Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mr Grumpy's survival techniques?!

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My wife has asked me to post to ask others for their survival techniques when on a prolonged road / camping trip?!

We are two adults, two kids (6&8) and a large black Labrador. It's fair to say I can be a bit tetchy after a long days driving or if wet weather confines us to the van.

What little things do you do to make everything run smoothly whilst away please?

Game boys (or what the hand held games are today) always kept the kind quiet

chill pills and strop drops - never leave home without them

I just remind them that there's a shovel in the trunk.

Alright, on a serious note:

• Hand held games/tablets can be great, as long as they are not having to share them... Top Trumps cards and any other car friendly games are good for variety.
  • Food is often a winner. I try to ensure we stop as often as possible and get treats here and there if they have been good. I also ensure there is enough proper food in the car for them to be kept sated. For young kids, hungry often means 'restless, cranky and annoying'.
  • Bring pillows, blankets and other useful sleep aids so they can get comfy and snooze in comfort.
  • 'I spy' and '20 questions' can work a treat if they're old enough and in the mood.

Then there are all the usual things like taking turns to choose the music (they're probably too young for that one), map reading etc.

Mine are older and I think its fair to say that it gets a lot easier in the next few years, as you have a greater ability to engage their minds.

We have the whole Harry Potter spoken word books on the stereo told by Stephen Fry. Keeps my son sane for hours on end, very long and could probably last an around the world trip. ( does get on my nerves though after 4 hours) :confused:

chill pills and strop drops - never leave home without them
Where do I purchase them from and do they have adult and child varieties??

We have the whole Harry Potter spoken word books on the stereo told by Stephen Fry. Keeps my son sane for hours on end, very long and could probably last an around the world trip. ( does get on my nerves though after 4 hours) :confused:
Eldest is obsessed with Harry Potter. Will look into audiobooks. Thanks.

I just remind them that there's a shovel in the trunk.

Alright, on a serious note:

• Hand held games/tablets can be great, as long as they are not having to share them... Top Trumps cards and any other car friendly games are good for variety.
  • Food is often a winner. I try to ensure we stop as often as possible and get treats here and there if they have been good. I also ensure there is enough proper food in the car for them to be kept sated. For young kids, hungry often means 'restless, cranky and annoying'.
  • Bring pillows, blankets and other useful sleep aids so they can get comfy and snooze in comfort.
  • 'I spy' and '20 questions' can work a treat if they're old enough and in the mood.

Then there are all the usual things like taking turns to choose the music (they're probably too young for that one), map reading etc.

Mine are older and I think its fair to say that it gets a lot easier in the next few years, as you have a greater ability to engage their minds.

DJing is popular in my car with Bluetooth. The problem is they want to play the same song on repeat for an hour! Map reading could be fun...could end up somewhere unexpected! Thanks

Download Movies/TV programmes etc: from iTunes onto an iPad/Notebook. Head rest mount to hold iPad. Could use Headphones to listen. Move seat forward as well and dog could hunker down behind the seat, in his own space.

If you know how to do it then you can download free films etc:

Mr Gum audio books (by Andy Stanton) were great on a camping holiday for my son who was 7 at the time and anything by David Walliams keeps him occupied now (he has a box set called "world of David Walliams audio box set"

Download Movies/TV programmes etc: from iTunes onto an iPad/Notebook. Head rest mount to hold iPad. Could use Headphones to listen. Move seat forward as well and dog could hunker down behind the seat, in his own space.

If you know how to do it then you can download free films etc:
Good tip moving the seat forward to give dog time out at the back. After three weeks of Christmas holidays, he can't wait for the kids to go back to school so he can catch up on the snoozing. iPads are a winner. Films, games, books, drawing and music all in one and they can charge them up from the socket next to the rear seat too which is another improvement on my T2

Mr Gum audio books (by Andy Stanton) were great on a camping holiday for my son who was 7 at the time and anything by David Walliams keeps him occupied now (he has a box set called "world of David Walliams audio box set"
Thanks. We haven't tried those books yet. I've heard David Walliams writes good books from a friend recently.

