Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Modified rear shelf to allow for leg room with fifth seat

R

rick

When the fifth seat is in place with the rear shelf in situ there is very little leg room. This is uncomfortable even on short jouneys. Does anyone know if VW supply the old style board shelf that could be cut and modified so that the bed could still be used and if so, what the cost would be, (the newer metal frame shelf would be difficult to change) or whether the shelf fittings could be supplied for a custom made option. The leg room issue is a serious design flaw.

:thanks

Re: Modified rear shelf to allow for leg room with fifth sea

Rick use it facing backwards then I believe there is more leg room.
Failing that look on the european boards, they have built shorter shelves from scratch out of mdf.

At the moment I've taken the rear shelf out. But when we go camping to keep the leg room, I plan to strap the shelf to the back of the back seat.

Thanks Andy. Rear facing is an option, although ideally I would like to source a shelf for a professional modification or at least, the fittings. The Cali is such a fantastic vehicle and this is the one main fix that would make it so much better & easier.

Rick

I have seen some one do a shorter rear parcel shelf. You need to extend the arms ( Weld extensions on) . This can be done with the prefacelift as its has metal bracket with a wooden board. Face lift models have a wire rear shelf so not as easy.

Find a cali friend with a preface lift and see if you can do a swap like for like.

Be careful moving the seat backwards as the headrests will hit the overhead locker.

Sorry for the daft question, but how do you push the seat back?
It comes to a stop where the shelf should be and I can't push it back any further

Swaleuk said:
Sorry for the daft question, but how do you push the seat back?
It comes to a stop where the shelf should be and I can't push it back any further

The back seat has a forward stop which simply sits in the seat rail under the rubber seal in the rail close to side units. It has a big flat head screw that locks it in place.

The rear stop is most probably the same so try removing the rear shelf/bed and move the seat forward a bit. Then check below the rubber seals in the seat rails behind the seat. When you locate it, it can then be removed by removing grey plastic cap at the end of the seat rail, unlocking the big screw and then sliding it back and out the hole.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

John

Back