Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Optional Extras: Comfort mattress

Kevin&Becci

Kevin&Becci

One year in and loving it.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Sorry am sure this is discussed elsewhere but cannot find it.
We have been quoted £400 (NET of VAT!) for the comfort mattress.
Having seen the folded down seat I can see the advantage though wonder if there are cheaper options?
As for upstairs, can you get a comfort mattress for this? I am sure I read that it is better to avoid getting a topper later as it would need removing when put roof down. So wondered what people think of the mattress in the roof and what options there are for improving comfort.

We are so nearly there on our spec. Hopefully we can order before end of month.

Kevin and Becci

I cannot speak for the T6, but on my T5 the supplied roof mattress is firm, but I found it OK, but then I do like a firm mattress. Comfortz make an upper topper that, I believe, can be left in place.
The VW Comfort mattress downstairs is excellent. I believe Brandrup sell an alternative.

It will be worth double checking the official option / price list (dated 10th Sept). The bed extension with comfort mattress is option 3U1 and it is £234 inc VAT.

We have been quoted £400 (NET of VAT!) for the comfort mattress.
Having seen the folded down seat I can see the advantage though wonder if there are cheaper options?
Hi Kevin & Becci, and welcome. :thumb

We were quite happy without the comfort mattress on our original Cali after we bought a domestic 50mm topper from Argos or somewhere (just cut to shape). We were also able to have the rear parcel shelf in the higher position giving more storage underneath. Without the topper though, it was not comfortable, there is a hard ridge right where you don't want it

Also, when we were not camping we could store the topper in the house leaving the area behind the seats uncluttered. In use, we just rolled it (and the bedding) into a "swiss roll" and secured it with luggage straps.

On our second Cali now, and it came with the comfort mattress (dealer pre-reg). It is not quite as comfortable as the topper, but it's OK. Trouble is, it takes up space in the back all the time and the parcel shelf has to be in the lower position. I think on balance I preferred the original arrangement.

It will be worth double checking the official option / price list (dated 10th Sept). The bed extension with comfort mattress is option 3U1 and it is £234 inc VAT.
Interesting. Wonder where the £400 came from that they quoted. Ok will check the list again. Thanks.

Hi Kevin & Becci, and welcome. :thumb

We were quite happy without the comfort mattress on our original Cali after we bought a domestic 50mm topper from Argos or somewhere (just cut to shape). We were also able to have the rear parcel shelf in the higher position giving more storage underneath. Without the topper though, it was not comfortable, there is a hard ridge right where you don't want it

Also, when we were not camping we could store the topper in the house leaving the area behind the seats uncluttered. In use, we just rolled it (and the bedding) into a "swiss roll" and secured it with luggage straps.

On our second Cali now, and it came with the comfort mattress (dealer pre-reg). It is not quite as comfortable as the topper, but it's OK. Trouble is, it takes up space in the back all the time and the parcel shelf has to be in the lower position. I think on balance I preferred the original arrangement.
Great thanks. Will investigate toppers from other places. Sounds like no immediate need to buy as part of order and get something when it arrives. It is our first Cali (and first campervan) so very exciting!

I have the comfort mattress and like Colin I found the need to have the parcel shelf on lower position and the space taken up to be a total pain. I fished around and tried everything before settling on what I have now. It is amazing how much space is liberated by fixing the shelf on the higher position.

I have the comfort mattress and like Colin I found the need to have the parcel shelf on lower position and the space taken up to be a total pain. I fished around and tried everything before settling on what I have now. It is amazing how much space is liberated by fixing the shelf on the higher position.
I don't have the comfort mattress but still need the shelf in the lower position to get a level bed with the seat, strange. Has something changed?

I don't have the comfort mattress but still need the shelf in the lower position to get a level bed with the seat, strange. Has something changed?

Is it the bare shelf, no cushioning on it?

The mattress cushion on my rear shelf is a single piece approx 7cm thick, the shelf is on the lower setting and when i drop the rear seat it is perfectly aligned. If i have the shelf on the higher setting it is higher than the seat bed. Is my cushion too big or possibly the latest design?

I have no mattress cushion on my rear shelf. I have taken it off, hence the rear seat squab now lines up evenly with the bare board on the higher position.

I have no mattress cushion on my rear shelf. I have taken it off, hence the rear seat squab now lines up evenly with the bare board on the higher position.
Aaah right, gotcha.:thumb

Back