Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Location of leisure battery charger

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Does anyone know the location of the battery charger (the one fed by the EHU) on a T6 Beach? (or the EHU T5 Beach for that matter)?

I am looking to hook into its outputs to connect the charge leads from a solar controller (to save routing from rear to front) as the charger output connexions must go the the battery (and be sensibly sized). I have looked around the jack cubby hole and under the front seats but cannot see it. My guess was behind the 240v socket but not easy to access. Any help very much appreciated (as would a wiring diagram for this stuff).

Last edited:
Behind the big panel below the opening window in the rear near side. Had mine replaced as it broke and that's where the garage said it was. You have to pretty much strip out all the side interior I believe.

Behind the big panel below the opening window in the rear near side. Had mine replaced as it broke and that's where the garage said it was. You have to pretty much strip out all the side interior I believe.

Crazy. Why didn't they mount it under the drivers chair. Would be far more accessible.
Would love to know how the interior comes apart. I was going to try at one point for some additional stuff I wanted in mine, but then thought better of it.

If anyone has any idea, or a diagram. What would be really helpful:thumb

Crazy. Why didn't they mount it under the drivers chair. Would be far more accessible.
Would love to know how the interior comes apart. I was going to try at one point for some additional stuff I wanted in mine, but then thought better of it.

If anyone has any idea, or a diagram. What would be really helpful:thumb
Probably because they decided running mains voltage through the vehicle to the seat base was more of a safety hazard than removing a trim panel.

Probably because they decided running mains voltage through the vehicle to the seat base was more of a safety hazard than removing a trim panel.

Haha,
crikey I'm not sure how much of an extra hazard running an additional 2ft of cable could be really. I've only been a qualified electrician for nearly 20years...!!!

Honestly, done properly it should be an easy exercise for Volkswagen

Haha,
crikey I'm not sure how much of an extra hazard running an additional 2ft of cable could be really. I've only been a qualified electrician for nearly 20years...!!!

Honestly, done properly it should be an easy exercise for Volkswagen
They probably use the same mains wiring loom as on the Ocean and that's why the Charger is in that position. I know it could be done differently.

Where did you buy the charger? I need to replace mine for a T4 (1992)
Thanks

Where did you buy the charger? I need to replace mine for a T4 (1992)
Thanks
Not so simple I'm afraid. Different chargers.
The charger in your T4 supplies some info to your Control Panel eg: the mains symbol when connected.
You can fit other chargers that work but you will lose that functionality.
Ctek is a make that has been used. Very good quality. Or this:

https://www.fraron.de/en/a-85859176/

Not so simple I'm afraid. Different chargers.
The charger in your T4 supplies some info to your Control Panel eg: the mains symbol when connected.
You can fit other chargers that work but you will lose that functionality.
Ctek is a make that has been used. Very good quality. Or this:

https://www.fraron.de/en/a-85859176/

Thank you again Welshgas for your quick reply - but
Are you saying that the fraron one WILL retain Control Panel functionality - cos I'm perfectly happy to pay 200 euros, but 600eu for the original is scaring me!
and also, do you know if the fraron retains the dual function of charging the starter battery as well? I'm going to email them as I can't find a phone no, but even with English 'ON', the contact page is still mainly in German.
thanks again,
Laura

Thank you again Welshgas for your quick reply - but
Are you saying that the fraron one WILL retain Control Panel functionality - cos I'm perfectly happy to pay 200 euros, but 600eu for the original is scaring me!
and also, do you know if the fraron retains the dual function of charging the starter battery as well? I'm going to email them as I can't find a phone no, but even with English 'ON', the contact page is still mainly in German.
thanks again,
Laura
Sorry, no idea. Had to give up German for woodwork at O level. :thumb

Has anyone removed the left side trim on their Beach? Any instructions/ tips greatly received.

If you find any, please pass on. I looked at trying to remove and then thought better of it:Nailbiting

It’s been a while now since this original thread. Has anyone got any pics of the beach hookup charger location behind the trim and / or an tips for trim removal of the area to access it. I want to replace the factory charger with a Victron.

It’s been a while now since this original thread. Has anyone got any pics of the beach hookup charger location behind the trim and / or an tips for trim removal of the area to access it. I want to replace the factory charger with a Victron.

I didn't think the beach had its own 240v charger,. I thought it only charged off the engine alternator when engine is running? Might be different in a T6.

(Our hook up was retrofitted as wasn't fitted as standard on our 2012. 240v charging when required is done via fast charger plugged into 240 socket then into lighter socket using an adaptor.)

I didn't think the beach had its own 240v charger,. I thought it only charged off the engine alternator when engine is running? Might be different in a T6.

(Our hook up was retrofitted as wasn't fitted as standard on our 2012. 240v charging when required is done via fast charger plugged into 240 socket then into lighter socket using an adaptor.)

T6 has a hook up which supplies internal 240v socket and a charger located somewhere behind the near side panels.

Initially the EHU and Charger were an Option on the T5 Beach and then it became Standard on the T5.1 and 6.

Back