Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

buying a California camper

A

aileen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello I'm new to the forum. I live in Ireland and haven't been able to view a California but it is the one I want. Any advice on where to buy, extras that are great to have, which model etc. Looking at the web the 3 models look very similar and I'm not very technical. I'm a pensioner who has decided to buy one, live in it in warm countries and have an adventurous old age :) Thinking of ordering in Germany since they are made there. :thanks

If you are planning on spending a lot of time in it go for the camper van and not the Beach version as the beach has no kitchen in it. I say order the highest spec you can afford as all the extras just make it that little bit more pleasurable.

NO.....as you say that you plan to live in it this really is NOT the van for you. Far to expensive for what it is. But really good for short term or extended use as long as you see an end to your trip.

You should consider a normal motorhome, for the same price as a Cali you would get a new one, or a really flashy full spec low milage couple of year old vehicle..

Great to get such quick responses. Thank you all so much. Aileen

BerndRos said:
NO.....as you say that you plan to live in it this really is NOT the van for you. Far to expensive for what it is. But really good for short term or extended use as long as you see an end to your trip.

You should consider a normal motorhome, for the same price as a Cali you would get a new one, or a really flashy full spec low milage couple of year old vehicle..

I agree with what much of what you are saying, it is certainly tricky to argue the case for a California if someone intends living in it as you can get a lot of van for your money when spending between £42-50+K. However there clearly is a robust counter argument and that is the California is right up there if the person is happy to live quite simply without the need for a huge amount of personal possesions. It should also be considered if the person can do away without the need for a fixed shower and toilet, portable options are available and if the person will use campsites with good facilities then the need for these is greatly reduced. It has also got be up there if they want something that will offer a great drive, is also easy to drive and a pleasure to drive, simple to park and is is great on MPG and performance. I suppose if an individual is on their own and tick many of those boxes it might be a serious contender. I have to confess I am not a fan of many of the white (why always white?) bland, characterless motorhomes that come equipped with more whistles & bangs than the average starter home. For me the California offers just enough equipment for me to feel that I am still in touch with the outside world, whilst offering just enough for me (us!) to ensure that my enjoyment can continue throughout the year and in a great deal more places than your average motorhome. Here endeth what has appeared to turn into a California sales pitch.

I did a mammoth Cali trip, 20 countries and about 25k miles. 80% free camping and the rest in paid camps. Slept in 238 different locations and rarely stayed put for more than two nights at a time. so I guess I am qualified to weigh up the pros and cons.

If you plan to live in a van and likely not move on day by day or use paid camps much, I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would go for a Cali over a motorhome.

As for my much traveled Strudel Cali ( sweet ) I cannot ever envisage giving it the boot......

I'm with Bern on this one. I think a small to medium size low profile m*t*rhome would be better suited.

Hi Aileen, maybe some more info on what you want to do or how you plan to travel/pitch would help.

Our long term plan is to tour; stopping at various places on the way. When we do that we are looking at a mh. ...... unless of course we really get hooked on our Cali!

Well,it is a always a compromise I am afraid. I am a widower and bought my Cali last Sept. i have had 26 nights away this year. I am away for the next 4 nights meeting friends from France. I like the fact that I can up and go away quickly without ant fuss and travel in the fast lane. i stay on campsites for the facilities. Not trapped on the site and can go out for the day. i can go to the coast for the weekend.i would not be so keen to take a big motorhome.

There are 2 camping clubs for single and I think mainly retired folk that I would recommend. 1 New companions club
and 2 Phoenix camping. They are very active and you can go away virtually anytime of the year and hook up with friends on various tours. Meeting lots of different people doing amazing things. Many winter in Spain etc and which case you can rent an apartment etc/share with others. Easier with a Cali.

In the clubs I would say that most of the ladies have motorhomes from massive ones to micro. I know of a few who have VW conversions and go away for extended trips. So it is what really turns you on in my opinion at the end of the day and the lifestyle you envisage. I must admit my Cali gets a lot of attention and it is only the price that puts people off.

