Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery charging values - confused

Themadwife

Themadwife

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hiya - had my T6.1 for nearly 2 years - just had solar panel fitted . Away in a field this week, been using heater at night- it’s been bloomin chilly !

As I'm excited to see the solar panels working I’ve been looking at the screen more than usual- but am flummoxed by the figures!

First photo shows figures at 13.01 - fridge on, only.

Second is at 15.40, fridge on

Third at 15.42 - I switched off fridge to see effect

4th - 16.32 - fridge still off

5th - 17.55 - fridge off

What are these figures telling me … is the battery charging ?!

It’s like a foreign language to me

Thanks

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0864.jpeg

IMG_0865.jpeg

Hiya - had my T6.1 for nearly 2 years - just had solar panel fitted . Away in a field this week, been using heater at night- it’s been bloomin chilly !

As I'm excited to see the solar panels working I’ve been looking at the screen more than usual- but am flummoxed by the figures!

First photo shows figures at 13.01 - fridge on, only.

Second is at 15.40, fridge on

Third at 15.42 - I switched off fridge to see effect

4th - 16.32 - fridge still off

5th - 17.55 - fridge off

What are these figures telling me … is the battery charging ?!

It’s like a foreign language to me

Thanks

View attachment 122448

View attachment 122449

View attachment 122450

View attachment 122451

View attachment 122452

View attachment 122453

View attachment 122454
Based on those voltage readings - No.

Ignore the “ Hours “ left reading . It is a calculation based on power consumption at that point in time and is not very accurate overall.

The voltage is the important reading.

I presume you have a screen or app for your solar panel system? What does that show?

I don't see evidence of charging. What does your solar controller look like?

Wait, there's a little charge at 1632.

Based on those voltage readings - No.

Ignore the “ Hours “ left reading . It is a calculation based on power consumption at that point in time and is not very accurate overall.

The voltage is the important reading.

I presume you have a screen or app for your solar panel system? What does that show?
It shows it is charging .

If the voltage is the important reading - does it look ok ?

shots from screen
I don't see evidence of charging. What does your solar controller look like?
see photos below

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0873.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0870.jpeg

It shows it is charging .

If the voltage is the important reading - does it look ok ?

shots from screen

see photos below

View attachment 122456

View attachment 122457

View attachment 122458

View attachment 122459

View attachment 122460
I presume the output from the Solar controller is connected to the rear leisure battery.
There is a 75 or 100 amp cube fuse on the rear battery +tve pole. If that fuse has blown then you maybe charging the rear battery from solar power BUT that battery is disconnected from the front battery.

What would be useful is if you could cycle your solar controller display until it says "bat" bottom left. It will then show Volts Amps and temperature.

Can you compare the volts to what you see on you van control panel (try to take a reading at more or less the same time.)

Also note what what reading you see on the controller is when it says "pv" bottom left and "V" and "A" in the display and you've got good sunshine on your panel.

The "Load" part of the controller is unlikely to have been used so the "Load" readouts are not particularly useful.

If it's showing 12.3V at rest then you are depleted a bit; depending on how long you've been camping for, the power output of your panels, the weather and your demands on the leisure batteries that could be expected. However, for us a 100W panel kept the leisures pretty much fully charged (12.8v ish).

Back