Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looked at, wondered about, lusted after ,hired......so wanting to buy.

Leaning all the time thanks to all your responses. Much appreciated, keep it coming.
I have just been reading about the oil consumption on the 180 CFCA engines.
Trouble is there is so much information spread over a long time line that it becomes overwhelming.
I think I will definitely avoid 180's all together unless anyone can say this has been bottomed out and fixed?

Darling,

Buy your camper. Enjoy it, Go for it. Worry about "what might go wrong" when it's not gone wrong. The VW camper is one of the most reliable vehicles in the world. So things go wrong. They do with any complex vehicle, including my bicyicle.

Get it, enjoy it, have fun, go where you never ever believed you would go, live the dream and stop worrying about being the victim.

ohh she at it again ;)
LOL

Jen I hear you.....
All things in good measure, I own an Evoque right now, It's my 2nd one and no drama's with either but to read the forum you would think they were made of paper or something.
So a California I will get!!
But I will only buy when armed with enough knowledge and experience to make an informed decision which by enlarge will come from experiences on this forum. So what ever people want to post here is fine by me and I have to keep reading stuff already posted...thats why I'm here.
It's not that I'm worrying about being a victim.

My own personal take on the 180CFCA engine is that there is an inherent problem which appears to centre around the egr cooler that vw have not got to the bottom of properly. Enough to put me off the potential 5-7k repair bills if you are unfortunate enough to encounter it. The subject certainly divides opinion since many have never had issues with their own but there are plenty who have that's for sure.

Every car out there seems to have the some particular combination that is the 'self destruct' one, but I tend to find the internet has a way of over exaggerating these issues as all of the happy owners with no problems don't say anything, just the ones with failures.

Porsche being a classic example - I had a 986 Boxster S and if you speak to most people the engine is made of chocolate due to the IMS bearing failure 'issue'. Yes there have been failures, but regular maintenance and being sensible does help too. Actually what is really good for those engines is routine running - ie not letting things dry out too much by leaving them for prolonged periods just standing there.

You can always buy a warranty for whatever you buy anyway, so just seek, buy and enjoy!

Every car out there seems to have the some particular combination that is the 'self destruct' one, but I tend to find the internet has a way of over exaggerating these issues as all of the happy owners with no problems don't say anything, just the ones with failures.

Porsche being a classic example - I had a 986 Boxster S and if you speak to most people the engine is made of chocolate due to the IMS bearing failure 'issue'. Yes there have been failures, but regular maintenance and being sensible does help too. Actually what is really good for those engines is routine running - ie not letting things dry out too much by leaving them for prolonged periods just standing there.

You can always buy a warranty for whatever you buy anyway, so just seek, buy and enjoy!

Absolutely!!
I too had a Porsche Boxster and if I remember correctly there was also the rear main seal as well as the IMS bearing. Neither went on me but I didn't have the car that long to be honest.
Too read the internet, you would think my current car was built by monkeys ordered by lunatics and promptly fell apart once off the forecourt.
But none the less, as there is no smoke without fire, there are a some things to consider with reported issues.
1) what are the consequences if they arise.
2) can you manage the situation to prevent the issue (a la cam belt).
3) Do I really need to go there anyway.

In this 180 case, I don't need to go there.

I have read a few of your posts @itguy and I hope October rolls around quickly enough for you !

Thnak you, doesn't feel right to be wishing my life away to be honest, but we've got a load of fun stuff to be doing in between now and then anyway. New driveway, new porch on the house, a week in Budapest, all the camping shows, busfest in 2 weeks time, only one Christmas etc etc :)

When we get it ordered I can see me having a year planner which I can mark each day off every morning!!

We are the same, two trips back to the UK, Nordic bus fest, bike racing, parties oh and our first baby coming and all before Xmas, hopefully we'll find a Cali in-between all that.

Thnak you, doesn't feel right to be wishing my life away to be honest, but we've got a load of fun stuff to be doing in between now and then anyway. New driveway, new porch on the house, a week in Budapest, all the camping shows, busfest in 2 weeks time, only one Christmas etc etc :)

When we get it ordered I can see me having a year planner which I can mark each day off every morning!!

Ahhh I mis read your post I thought you had one ordered for October...I see thats a hire now :mute
Regardless, it will come quickly enough with all the other things you mention as will it for @RodCouncil

We bought our 174 4 Motion '06 SE for about £30k six years ago now. A few silly plastic catches and the driver door handle (huge new door card bill) have broken. I think the leisure batts have now had it (afaik not replaced since new) so looking to do those ourselves. A leak in the aircon near the rear end needs fixing and we've replaced front discs 2 years ago and rears now need doing. Electric side door a bit tetchy and that's pretty much it - after putting 50,000 on the van since purchase. Used as a daily commute drive as well as gigging our favourite bands and festivals. We had it tuned to stage 1 by VAG tech a few years ago so it pulls like a train at low revs and since a Terraclean a couple of months ago our average mpg has gone up from 35 to 39 mpg. And this is an 11 year old 3 ton vehicle. SMG Cowfold are a brilliant service agency who we use if poss and now coming to trust our new boys Curries at MK who seem very professional too. Just buy one. I wish I hadn't mucked about with Land Rovers for so many years. This is better in the Alps then either my Disco or 110 tbh.

My own personal take on the 180CFCA engine is that there is an inherent problem which appears to centre around the egr cooler that vw have not got to the bottom of properly. Enough to put me off the potential 5-7k repair bills if you are unfortunate enough to encounter it. The subject certainly divides opinion since many have never had issues with their own but there are plenty who have that's for sure.
Define 'Plenty' if you would compared with the number sold world wide, and which years affected?
I look forward to your answer.

