Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looked at, wondered about, lusted after ,hired......so wanting to buy.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone.
I'm sure my process is very common but here goes..
I initially didn't 'get it' the whole small camper van thing. But this community wouldn't go away as more and more vans continued to fill our roads as everyday transport and day/weekend+ getaway vehicles.
All of our holidays tended to be out of the country but never one to relish flying, along with regular inclination to just want to get away spontaneously I really started to wonder about the merits of a modern VW camper about 7 years ago.
My family of 3 has recently grown by 1 (a knee high 4 legged friend) which limits our ability to fly (what a shame) and my running and cycling hobbies on the up suddenly had me lusting after a van to be the best of both worlds in terms of everyday use combined with sparsely planned get aways. But still I questioned whether it could end up being the worst of both worlds so we hired one to fing out.
Just back from that trip and full of enthusiasm so I have joined up to the forum.
We had 5 nights in the hired T6 Ocean and granted the weather was pretty ideal but the thing swallowed all our luggage, the fridge was far from empty when we got home. Fuel consumption was reasonable, the driving was just fine (I think it was a 150ps) so I am now trying to stay rational and choose the right vehicle.
High on my agenda is the auto and my budget is not as high as I would like it to be at circa £30k. But hey...something will come up that fits the bill.
Looking forward to picking your brains and browsing for FAQ's.

Regards

:welcome

Similar budget to what we had... As you can see, there's so much information on the forum to point you in the right direction... Happy hunting...

Thanks for the quick welcomes so far.
+ Sad, it's interesting that your budget was similar so it has me wondering what you were able to get for your money. Do you have a post about your purchase? (I'll have a quick gander now).

Welcome , Cali fever ....no cure for it ...

Same budget as me. The waiting game for the right van can be frustrating but will be worth it in the end. Do you know what your ideal spec is for that price?

Hi everyone.
I initially didn't 'get it' the whole small camper van thing. But this community wouldn't go away as more and more vans continued to fill our roads as everyday transport and day/weekend+ getaway vehicles.
All of our holidays tended to be out of the country but never one to relish flying, along with regular inclination to just want to get away spontaneously I really started to wonder about the merits of a modern VW camper about 7 years ago.
My family of 3 has recently grown by 1 (a knee high 4 legged friend) which limits our ability to fly (what a shame) and my running and cycling hobbies on the up suddenly had me lusting after a van to be the best of both worlds in terms of everyday use combined with sparsely planned get aways. But still I questioned whether it could end up being the worst of both worlds so we hired one to fing out.
Just back from that trip and full of enthusiasm so I have joined up to the forum.
We had 5 nights in the hired T6 Ocean and granted the weather was pretty ideal but the thing swallowed all our luggage, the fridge was far from empty when we got home. Fuel consumption was reasonable, the driving was just fine (I think it was a 150ps) so I am now trying to stay rational and choose the right vehicle.
High on my agenda is the auto and my budget is not as high as I would like it to be at circa £30k. But hey...something will come up that fits the bill.

Regards

Nice first post; you're a natural. The forum needs people like you. Buy one now! (Or not - but still keep posting!)

Same budget as me. The waiting game for the right van can be frustrating but will be worth it in the end. Do you know what your ideal spec is for that price?
Hi Ryemslie,
No I don't know yet to be honest as I don't know what the base line spec is for a given year of manufacture. Obviously I want to maximise what I can get for the budget but what is realistic I don't know.
Goals? which I see as slightly different than ideal spec.
I want an auto or perhaps in VW speak DSG is better terminology.
I want at least 140ps.
2 owners max.
Front / rear parking sensors.
Swivelling front seats.
Metallic paint (I really like the brown or silver)
Alloys
Accident free, almost unmarked exterior.
55k miles tops
Cam belt done
FFSH
Everything working
Private sale
As new as possible
Maybe thats asking a lot and compromise may have to be made but in effect, don't we all want as close and looked after from new as is possible given the age of the vehicle for sale?

Good luck to you sir.

Hi Ryemslie,
No I don't know yet to be honest as I don't know what the base line spec is for a given year of manufacture. Obviously I want to maximise what I can get for the budget but what is realistic I don't know.
Goals? which I see as slightly different than ideal spec.
I want an auto or perhaps in VW speak DSG is better terminology.
I want at least 140ps.
2 owners max.
Front / rear parking sensors.
Swivelling front seats.
Metallic paint (I really like the brown or silver)
Alloys
Accident free, almost unmarked exterior.
55k miles tops
Cam belt done
FFSH
Everything working
Private sale
As new as possible
Maybe thats asking a lot and compromise may have to be made but in effect, don't we all want as close and looked after from new as is possible given the age of the vehicle for sale?

Good luck to you sir.

I don't think that sounds unreasonable, but the older autos are not DSG (double clutch)

I don't think that sounds unreasonable, but the older autos are not DSG (double clutch)
Thanks,
I can see I need to do a lot of homework on terminology and getting to understand variants.
I don't suppose anyone knows of a walk through 'time line' thread that gives this sort of info? even better if it mentions mechanical pro's and cons in relation to each variant.

At the same time, I realise that some things get a bad rep (especially on forums) and may give you no trouble what so ever.

If you become a VIP member of this forum (if you're not already) then in the downloads section there are a load of historic brochures that you can download and put a timeline together. Some old price lists in there too, with user manuals, technical training manuals etc etc

If you become a VIP member of this forum (if you're not already) then in the downloads section there are a load of historic brochures that you can download and put a timeline together. Some old price lists in there too, with user manuals, technical training manuals etc etc
Not yet I'm not but it sounds like a must do.... thank you.

Welcome! @2020 freedom lookong forward to seeing how your adventure develops.

