Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Moving rear seat

J

Jennydddd

VIP Member
Hi there, we are currently looking at purchasing a California and I have a question about the rear seats. I understand they can slide back and forth on the rails. Are there any specific positions where the seats on seats need to be whilst you are moving? We would like them to be quite far forward to give a bigger rear storage space but not sure whether that is possible.

Many thanks

Jenny

Hi Jenny. Yes you can have the seat in various positions it locks into the rails I often have my rear seat at the front to give me a larger boot :thumb there is a stop in the rail that can be moved
Forward to allow the rear seat to go right forward if that makes sense :thumb

We keep the back seat fairly well forward to reduce the possibility of rear seat travel sickness; the further back it is the more they feel sick. We have no problems when it is lined up with the sliding door window.

The stops in the rails can be completely removed meaning the back seat will virtually touch the front seats in its fully forward position; no good for rear passengers but it does maximise boot space and also means that you can squeeze into the back through the sliding door. I can not tell you how useful this has been, especially when the bikes are loaded onto the boot rack! :thumb

Regards
Barry

Although we've not had travel sickness experience with the back seat at its most backward position, we find it difficult to talk to young kids when it's at the back and can hear them much easier when it's nearer the front. It does free up a lot of boot space when the seat's forward, too, as mentioned above.

Regards
(another) Barry

Thanks very much, I must admit talking to the kids is the other reason we want to move the seats forward! Really good to know this is possible.

Does anyone have dimensions for the rear boot space with the seats fully forward? I'd like to take out the shelf leaving a large space that I could throw the kid's bikes in. Or my bike...

You can also take out the seat stop from the rail so it goes right forward

I would say an advantage I see is kids as far back as possible so I can drive and think at the same time :)

Can the seat be completely removed ? If so how easy is it.?

Hi Chris H, yes it can be removed, it should be explained in your owners manual. Be careful when you try to lift it.......It bloody heavy!

Cheers Steve.

Mine was removed for repair by VW dealer they had 2 lifting and +1 for extra hands

Thanks thought it would be able to come out.

Could anyone share the dimensions of the rear boot space with the seats fully forward and the shelf removed? I'm hoping it'll be about 5 feet, like my Caddy Maxi...