Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional Beach Leisure battery?

Neilsimpleflying

Neilsimpleflying

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I am thinking about improving the off grid capability of my 2021 t6.1 Beach. From a study of these forum posts I am probably going to instal a 100W solar panel and, following advice on the forum, adding an additional leisure battery, rather than increasing the solar panel output to 200W.

I understand that there is space under the drivers seat to do this but not sure what type and capacity the additional battery should be? Also, will the existing charger be ok for both and should I connect them in series or parallel?

any adice on make and source would be helpful.

I am thinking about improving the off grid capability of my 2021 t6.1 Beach. From a study of these forum posts I am probably going to instal a 100W solar panel and, following advice on the forum, adding an additional leisure battery, rather than increasing the solar panel output to 200W.

I understand that there is space under the drivers seat to do this but not sure what type and capacity the additional battery should be? Also, will the existing charger be ok for both and should I connect them in series or parallel?

Why not put 3 solar panels on the roof instead, and then a add a portable portable LifePO4 if you find you need more capacity later.

somewhere on these forums, Roger Donohughe suggests that it is better to add more battery capacity before additional solar supply.As we have only just acquired our van, there are a number of extra items vying for cash (fridge loo, etc) so I can't splash out too much on extra panels at the moment!

We have two panels and a Beach.

In the daytime the panels recharge the battery. One battery is more than enough capacity to last through the night for leisure lighting, a compressor fridge and phone/tablet recharging.

We have camped in one place for two weeks without moving (12h Easter days not 16h summer days) and the one leisure battery was plenty.

(Just don’t get a 12 volt kettle.)

If you are going for 2 Leisure Batteries then they should be of the same size and capacity and wired in parallel. The built in Battery Charger will be adequate to charge both, wired in parallel the 2 batteries are treated as one large battery.
I would suggest fitting a 75amp cube fuse on the +tve terminal of the 2nd battery as well as fitting some form of Voltage monitor, even if it’s just a 12v socket plug in meter.
Also, if planning on running a 12v fridge then a separate connection to one or other of the batteries with thicker cables to a dedicated Anderson socket or similar for the fridge.

If you are going for 2 Leisure Batteries then they should be of the same size and capacity and wired in parallel. The built in Battery Charger will be adequate to charge both, wired in parallel the 2 batteries are treated as one large battery.
I would suggest fitting a 75amp cube fuse on the +tve terminal of the 2nd battery as well as fitting some form of Voltage monitor, even if it’s just a 12v socket plug in meter.
Also, if planning on running a 12v fridge then a separate connection to one or other of the batteries with thicker cables to a dedicated Anderson socket or similar for the fridge.
thanks for that advice, detailed and succinct! any idea where to get the 75amp cube fuse from?

I got one from 12volt Planet

These are only a fiver.

Alan

What is the best place to install the 2nd leisure battery in T6.1 Beach? One is under the driver seat (left side, non-UK). Is there enough space under the passenger (right) seat? It doesn't seem to have the same "lowering" in the floor to fit the battery as the other place have. Any suggestions?

Back