Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking for my first camper van

J

Juliet Lewis

Guest User
I've never had any experience of campers but I'm very keen to buy one and am planning to have my first experience in a hired van in January. I realise it'll be cold but I want to get on with it now I've decided to buy one. I've been agonising over how much money to spend on one. For example, I have the opportunity of buying one that is 10 years old, but would it be wiser to get a newer one? I certainly want one that's reliable since I have no mechanical skills and would like to take it to Europe. Also I'm not young any more, so although I'm very active and adventurous I'm not so keen to rough it any more. However I have friends who would be shocked if I spent more than £30,000 on a van, since they tend to have old ones. Consequently there's a slight feeling of embarrassment that comes with considering an expensive cali. I would welcome some advice.

putting other issues aside for a minute, the list price for my cali in 2012 was what I paid for it in 2014 and was what I got for it in 2016!

Welcome , it is a load of money to spent but if money is not a issue (witch it probally almost is but you now what i mean) buy a younger one , there are lot's selling theire T5 for a 6-er so they all come on the market.
If money is not an issue at all....go for new!

Ps , can i get your signature/autograph ....;)

Last edited:
It depends how old you mean by old van, but I have an oldish VW (1985) and the simple truth is that older vans need cash to keep them running nicely. I ended up getting my cali because I realised the money I was spending keeping a 30 year old van on the road could have been spent on something newer. So I simply made the leap.

That being said a 10 year old van should be fine if it has been well looked after but there are a lot of factors in that, mileage, service history etc. I would always say buy with advice and take someone who knows what to look for if you can.

I wouldn't worry about what your friends think too much. To put things in perspective even my 1980s van is valued at £10,000 now (which is madness even to me) and the really old ones Bays and splits cost even more for a good one. That being said, Splits through to T3 will easily cost a few grand a year to keep them going and road worthy, I know from experience. You will also get the added "excitement" of not know if you will get there. Also from experience ;)

I've never had any experience of campers but I'm very keen to buy one and am planning to have my first experience in a hired van in January. I realise it'll be cold but I want to get on with it now I've decided to buy one. I've been agonising over how much money to spend on one. For example, I have the opportunity of buying one that is 10 years old, but would it be wiser to get a newer one? I certainly want one that's reliable since I have no mechanical skills and would like to take it to Europe. Also I'm not young any more, so although I'm very active and adventurous I'm not so keen to rough it any more. However I have friends who would be shocked if I spent more than £30,000 on a van, since they tend to have old ones. Consequently there's a slight feeling of embarrassment that comes with considering an expensive cali. I would welcome some advice.
Hello Juliet and welcome to the forum.
On balance the newer it is the better chance of reliability. Not always.
If you buy new you should have the option of extending the warranty for two years at just under £400 giving you 5 years relative peace of mind.
You have to balance this against the cost and what you can afford. There's nothing to feel embarrassed about.
As john above says they have until know kept there value so to a large extent if that continues the issue is one of having the initial outlay. True cost is the depreciation which is just one of the reasons I opted for a Cali rather than a conversion. It's all a bit of a fine balance and down to personal circumstances.
Good luck

Mike

Back