We agonised over our perfect van and budget for a long while but until we got out there looking at Calis we didn't actually know what we could get. Don't let indecision delay your fun. Any private purchase is a risk.

Have you seen this in the classifieds?

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/classi...ual-metallic-grey/cumbria/vw-t5-california-se
Salisbury eh?
Freakily, that was the last stop on our hired T6 journey yesterday as we pulled into the the carpark near the Maltings to stretch our legs and have a look around.
Thanks for your post, I have seen that one and it is my starting point in terms of expectations.
Looks nice to me and will consider it if it's still there once my search has matured a little.
I need to know what to do with the Evoque first (going to see Land Rover this afternoon). Then firm up the budget. In the mean time I will be checking a anything out that I can physically lay my hands on.

Can I just add a belated welcome. You are already getting great advice so Granny's words of wisdom will only repeat what already has been said but hello, welcome and good hunting :D

Can I just add a belated welcome. You are already getting great advice so Granny's words of wisdom will only repeat what already has been said but hello, welcome and good hunting :D
Yes great service indeed. This is a lively forum and appears to carry a great deal of enthusiasm.
I have been a member of other ordinary car forums and whilst they have a number of enthusiasts the majority tends to be 'I have a problem, why me? sort it out for me, I wish I never bought the damn thing, thanks goodbye.' type posters.
Clearly the Cali's and Beaches are bought and talked about from the heart as well as the head and passion doesn't get left behind once the sweet wrappers have filled the door pockets :thumb

Yes great service indeed. This is a lively forum and appears to carry a great deal of enthusiasm.
I have been a member of other ordinary car forums and whilst they have a number of enthusiasts the majority tends to be 'I have a problem, why me? sort it out for me, I wish I never bought the damn thing, thanks goodbye.' type posters.
Clearly the Cali's and Beaches are bought and talked about from the heart as well as the head and passion doesn't get left behind once the sweet wrappers have filled the door pockets :thumb

Sweet wrappers filling door pockets?:shocked

Young man! I will have you know that I keep Albert on a very strict diet! I don't even over-inflate his tyres :shocked

Yes, for many a Cali is not for Christmas or for life: it is life itself. I bought mine for a two year project 4 years ago and it has become such an indispensable item that I cannot conceive the thought of ever being without one again.

Salisbury eh?
Freakily, that was the last stop on our hired T6 journey yesterday as we pulled into the the carpark near the Maltings to stretch our legs and have a look around.

Ah yes! The Maltings car park is one of a kind.

I did the same with my car (Audi Q5). Spoke to Audi dealers and they offered me a fair price. Probably would have got a couple of £k more if I sold it privately but fortunately I had found a Cali so it was a quick solution.

If you are set to start looking, get an offer form the dealer for your car then get it on auto trader. Dealer will usually give you 21 days.

I think You're preparing at the right time of year as hopefully there'll be a few more Calis out there for sale.

Good luck!

Hi everyone.

Regards
I think you are going to be looking at 08 plates for that. Most calis are looked after like babies, so there is likely to be some good ones around.
That was my budget when I started looking, but, after reading the forum, got to picky, and kept finding broken bits or roof corrosion etc on the older models....but after 8 or 9 years you must accept a bit of this.
Thén i got paranoid about all the bits that can go wrong and be very expensive to repair. So I went for a 30 mile 6 month old ,ex demo...almost half as much again, but with 2.5 yrs warranty.
I haven't regretted it atall, although not needed the warranty ( yet). But the peace of mind was worth it, and I have learnt so much...both from the forum and experience. And looking at second hand prices, I could sell it now for almost as much as I bought it.
My only regret....except I try not to look at life like that...is that I didn't get it sooner!! Why did I spend so many years looking and hiring , when I could have had my own.

@CYCLOPATH I didn't know whether to agree with you or thank you for your post....
So here's the Thanks.
Like you I could easily get too picky and paranoid. It's nice to know I'm not alone. There is no way I could stretch my budget to ex-demo territory though i'm sure.
However I'll squeeze my top end a little if I can for the right van.

Just remember, low mileage vehicles means standing around for weeks if not months every year.
The California is a factory conversion of a commercial vehicle. Leaving aside the camping conversion the base vehicle is not designed to stand idle for any significant time. AirCon fails if not used regularly, oil absorbs water from the atmosphere if not regularly used/heated so degrading its lubricant properties, suspension and tyres in one position for months at a time. There are mileage/ time critical service items which are often overlooked because of low mileage. e.g.: Cambelts degenerate and are mileage and time sensitive items. I personally believe a properly serviced 60,000 miles in 3 years is a safer prospect than a 15,000 in 3 years vehicle that has not been used for 6 months each year and which may have a grater chance of belt failure before the 4 yr mark as for half its 3 year life it has been tensioned in one place.

There are companies that store customers vehicles and they don't just park them up under cover. Wheels off, vehicle jacked up so Suspension is at optimal rest point. Fluids etc: removed and replaced for fresh before use and even belts etc: replaced before use and so on.

A well looked after and cherished vehicle is not necessarily a low mileage one, so take care.

As many have said & in my experience searching so far a 30k budget will get you a well kept 08/09 2.5ltr -174hp T5 with low mileage or an early T5.1 140hp with higher mileage & more than likely be basic spec with a manual gearbox. The T5.1 would probably take a little haggling to get for 30k too. There was a very good looking metallic grey 12plate on autotrader last week, manual with around 50+k on the clock if I remember rightly (looked at so many!) for £34,900. I thought that was an excellent price & it sold very quickly. There was also an excellent beige 13 registered 62 plate on here a month or so back 20k on the clock & manual gearbox which sold for 35k so there are good deals to be had. Those deals don't hang about for long tho so you need to act quickly to secure, sounds like you have this covered though. The VIP membership as said is a must & has all the information you'll ever need to hand.

Last edited: