Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Longish trip do I take take...?

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
As mentioned before we are planning a trip to Norway. We are planning to be away for about four weeks.

Should I take a spare gas cylinder? They do take up a lot of space.
Should I take a spare can of diesel? Same as the spare gas cylinder, ie space.
Is there a small cooker that will work off the campsite electricity, ie a rice cooker that can be used for general cooking?

Thank you in advance.

1) Diesel: I wouldn't bother taking a spare can of diesel. Although I've not driven in Norway (so there may be something different there) I've done two particularly long driving holidays in my life. One from Melbourne in Australia to Darwin through the desert outback roads (Birdsville Track, Oodnadatta Track). And another long trip from Chennai (Madras) in the South of India back to the UK via India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Balkans, Italy, France. On both trips I took a spare can and never used it for its intended purpose. Was useful for buying cheap contraband Iranian petrol in border areas (Pakistan / Eastern Turkey) but otherwise was a "waste of space". Was driving a 'normal' car on 'normal' roads. Nothing outlandish.

2) yes I would take a spare gas cylinder - you could get a camping gaz 904 (half the size of a 907) as it means you can use the "in use" cylinder until empty and aren't reliant on swapping something that's not nearly empty.

Difference between 1) and 2) is that you can fill up a partially empty tank of diesel but not so straightforward with camping gaz to do that

3) Loads of small cookers around - both using gas & electricity but then you're back to the 'space' issue.

Bet you'll get lots of differing opinions on this one.

EDIT - the vehicle I was driving (a 1972 Holden HQ Kingswood) had a range of about 350 miles on a tank

Last edited:
1) Diesel: I wouldn't bother taking a spare can of diesel. Although I've not driven in Norway (so there may be something different there) I've done two particularly long driving holidays in my life. One from Melbourne in Australia to Darwin through the desert outback roads (Birdsville Track, Oodnadatta Track). And another long trip from Chennai (Madras) in the South of India back to the UK via India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Balkans, Italy, France. On both trips I took a spare can and never used it for its intended purpose. Was useful for buying cheap contraband Iranian petrol in border areas (Pakistan / Eastern Turkey) but otherwise was a "waste of space". Was driving a 'normal' car on 'normal' roads. Nothing outlandish.

2) yes I would take a spare gas cylinder - you could get a camping gaz 904 (half the size of a 907) as it means you can use the "in use" cylinder until empty and aren't reliant on swapping something that's not nearly empty.

Difference between 1) and 2) is that you can fill up a partially empty tank of diesel but not so straightforward with camping gaz to do that

3) Loads of small cookers around - both using gas & electricity but then you're back to the 'space' issue.

Bet you'll get lots of differing opinions on this one.

EDIT - the vehicle I was driving (a 1972 Holden HQ Kingswood) had a range of about 350 miles on a tank

Thank you

I too have driven long distances a bit.

In 1976 I drove from London Bridge to Kathamandu, via Europe, Turkey, Iran (diagonally across the great salt desert), Afghanistan (including a trip to the north of the country) Pakistan, India, Nepal. We carried 2 x 5 gallon jerry cans, used them all the time, but we were in a 25 ton bedford lorry. Then, from Kathmandu down the west coast of India, to the centre, then the south, then back up the east coast to Kathmandu. Wild camping all the way.Img0007.jpg

But did you take 2 gas cylinders?

Is that your van? Looks like a great one. Very reminiscent of my trip.

How far could you get out of a tank of fuel on that thing?

As mentioned before we are planning a trip to Norway. We are planning to be away for about four weeks.

Is there a small cooker that will work off the campsite electricity, ie a rice cooker that can be used for general cooking?

Thank you in advance.
Don’t bother with either. Norway has filling stations, just fill up in good time, somewhere after an indicated half tank, as distances between filling stations can be big.

We found that a full single 907 cylinder is sufficient for four for four nights. Tea/coffee in the morning, and a hot meal in the evening. Campingaz cannot be bought in Norway but nearly all campsites have a backpackers kitchen with electric hobs. You could also take something like this to use when on hookup.
a5caa4ab315ceea0cc9f8df9c325c13d.jpg

£25 from Argos.

But did you take 2 gas cylinders?

Is that your van? Looks like a great one. Very reminiscent of my trip.

How far could you get out of a tank of fuel on that thing?

MPG, not sure, it was long time ago. I think we had two big gas cylinders. The photo was taken in central Iran, after a main leaf spring had broken. Luckily we had a spare.

I think this thread might be removed as I have gone off on a tandem somewhat.

Img0006.jpg

Don’t bother with either. Norway has filling stations, just fill up in good time, somewhere after an indicated half tank, as distances between filling stations can be big.

We found that a full single 907 cylinder is sufficient for four for four nights. Tea/coffee in the morning, and a hot meal in the evening. Campingaz cannot be bought in Norway but nearly all campsites have a backpackers kitchen with electric hobs. You could also take something like this to use when on hookup.
a5caa4ab315ceea0cc9f8df9c325c13d.jpg

£25 from Argos.