Another question ... What tips for drying wet clothes, shoes, towels and dog in the Cali please? Another cause for stress is the daily dog walk with this shocking weather when we're on a long trip. I have opted for the shower attachment for the new van so at least we can hose ourselves down...but drying? Any ingenious tips appreciated please

Get Large camping towels made of Microfibre material. Mop up the water quickly and dry quickly. We hang ours on a line above the sink- Line made by Brandrup, but a basic one with Net curtain wire would do.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XUBKCIG/?tag=eliteelect-21
Micro fibre towels are brilliant. Don't take up much room, dry quickly and have an antibacterial treatment as well. We got ours half price in Mountain Warehouse so a bargain as well.

+1 for micro fibre towels - great to have significantly less bulky damp stuff around - that takes a fraction of the time to dry. Think I'd have them in the house but the wife wouldn't wear it

The miles do seem to fly by listening to a story. I can copy them for you if you send me a memory stick. Have you got the car stereo with the hard drive?

The miles do seem to fly by listening to a story. I can copy them for you if you send me a memory stick. Have you got the car stereo with the hard drive?
Thanks Larrylamb for the offer. I've just been googling & I think we're going to try Audible. You pay a subscription and then can listen to as many as you want.
I wouldn't want J K Rowling to send a 'Dementor' for not paying for them myself :Nailbiting:Nailbiting:Nailbiting

Get Large camping towels made of Microfibre material. Mop up the water quickly and dry quickly. We hang ours on a line above the sink- Line made by Brandrup, but a basic one with Net curtain wire would do.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XUBKCIG/?tag=eliteelect-21

Good idea for a washing line. Will try and rig something up.

Looks like lots of Cali users are suggesting microfibre towels. We must get different coloured ones to the dog though!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

The question will be how long to dry 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog with the diesel heater running?!

Micro fibre towels are brilliant. Don't take up much room, dry quickly and have an antibacterial treatment as well. We got ours half price in Mountain Warehouse so a bargain as well.
I bought one half price from there too. So thrilled, went back the next day and bought 2 more. Each has a unique hanger I sewed on to distinguish them.

We plan in at least an hours walk around and stop every 2-3 hours. We swap drivers every hour to keep us fresh. Always have a picinic available incase of traffic jams.

Last edited:
We have a special towel which comes in a canister for the dog which is slightly damp, seems to work really well. We got it in Pets + Home. We have Inka seat covers so pop our lightweight but super waterproof jackets (and trousers if necessary) on the back of the front seats.

For amusing purposes we have a ukelele as well! An good old fashioned portable DVD player is quite user friendly with younger children.

We have a special towel which comes in a canister for the dog which is slightly damp, seems to work really well. We got it in Pets + Home. We have Inka seat covers so pop our lightweight but super waterproof jackets (and trousers if necessary) on the back of the front seats.

For amusing purposes we have a ukelele as well! An good old fashioned portable DVD player is quite user friendly with younger children.
We have S shaped hooks that we hook around the headrest struts and hang our coats off these. Very convenient.

Another question ... What tips for drying wet clothes, shoes, towels and dog in the Cali please? Another cause for stress is the daily dog walk with this shocking weather when we're on a long trip. I have opted for the shower attachment for the new van so at least we can hose ourselves down...but drying? Any ingenious tips appreciated please
Try Easidry towels....no need to dry them between uses! That's for the dog! I'm afraid I gave no options for children other than leaving them at home leaving more room for cuddling up to the dog to keep warm!

Good idea for a washing line. Will try and rig something up.

Looks like lots of Cali users are suggesting microfibre towels. We must get different coloured ones to the dog though!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

The question will be how long to dry 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog with the diesel heater running?!
Try Easidry towels for the dog....no need to dry out and all smells are contained in the container!

Back