local news.
For those who know some French....
Take a look at the pic and compare with the firs pic a posted.....exact same location
http://www.ledauphine.com/drome/201...a-la-suite-d-une-chute-dans-le-col-de-rousset

So the man died on a hartfalure...probaly before we arrived he got of his bike not feeling well and he felt of the cliff....

If you look good you can spot his helmet lieing on the ground to the left bottom of the 3 picture i posted.
Very sad thing to happen for the family of this man , we arrived to late feeling sorry but it was fait that brought us there and bad luck him to have a hartfailure.

Last edited:
That's very sad.

It does put a into perspective a lot of the discussions on this forum.

Whether buying now or waiting for the T6, wasting hours looking to achieve a fractionally better price from a particular dealer and getting the best deal, or even the problems with the roof!

Copy the pic from the newssite....
You can see why we had to move the Cali for the heli to land....

image.jpg

Sad, well done though for trying to save the poor chap.

If that sapeur pompier truck not accidently showed up i had to go down , i am first aid helper at work and did get a small CPR training but thisone looked bad from the start...
It was not so easy go descent and i would not risk my own life , i keep in mind it was already to late when we arrived.

Had a not so good experience yesterday while just decending the Col De Rousset at 1367m on the D518 .

View attachment 9764
View attachment 9763
View attachment 9762
Great view , we saw a racing bike agianst the mountain side to the right , can't see on the pic , behind the Cali.
No one within sight ....

As my wife decended the road a bit we saw a person lie down about 20m below on the steep side.
On his back one arm on his belly as one would lie down in the sun .....only this looked rare , very rare!
No good at all , as i ran to the Cali to change shoes ,as i had slippers on , into my sportshoes in one mintute was hesitating to decent a "Saveur Pompier" ( rescue vehicle) came down the same road lights on !
Having no notice over this , i explained things as they immidiatly descended and started CPR as het man had no polse/ hartbeat...
Afther a while of defribilation and aspiration with some medical gear one came up to say we had to make room for helicopter arriving soon and we asked we need to stay to declair some stuff , he said we better decend becouse the roads will be blocked soon.
While descending we heared heli arriving and many police and saveur pompiers drove up the hill.
All the way to destination at my brother in-law where we are now we hoped it came to a good end.

Take a look at the pic and compare with the firs pic a posted.....exact same location
http://www.ledauphine.com/drome/201...a-la-suite-d-une-chute-dans-le-col-de-rousset

So the man died on a hartfalure...probaly before we arrived he got of his bike not feeling well and he felt of the cliff....

If you look good you can spot his helmet lieing on the ground to the left bottom of the 3 picture i posted.
Very sad thing to happen for the family of this man , we arrived to late feeling sorry but it was fait that brought us there and bad luck him to have a hartfailure.
Really shocking. Gravel can be a sod on a bike, particularly if distracted by a lovely view. Poor chap. Very upsetting for you :(

View attachment 9764
View attachment 9763
View attachment 9762
No one within sight ....

How very sad.
Despite the unhappy outcome, you and your wife noticed that things didn't' look quite right and after discovering him, did your very best to help him. I don't think that he or his family could have asked any more of you.
I was a firefighter for 30 years and quickly came to realise that very often, despite your very best intentions and efforts some situations are never going to have a good outcome.
It's occasions like this these really put life into perspective.

This is such sad reading. I am hope he not suffer pain but remember only what his hobby bring beautiful riding and place to see.

We must be always choosing each day something little to make happy. Is never know when is last day.

This is such sad reading. I am hope he not suffer pain but remember only what his hobby bring beautiful riding and place to see.

We must be always choosing each day something little to make happy. Is never know when is last day.
So true

And it reminds us of another "missing person", namely the kickstarter of this post :sad
Don’t exaggerate now ;) People come and go. He must have his reasons, was quite impulsive and direct so could be back any moment.