Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
Hi

Sorry if this post appears a bit naive - but I want to understand about the leisure battery.

I understand that when I have my Cali Beach it will have a leisure battery - and I understand what a leisure is i just want to fully understand.

Firstly where is the leisure battery on the Beach - and when I am camping what will work from it - will I have control over or is that all done for me. For example if I am using 12v sockets - are they going to run from the leisure battery?

Or have I got all this completely wrong :(

Any help much appreciated.

James

I too am wondering this.

The full Cali has a plug-in for mains, which the Beach doesn't.

So a few questions spring to mind.

1) On the full Cali, is the leisure battery charged, when the mains hook-up is used?
2) Assume it is also charged when the engine is running?
3) When no mains hook up is used, what prevents the leisure battery from running too low e.g. when using fridge, or parking heater? I think it is bad for Lead acid batteries to be allowed to completely discharge.

So the key questions for the Beach are:

1) What runs off the leisure battery (some/all of 12v outlets? Interior lights? Parking heater fan?)
2) How does the low voltage/discharge detect work, to prevent running flat?
3) How long does it take to re-charge, and does it rely on the re-genertaive charging in the Bluemotion model.

Chris

syrup1971 said:
I too am wondering this.

The full Cali has a plug-in for mains, which the Beach doesn't.

So a few questions spring to mind.

1) On the full Cali, is the leisure battery charged, when the mains hook-up is used?
2) Assume it is also charged when the engine is running?
3) When no mains hook up is used, what prevents the leisure battery from running too low e.g. when using fridge, or parking heater? I think it is bad for Lead acid batteries to be allowed to completely discharge.

So the key questions for the Beach are:

1) What runs off the leisure battery (some/all of 12v outlets? Interior lights? Parking heater fan?)
2) How does the low voltage/discharge detect work, to prevent running flat?
3) How long does it take to re-charge, and does it rely on the re-genertaive charging in the Bluemotion model.

Chris

Chris

Yes a bit confused - I will be running a bluemotion model. There are three 12v sockets in the van but how does it work.

lol questions questions

James

I assume any sockets on the Beach that are behind the cab seats will be running off the leisure battery the same as the standard Cali, as for a cut when the leisure batteries get low this is something you just need to keep an eye on, on the control panel display.

Heater and lights (apart from cab lights ) all run of the leisure batteries

Martin said:
I assume any sockets on the Beach that are behind the cab seats will be running off the leisure battery the same as the standard Cali, as for a cut when the leisure batteries get low this is something you just need to keep an eye on, on the control panel display.

Heater and lights (apart from cab lights ) all run of the leisure batteries

Thanks Martin

But that was my other question - I didn't see a control panel display on the vans i saw and the one i drove - unless i missed something

James

Arghhh, we are learning all the time about the Beach on here , I did not realise it did not have a control panel :oops: In that case it is a very good question, I am seeing Alex tomorrow at SMG so will try and find out some more information.

Martin said:
Arghhh, we are learning all the time about the Beach on here , I did not realise it did not have a control panel :oops: In that case it is a very good question, I am seeing Alex tomorrow at SMG so will try and find out some more information.

Martin

That would be good - perhaps i missed it - any info would be appreciated :)

James

Just found this photo of the interior and I can't seem to see a control panel

014.png

I realise it is not needed because the roof is manual and no fridge, but there must be a way to check the batteries otherwise it means you have to rely on a multimeter and doing it manually, also if you have the heater installed as an option, how do you operate it?

The beach I Saw in Guilford VW centre had a parking heater, and did have the control panel, though I don't know if it also includes battery information.

Chris

syrup1971 said:
The beach I Saw in Guilford VW centre had a parking heater, and did have the control panel, though I don't know if it also includes battery information.

Chris

Chris

I've sat in one with a parking heater and it did not appear to have any battery info

James

The beach spec does include leisure battery, it is listed under exterior features.

Martin said:
Good point, it does not mention leisure batteries anywhere on the spec sheet http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/california-range/california-beach/overview/#footer-range-menu

Yet on the full Cali Spec sheet it says batteries: 72Ah, 2 auxiliary batteries (maintenance free) with cut-off relay for powering living area (fridge etc.)

So does the beach not have a leisure battery? Ifso, do all the lights run off the vehicle battery?