Storage comes into to equation as well. A cali can be stored a lot easier and no planning restrictions etc Mine is in a carport and 3ft from my back door.

In conclusion i would strongly feel that you contact The New Companions Club and go to a meet. Talk to other people. They would be very helpful I know. Do your research and rent a cali first .... before buying. I did.
As I said I like the flexibility a Cali gives, day trips, easy to drive and park. [easier than my car] When travelling I plan to mix it up and stay in B and bs and Hotels as well as camp. Make it fun. Whatever you do ...

Great post Malc. I agree with you. If you like sitting on a campsite with your satellite tv
Deck chairs, barbeques etc. reading all day fine get a large comfortable motorhome but if like me you like moving around going into town centre's wild camping then go for a Cali.

Great post malc.

It looks like your Cali has really enhanced your life and opened up a lot of new experiences and friendships. A lot in life is always down to what you make it, and your Cali sounds like its been a fantastic tool to help you make it happen.

malc I hope you continue to have fun with your Cali long may it continue. :D :thumb

John

Thank you thank you

Every time I look at the Cali I get excited about my next adventure. That is what it is all about.

Malc

What great posts. Thank you all so much. Malc you gave me a lot of info. I will look up New Companions Club but they want people who are living in England to access it and I am in Ireland. Iain and Shani, I am planning to probably buy my Cali in Germany since I mostly plan to use it in warm countries in Europe I think that I should buy a left hand drive. I already live in Asia during the Winter months so my plan is to meander each year to just one warm country (to avoid lots of driving and diesel) and spend about 7 months there living for a while in each area with a mixture of free camping and camp sites, getting to really know the villages and hopefully some people. I want the California because I fell in love with them years ago, they are compact so it is not too obviously a camping van and it will not be too large when I am driving down narrow streets like in Spain and Italy. I know that they are expensive but I am hoping to sell my house in Ireland. I wish that there was a loo/shower etc as that would make things really great but motor homes look so high and big. As I mentioned in my first post I am retired and mature so want to have something manageable. I don't need lots of storage etc. It is confusing reading various posts as people refer to Berghaus, T-5, 180 DSG etc and those don't come up in the German sites for VW. I think that DSG is automatic but not sure. I like manual myself. As I research those things may become obvious. I haven't come across any in Ireland yet. Still have to find out how to get license plates and insurance if I do buy in Germany but right now hoping for a house sale. Thanks to all of you. Aileen

aileen roantree said:
It is confusing reading various posts as people refer to Berghaus, T-5, 180 DSG etc and those don't come up in the German sites for VW. I think that DSG is automatic but not sure. I like manual myself. As I research those things may become obvious. I haven't come across any in Ireland yet. Still have to find out how to get license plates and insurance if I do buy in Germany but right now hoping for a house sale. Thanks to all of you. Aileen

Hi Aileen.

Yes the DSG is the automatic but don't rule it out. We initially wanted a manual Cali but ended up with a DSG and we love it. :D

Here is a link To California Berghaus Topic. :thumb

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=157

John

Hi Aileen,

The plan sounds great, be great if you could post with updates. I think one of the key things you mentioned which is also one of the main things that I feel about that California is that it just doesn't look like your typical camping van or motor home, therefore you can pull up in places and look far less conspicuous, we do this frequently. Wish you all the best with your plans, it looks like you've made your choice, I wish you well.

Hi Aileen

We only recently bought our Cali and we love her! Just come back from the west of Scotland and she was perfect for single track roads, a real joy to drive- we got a dsg and despite not driving an automatic before I've really taken to how much more relaxed driving one is. There's bags of storage space too. We hired one for a weekend and didn't look back!
Happy adventuring
Linda

Hi
we upgraded from a family car to a new cali a month ago and we havnt looked back.My wife uses the cali daily for running my boys about, supermarket shopping and she absolutely loves it.We did opt for a dsg (automatic) and it so easy to drive and with the parking sensors makes manoevering easy.She now hates to drive my manual car as its so low, so i dont get a look in.
whatever you buy you certainly wont regret it
dave and lisa