Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Leisure Battery Replacement

Thanks will send my husband out again to the van. However in the meantime I will ask another question. While away last weekend the battery did not charge from mains as after 2 days my phone would not charge from 12v socket in living area and diesel heater gave an error. It seems to be charging from the alternator because it read 12.5v after getting home. The starter battery is being charged from the mains.
OK.
1. How do you know the engine battery is being charged from the Mains Charger?
2. If the Leisure battery drops to 11.5v the Parking Heater won't start.
3. There is no voltage cut off on lights and 12v sockets so they can really run the leisure battery down to low levels.
4. If the leisure battery is not being charged while on hookup then you need to check that you have mains supply to any mains socket you have and check the relevant 12v charging fuse. Fuse diagrams in Resources section.

I removed part of the seat bases on both sides and fitted a couple of 110Ah Lifepo4 batteries. They identical in height and width to the OEM battery but 355mm long.
@Mike Currie , would you mind sharing the mods you made to the battery mounting plate on the passenger side, and a new plate(?) on the driver side to fit the longer battery please? How did you secure the batteries?

It’s under the passenger seat. Loosen front seat bolts half way, slide seat forward.
Turn ignition off and don’t switch back on.
undo rear seat rail bolts and tilt seat forward
Disconnect airbag yellow connector and any other seated seat connectors. Do not switch ignition on else airbag error.
remove rubber battery cover.
admire battery.
when refitting ensure that bolts tightened to correct torque and connections remade before ignition on.
Proceed at own risk.
Hi. Can anyone tell me where the yellow connector is referred to above ? _ I've a 2019 Beach and current battery no longer holding charge. Hoping it's an easy swap out for a complete novice ?

I think it’s best to disconnect it to avoid any risk. On my 2016 the yellow connector is on the underside of the seat itself. Make sure you disconnect the starter battery first though and do not reconnect the starter battery (under the bonnet) until the job is done and the seat reconnected. This is just my successful experience - I am not qualified in any way here. Your risk etc. hope that helps.

Yellow connector is in middle of the seat base (the bit that rotates). It’s obvious when you come to take the seat off the rails as at the end of a bit of cable, approx 20cm long. This cable is the last thing stopping you moving the seat away.
Connected to a pressure pad to check if anyone is sitting in the passenger seat and thus if the passenger airbag needs to be deployed.

Just dont turn the ignition on when the underseat airbag wire is disconnected, or it will show airbag fault on the dash; which can only be reset by dealer, or, DIY using Carista.