Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leak at top of tailgate

Frank Mc

Frank Mc

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all
I’ve looked at many threads but can’t seem to a route cause.
I bought my Cali new in 2017, T6 Ocean, and just tonight for the first time there is a drip coming from the top of the tailgate.
It is raining and 100% definitely not condensation.
I thought the door may not have been closed correctly but it is closing tight with motor pulling it in tight.
Any ideas of cause and solution would be gratefully received as it’s dripping on my head when trying to sleep!!
See picture taken, me lying down on the bed looking up at top of the tailgate.
Many thanks in advance.
Frank

Hi all
I bought my Cali new in 2017, T6 Ocean, and just tonight for the first time there is a drip coming from the top of the tailgate.
I thought the door may not have been closed correctly but it is closing tight with motor pulling it in tight.
Any ideas of cause and solution would be gratefully received as it’s dripping on my head when trying to sleep!!
Many thanks in advance.
Frank
Post in thread '2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/2023-ocean-leaking-roof-fabric.49408/post-654155

@Frank Mc Your picture has not been uploaded so I can not see where the water is ingressing however I have not seen it mentioned recently but a few years ago there were a lot of posts with the issue of water entering the van via the faulty high brake light.

As @Meoncoast says, the brake light is one possibility another is the rubber seal around the rear hatch. A few (including me) have found that that the rubber seems not to making a good seal against the hatch, allowing water to drip.
A simple fix seems to be to pull the seal a couple of millimetres away from the van so it makes firmer contact with the hatch.

Depends where you see the drips accumulate? I saw the problem my first trip out in mild rain. In my case I think the seal is incorrectly position and is not creating enough pressure against the bodywork and allows water to pass. As ArunAlec says it should only need repositioning and pulled out a mm or 2.
thumbnail.jpeg

Hi all
Many thanks in advance.
Frank

Hi,
I had this issue as well. My Cali Coast was new and only after the first few nights away I realised it wasn't condensation. As always the dealership was close to useless. After they used a jet washer on the door area they proclaimed there wasn't a fault! In all my Cali was returned 3 or 4 times and even now I'm not sure they cured the problem. They replaced the rubber seal and finally (apparently) adjusted the hinges. For my part I purchased some expensive rubber seal grease and applied that around the upper seal and it seems ok now. Though, the grease does collect the muck and fly's, so needs to be cleaned and re-applied annually. As a footnote. My problem was at its worst when I parked up my drive's incline, causing excess rain water to run down the roof and into the gap between the tailgate. If I reversed up the drive, the water ran to the front and I had no issue!
Jon's T6.1 VAN

Hi,
I had this issue as well. My Cali Coast was new and only after the first few nights away I realised it wasn't condensation. As always the dealership was close to useless. After they used a jet washer on the door area they proclaimed there wasn't a fault! In all my Cali was returned 3 or 4 times and even now I'm not sure they cured the problem. They replaced the rubber seal and finally (apparently) adjusted the hinges. For my part I purchased some expensive rubber seal grease and applied that around the upper seal and it seems ok now. Though, the grease does collect the muck and fly's, so needs to be cleaned and re-applied annually. As a footnote. My problem was at its worst when I parked up my drive's incline, causing excess rain water to run down the roof and into the gap between the tailgate. If I reversed up the drive, the water ran to the front and I had no issue!
Jon's T6.1 VAN
On the Calibord forum people are installing a secondary rubber seal above the original. That also fixes the issue and has the added advantage of preventing the accumulation of detritus in the gap.
I plan to adjust my seal by pulling it out a couple of mm and then installing the extra seal strip.

If you want to check the tailgate seal is actually sealing against the tailgate correctly.
1. Ensure gutter behind seal is clean.
2. Get some sheets of A4 paper and cut into long strips about 3" wide.
Lay the strips from roof over seal to underside of open tailgate. Close tailgate slowly and lock.
Pull out each strip of paper from the roof.
Any strip that pulls out easily means seal is not making good contact. Pull seal upwards in those affected areas and repeat process until all strips require equal force to pull out.

The high top roof on my Joker channels rain water nicely down directly into the recesses where the hinges are fitted, which is where I get my drips!

Depends where you see the drips accumulate? I saw the problem my first trip out in mild rain. In my case I think the seal is incorrectly position and is not creating enough pressure against the bodywork and allows water to pass. As ArunAlec says it should only need repositioning and pulled out a mm or 2.
View attachment 112463
Hi, Your photo looks exactly the same as the one I sent over to my VW dealer!

Hi all
Many thanks in advance.
Frank
Hi all
Thanks for all the responses, I very much appreciate your advise and experience.
Photo attached ok this time I think !!
Many thanks
Frank

Attachments

• IMG_7080.jpeg
    IMG_7080.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 15
After all this rain this morning I have just been outside and looked at the rear part from the inside without opening the tailgate - Ive got exactly the same - I tool delivery of my T6.1 Nov 22. I can see its definitely the rubber seal...I will try pulling out a bit but looks like its pretty well fixed in place.
Someone has suggested another seal stuck above...Im presuming that isnt a VW part. could anyone put a link to what you would buy and exactly where you would stick it please?
I realise the sensible option is to have rear seal replaced under warranty which is the obvious option but if there is a quick fix without ripping things out Id be interested?

Hi, Your photo looks exactly the same as the one I sent over to my VW dealer!
Yes it's certainly not flowing in like the MY23 bellows, just enough to leave a couple of drops on the mattress after several hours. Should be an easy fix.

After all this rain this morning I have just been outside and looked at the rear part from the inside without opening the tailgate - Ive got exactly the same - I tool delivery of my T6.1 Nov 22. I can see its definitely the rubber seal...I will try pulling out a bit but looks like its pretty well fixed in place.
Someone has suggested another seal stuck above...Im presuming that isnt a VW part. could anyone put a link to what you would buy and exactly where you would stick it please?
I realise the sensible option is to have rear seal replaced under warranty which is the obvious option but if there is a quick fix without ripping things out Id be interested?
Easily adjusted. Block of wood under steel/rubber grip and tap lightly with hammer. Do whole upper section by 1-2mm then close tailgate.

Easily adjusted. Block of wood under steel/rubber grip and tap lightly with hammer. Do whole upper section by 1-2mm then close tailgate.
Thanks - Tapping the grip out slightly, I logically presume or in slightly?

My tailgate seal leaks too. Getting a bit fed up of water ingress now. Will get dealer to sort this too…

Back