Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

mattress topper

B

Bel W

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi! We are soon to collect our Cali Ocean, can anyone recommend a mattress topper for the upstairs bed?

Firstly, I’d say that my experience as a new owner is that the top mattress is quite comfortable as standard with the ‘Froli’ springs. However, as I sleep upstairs and my wife downstairs we bought 2 x 58cm Duvalay toppers allowing the flexibility of either using both downstairs or one up and one down. Certainly using a single topper upstairs is very comfortable. There’s obviously a choice of thickness for all the Duvalay toppers, we went for the 5cm Freshtec and happy. The other benefit of 2 x 58cm toppers is that they‘re much easier to store.

Really appreciate that. I assume you cannot store the topper on the bed when stowed, where do you store this when travelling?

No.. you are right ..even with the Duvalay. 2.5cm I wouldn’t recommend storing and closing the roof. We went for 2.5cm as roll up smaller and then can both be stored in wardrobe with a couple of pillows when driving. you can also buy zipped fitted sheets. Not cheap but with it.

to protect both mattress we bought from campervan bits the very soft fitted sheet/ covers and these can be kept on the mattresses when travelling with the roof down upstairs and folded mattress downstairs. If you can’t find ..just shout and I’ll look for the link

That's very kind thank you.

That's very kind thank you.

theres also one for downstairs

i think this is it …really soft and cosy ( Nikki plush) and can stay on pop top mattress permanently ( when driving) then unroll Duvalay matress on top (with zipped fitted sheet) x we went for 2.5cm . If you get the narrower version out of the two .. then if you did want to have them side by side ( either upstairs or downstairs) then they fit. Also the narrow and thinner duvalay matress you buy the easier it is to store.

If it's a new Ocean you're getting you may want to leave the protective polythene on the mattress for a while!

Sea to Summit self inflating mattress which we leave up (deflated and without the original mattress)

We’ve done exactly as @Blackbrogue1962 has done. The 2 Duvalays are so flexible, both up, both down, one down one up, or on top of inflating mattress in the awning. We tried a self inflating mattress first, but deflating it was a chore, and as it reinflated even with valves closed we couldn’t leave it up in the roof. The Duvalays come with compression straps. 1 minute to deploy and a few minutes to roll up and store.

Really appreciate that. I assume you cannot store the topper on the bed when stowed, where do you store this when travelling?
Just to add we store the 2 x toppers rolled up on the back shelf. As others have commented, they’re too thick to leave on when closing the roof.

Easiest place is in the boot, on top of the multi panel shelf, along with rolled up duvets/ sleeping bags, pillows, blankets etc. They are then handy at bedtime without leaving the van, which is especially good if it’s raining, cold, or swarming with mossi’s.

We use the calibed roof 111, specialy for the 6.1. You still can close the roof and it is more comfortable than the standard matress (only 1cm thicker). Be sure you go to calicap.de. They are the cheapest compared to shops in Zwitserland or Belgium.
We are very pleased with it!