I don't think it has one lol.

Unless perhaps you specify the parking heater or cool box or something.

Vw traditionally on these type of vans - back through the T4 and T3 - never had leisure batteries - but I don't know.

James

syrup1971 said:
The beach spec does include leisure battery, it is listed under exterior features.

Well spotted, it is in exterior features ... why is a battery an exterior feature, so it looks like it has just the one battery as it says Leisure second battery with cut-off relay but I guess that is all that is needed, can you connect to hook up or does it rely on alternator charging?

syrup1971 said:

Wooohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

Sorry....

Couldn't help myself :oops:

James

Martin said:
syrup1971 said:

Well spotted, it is in exterior features ... why is a battery an exterior feature, so it looks like it has just the one battery as it says Leisure second battery with cut-off relay but I guess that is all that is needed, can you connect to hook up or does it rely on alternator charging?

:thumb :)

Would love to know the following about the Beach battery:
How many batteries? Sounds like 1 from the brochure description, but then the brochure is rubbish.
What size are the batteries? Should we assume 72AH ?
Where is it?
Is there a cut-off?
Is there a display panel to show charge level?
What runs off the leisure battery? Lights, rear 12v sockets? The optional cool box? Diesel heater?

...and some thoughts
(1) I was thinking of using a hook-up to standard 3pin plug lead for sites, that way avoiding using the battery for plug in stuff. They are only 40/50 quid.
(2) I was going to run a 150watt invertor that plugs into 12volt outlets. This would allow for low power stuff like small tv, extra lights, laptop. Assuming there is 1 72ah battery and you run at 100watts you get just over 8.5 hours of use if completely drained.
(3) The optional heater is diesel so presumably the electrical requirements are minimal.

:thanks for any help!

I don't believe there is an external hookup for charging. I guess they didn't want it for cost reasons, and figured that the standard beach, only needed the leisure battery for lighting (only optional fridge, optional parking heater).

Still does raise the question of knowing what level the battery is at.

I guess one of the below, may become essential for us Beach owners

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAC-Battery-and ... 164&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive ... B001VC4PVG

http://www.amazon.co.uk/COMPACT-BATTERY ... 164&sr=8-1

Chris

BikerBoy said:
Is there a cut-off?
VW Web site says "Leisure second battery with cut-off relay"

BikerBoy said:
(1) I was thinking of using a hook-up to standard 3pin plug lead for sites, that way avoiding using the battery for plug in stuff. They are only 40/50 quid.
I have one of these, and will probably use it. My question will be how to run the cable into the van, without having door/window open.

BikerBoy said:
(3) The optional heater is diesel so presumably the electrical requirements are minimal.
I think the heater uses a fan to blow the air uses the leisure battery , but that should be fairly low power requirements.

If its the same heater as the Cali most of the battery drain will be when it starts up
Once it gets hot it's just a small fan running :thumb

syrup1971 said:
I don't believe there is an external hookup for charging. I guess they didn't want it for cost reasons, and figured that the standard beach, only needed the leisure battery for lighting (only optional fridge, optional parking heater).

Still does raise the question of knowing what level the battery is at.

I guess one of the below, may become essential for us Beach owners

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAC-Battery-and ... 164&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive ... B001VC4PVG

http://www.amazon.co.uk/COMPACT-BATTERY ... 164&sr=8-1

Chris

Hopefully we won't need these, but I guess the price is not a wallet basher!

Calikev said:
If its the same heater as the Cali most of the battery drain will be when it starts up
Once it gets hot it's just a small fan running :thumb

Does it definitely run off the leisure battery?

BikerBoy said:
I have one of these, and will probably use it. My question will be how to run the cable into the van, without having door/window open.

I reckon 90% of time I will be happy with window/door approach and don't forget most of the time you won't need for basic electricals. It's the kettle, 50" plasma TV and microwave that need the mains!

I don't plan to leave connected during the night for a variety of reasons.

There is a window ventilation panel from Brandup which deals with the security issue. You could probably squeeze wire through or drill a small hole in it and then reconnect one end. I bet there's a bunch of other similar offerings available as well.

Ultimately I guess, if required, its worth customising van with an external connector that will charge battery as well as a serious invertor with multiple plug points.