'Plenty' enough for me to rule out buying a 180CFCA engined california.

Welcome to the Forum, good luck with your search. With regards to your Evoque a work colleague has just sold a 53-plate SD4 (Pure I think) privately for over £4k more than the local LR dealer offered as a trade in against a newish one. Presumably they can still sell every one they have so are not that enthusiastic on doing deals.

Welcome to the Forum, good luck with your search. With regards to your Evoque a work colleague has just sold a 53-plate SD4 (Pure I think) privately for over £4k more than the local LR dealer offered as a trade in against a newish one. Presumably they can still sell every one they have so are not that enthusiastic on doing deals.
Thank you for your post Paul.
Ref the Evoque, thats interesting. I am torn whether to just do things the easy way (LR Dealer/WBAC.com) or have a crack at advertising. Another 4k towards a Cali would be a result! but the waiting and low ball offers could mean missing out. I'm waiting for the penny to drop right now on whats most likely to get me in the right Cali.

I sold my last car via motors.co.uk. Free and they hide your contact details, got a super buyer who turned up, test drove, transferred the cash, had researched all the DVLA stuff and drove off with it a couple of hours later. I valued it using WCAC & Autotrader. Well happy.

Thank you for your post Paul.
Ref the Evoque, thats interesting. I am torn whether to just do things the easy way (LR Dealer/WBAC.com) or have a crack at advertising. Another 4k towards a Cali would be a result! but the waiting and low ball offers could mean missing out. I'm waiting for the penny to drop right now on whats most likely to get me in the right Cali.

Well, if it's an consolation her Evoque sold within 2 weeks. There's an article in Autocar this week about WBAC and other similar companies. To be honest it's not eye-opening it just reiterates what most people already knew: that if you can bite your lip through all the aggro of a private sale that is where you'll recover the best price for your old car.

I have our own BMW X3 to sell to aid our Cali purchase. In a couple of months from now the demand for our car should start to rise & the opposite for calis. That said I'd imagine less calis will be on the market but I'm confident a private sale of our x3 is the way to go especially with it being very well specced, WBAC don't offer much more based on spec

If you become a VIP member of this forum (if you're not already) then in the downloads section there are a load of historic brochures that you can download and put a timeline together. Some old price lists in there too, with user manuals, technical training manuals etc etc

Done :thumb

Just thought I'd throw in a little update.
Considered many options now and have decided to go new.
Thats a massive shock to my savings but all in all it equates, regarding how special the purchase and ownership will be, the age of the vehicle/residual value (which I guessed with some pessimism using current values as a much higher end guide) when all debts are cleared etc and when you throw in the fun of getting your own options (within budget of course) and knowing its brand new, there seemed too many compromises with my original goal posts.
I appreciate why people love the Cali that they have but when you can choose a T6 over a T5 it's mighty tempting and in my case irresistible. The cabin is a strong factor for me along with DSG and 150 over 140.
Finances 99% sorted. Looking like Monday could be the day to nail it!

I have our own BMW X3 to sell to aid our Cali purchase. In a couple of months from now the demand for our car should start to rise & the opposite for calis. That said I'd imagine less calis will be on the market but I'm confident a private sale of our x3 is the way to go especially with it being very well specced, WBAC don't offer much more based on spec
I sold my BMW through Tootle which is a site that puts your car out to dealers nationally who will make an offer. I got £1000 more than WBAC quoted.
Simple process as the Dealer with best offer sent a transporter, driver verified car as stated, called his office, office paid money into my account, car gone.
No tyre kickers, iffy payment etc to worry about.
You don't have to sell and no fees either.

I sold my BMW through Tootle which is a site that puts your car out to dealers nationally who will make an offer. I got £1000 more than WBAC quoted.
Simple process as the Dealer with best offer sent a transporter, driver verified car as stated, called his office, office paid money into my account, car gone.
No tyre kickers, iffy payment etc to worry about.
You don't have to sell and no fees either.

I am selling my son's car following his return to the USA.

Had my appointment with WBAC today. The £6k offer became a £5k offer after a kick of the tyres. I shook hands and said no thanks.

Stopped by at the local Skoda dealers, a nice cup of coffee whilst he walked around with clipboard in hand, came back, the only haggle I had was getting someone to give me a lift back home as £6k winged it's way into my bank.

I could have got more if sold privately. I had neither the motivation or time.

Footnote: In my shared ownership of a Skoda I am well impressed by both the product and the Dealership.

I am selling my son's car following his return to the USA.

Had my appointment with WBAC today. The £6k offer became a £5k offer after a kick of the tyres. I shook hands and said no thanks.

Stopped by at the local Skoda dealers, a nice cup of coffee whilst he walked around with clipboard in hand, came back, the only haggle I had was getting someone to give me a lift back home as £6k winged it's way into my bank.

I could have got more if sold privately. I had neither the motivation or time.

Footnote: In my shared ownership of a Skoda I am well impressed by both the product and the Dealership.
Your WBAC experience confirms what I've heard about price cutting, heard that the buyers get bonus based on how much they reduce online quote by.
Also charge admin fee for buying your car and additional fee if you want paying that day.

Their online quote is useful when trading in as it has got the dealers trade in price up for both my LR Discovery4 some years ago and my Daughter's trade in car change last week by £500.
Both times dealer price was £1000 lower that WBAC.
On paper trade remained the same but buying price came down on both.

Have the quote on your smartphone to verify.