Excellent, thank you. We use a toaster and electic kettle on hook up - to get our money's worth.

@Anthony1 - great pictures - thanks - keep the tangent going!

@Amarillo -- regarding gas in Norway -- what would you regard as the best option for going off grid there please in terms of gas supplies? Is there a similarly sized Norwegian cylinder that you can buy an adapter for?

Excellent, thank you. We use a toaster and electic kettle on hook up - to get our money's worth.

The hotplate is 1500W will this blow up the campsite? I'm no too conversant with watts, volts, amps etc.

No it shouldn't.

Watts = Volts x Amps

1500 watts = 240volts x 6.25 Amps

So as long as you have hookup greater than 6.25 amps then you should be fine.

@Amarillo -- regarding gas in Norway -- what would you regard as the best option for going off grid there please in terms of gas supplies? Is there a similarly sized Norwegian cylinder that you can buy an adapter for?
If you are in Norway for more than a few weeks, 907 size propane is available. We managed 60 nights in northern Europe on two 907 bottles, running out in Krakow where Campingaz 907 refills are not available. But, we ate out seven times, friends invited us into their homes and cooked for us twice, and perhaps on a further six occasions we cooked in backpackers' kitchens. So we managed at least 45 days cooking and hot water for four people with two 907 bottles.

What would be really useful is a diesel hob.

Diesel hob review

Last edited:
Or buy one of THESE and take a couple of cans of gas LIKE THESE and a jubilee clip as a backup: you’re bound to be able to buy more disposable screw-on cylinders either for camping stoves or blow lamps. They hold about 1/10th of the gas of a 907

Last edited:
Asking a Q like this only ends in more doubts and confusion as we all travel diffrent , eat diffrent and you did not tell us how many will take part....
Making tea for one each day or for four is a huge diffrence.

Norway is not the end of the world ....

We always take a small gascoocker with canisters for outside coocking , never carry diesel in jerrycan ,
A full 907 should do for at least 4weeks (even more) with two persons
We took a 904 as spare when we went three weeks Norway but never needed it .

Or buy one of THESE and take a couple of cans of gas LIKE THIS and a jubilee clip as a backup: you’re bound to be able to buy more disposable screw-on cylinders either for camping stoves or blow lamps. They hold about 1/10th of the gas of a 907

Thank you. Your LIKE THIS did not link to anything.

Asking a Q like this only ends in more doubts and confusion as we all travel diffrent , eat diffrent and you did not tell us how many will take part....
Making tea for one each day or for four is a huge diffrence.

Norway is not the end of the world ....

We always take a small gascoocker with canisters for outside coocking , never carry diesel in jerrycan ,
A full 907 should do for at least 4weeks (even more) with two persons
We took a 904 as spare when we went three weeks Norway but never needed it .

Fair enough. 2 people. Gas only for evening meals. kettel and toaster for breakfast. We do have two small single burner stoves we could take. I may appear like I am panicking somewhat but I have heard gas refills are unavailable in Norway and 'er in doors needs her hot food.

Just start of with a full 907 and take something as a back-up .
A 904 or even 901 .
Or a canister stove
You'l donfine , when staying at campsites in Scandinavia use the campsite kitchen to cook your meal and get to know other campers...

We are currently in the process of packing one full and one part full 907 bottles, two regulators and spare (new) gas hose, all packing into a fiberglass gas box, for a 12 day holiday for four people in Spain.

We take two bottles so we can use the double hob and Cadac BBQ simultaneously outside our Beach.

hi @Amarillo

What is this box? What is the point of it? Where did you get it from???

It looks nice but is there a purpose beyond keeping things tidy?

Thanks

hi @Amarillo

Thanks

A extra seat for one of the kids ...

hi @Amarillo

I bought it originally to make otherwise unstackable 907 bottles stackable.

Over a year later I designed our plywood crates around this box.
IMG_2050.JPG

The large plywood crates rest on top of the rails and deliberately sit slightly higher than the gas box. The plywood trays rest on the crates. The gas can be accessed by sliding it out between the crates and below the trays. This means we can camp and cook overnight without unpacking the crates and trays.

As an additional bonus, the gas is protected by luggage behind, the bench seat in front, the trays above and the crates either side in the event of a catastrophic crash. Although not sealed, the box offers some containment in the event of a leak: butane is heavier than air.

Thank you in advance.
I’m in Norway now.
A full 907 cylinder should be fine. Virtually every campsite has a fully fitted out kitchen with everything you could wish. Carry a spare 904 or 901 cylinder if you want Belt and braces.
The main tourist areas are well served with fuel ⛽️ stations, but in the hinterland less so. So as has been mentioned once I get down to a half tank I’ll fill up at the next garage. Don’t go below a 1/4 tank and you’ll be fine. Be prepared to be stopped at the Borders of Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Passports to hand and they may check your vehicle thoroughly or not. I’ve been lucky.

Last year, for a 4 week trip to Iceland, we used less than a 907 bottle. We were 2 people and prepared all the meals on board. We had a 904 in rescue, we sold it to a guy who was still a long time on the island and had no more gas.