Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaky roof....

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Evening everyone.

Just back home from an awesome week in The Lake District in the Cali, had a great time. Oh boy the Cali is the perfect vehicle for a camping trip there :) but, I digress.

We had a leak this morning from the roof (I think). When I woke up in the van, I opened the rear blind to admire the view, and noticed..a plop! A rain drop fell down! And then another, and then a few more :(

Now, to set the scene, it was raining. Really raining. Biblical, get drenched in a heartbeat, rain so thick you can barely see across the campsite, only seen in The Lakes rain. But, still, I had a leak!!

My first reaction was to smile, simply because every VW camper I've ever owned, had exactly the same leak from the same place! It reminded me of many happy memories in previous vans. But, they were all very old, and very cranky vans, so were allowed a leak or two. Mr Blu on the other hand, is a mere babe at not even 6 months old!

So, the roof was up, and all was dry ‘up-top’. It was literally a drip, and once the rain subsided a bit, it did stop. No more water than would dampen a hanky to be honest. But... a leak none the less.

I’m guessing that the roof being up means the leak is coming through the opening seal somewhere, rather than the tailgate.

Anyone else experienced this? Any tips as to how I can seal it?

Thanks all :thumb

Evening everyone.

Just back home from an awesome week in The Lake District in the Cali, had a great time. Oh boy the Cali is the perfect vehicle for a camping trip there :) but, I digress.

We had a leak this morning from the roof (I think). When I woke up in the van, I opened the rear blind to admire the view, and noticed..a plop! A rain drop fell down! And then another, and then a few more :(

Now, to set the scene, it was raining. Really raining. Biblical, get drenched in a heartbeat, rain so thick you can barely see across the campsite, only seen in The Lakes rain. But, still, I had a leak!!

My first reaction was to smile, simply because every VW camper I've ever owned, had exactly the same leak from the same place! It reminded me of many happy memories in previous vans. But, they were all very old, and very cranky vans, so were allowed a leak or two. Mr Blu on the other hand, is a mere babe at not even 6 months old!

So, the roof was up, and all was dry ‘up-top’. It was literally a drip, and once the rain subsided a bit, it did stop. No more water than would dampen a hanky to be honest. But... a leak none the less.

I’m guessing that the roof being up means the leak is coming through the opening seal somewhere, rather than the tailgate.

Anyone else experienced this? Any tips as to how I can seal it?

Thanks all :thumb
It could have been the tailgate door top seal.
With the roof up a large amount of water will be directed to the rear roof.
Also, the Rear drains from around the roof are directed to the same area.
I would suggest, if nothing else is obvious, to look at the Tailgate Rubber Seal and make sure it contacts the Tailgate when closed. The seal is, I believe, simply pushed on, so pull it out slightly across the top and partway down the side, so that when the Tailgate is closed it pushes against the seal tightly.

Thank you WG!

I was hoping you would see this and have a solution, you are always so helpful and knowledgeable!

I shall have look in the morning when I give Blu his post-holiday super clean and polish, and check/fiddle with the rubber tailgate seal, that certainly seems like a sensible option. I might even get the hosepipe out and get one of the kids to sit in the van and check for any more leaks.

I shall report back tomorrow :thumb Thanks again.

Also check your high level brake light - the covers comes off/loose and leak. Had this on mine with symptoms similar to you. It's a known fault so if so VW should fix no problems

Also check your high level brake light - the covers comes off/loose and leak. Had this on mine with symptoms similar to you. It's a known fault so if so VW should fix no problems

Thanks Bigted, I’ll check that too :thumb

The rear drain holes for the roof that are visible when the rear door is up, might be worth a look. They are just two tubes one slid inside the other, so if someone has tried to clear them too vigorously or they are not a good fit rain water could get in.

From your description I think we had the same thing. Whilst in Wales last week I noticed drops above our head at the top of the rear window blind.

I'm taking the van into Eurovans on Saturday (couple of recall bits to get done and pick up a new deck chair to replace a broken one) & they are going to take a look for me.

leak.jpg

From your description I think we have the same thing. Whilst in Wales last week I noticed drops above our head at the top of the rear window blind - see image.

I'm taking the van into Eurovans on Saturday (couple of recall bits to get done and pick up a new deck chair to replace a broken one) & they are going to take a look for me.

View attachment 24255

There was a Service Replacement for the High Level Brake Lights on the T5.1, had mine done last year.
Not heard of this being a problem on the T6, but worth a look I suppose.

There was a Service Replacement for the High Level Brake Lights on the T5.1, had mine done last year.
Service replacement on High Level brake Light- was it chargeable? or under warranty? ours was never flush from day one but no leaks!

Service replacement on High Level brake Light- was it chargeable? or under warranty? ours was never flush from day one but no leaks!
Warranty. Mine is a 2014.

I had the same situation with water leaking on the top of the tailgate and the problem increased with bikes mounted ("pulling" the tailgate off the body for few micrometers, I suppose).
The tailgate hinges are adjustable to finel tune the distance between the tailgate and body. My service shop just screwed-up it and made this gap smaller and mounting additional pressure on the seal.
This solved the problem.

Took van to Eurovans.... they checked the van & advised that our leak is the brake light and so they'll change this the next time the van is in under warranty (they didn't have one in stock).

That's 2 high level lights reported as faulty on the T6 in a couple of days. Seems VW have not fully fixed the design problem.

Well I took WG’s advice and pulled the tailgate rubber seal away from the bodywork VERY slightly so that the tailgate sits on it more tightly when closed. All the drain holes have been cleaned and appear free from any debris.

Got the kids to hose it down thoroughly with the roof up and so far, no leaks and all seems well.

The high level light seems secure enough, although I do have a rear spoiler fitted which may offer some protection from the rain.

So, we shall see. The acid test will obviously be camping in a downpour, as much as I’m keen to see if the leak returns, I’d rather camp in the dry :) !!

Thanks to everyone for you advice :thumb

So last night the rain was torrential, but I don’t expect this when I wake up and open the tail gate...

F5F77B57-EAB1-4DF3-83B2-7F8290AB3048.jpeg
A77CFB66-1A59-44A7-B1FF-00C2131A5073.jpeg
...so having calmed down a bit I’ve hit the forum and it might be:

(a) leaking brake light
(b) blocked drain holes
(c) incorrectly seated roof seals
(d) something else?!?

Before I take the van to the local dealer, is this the symptom of a leaking tailgate light or something more sinister?

Leak from the 3th breaklight usual is most likely to be seen in the storage where the campingchairs are ....wet/damp inside the pocket.
If the leak is inside , i should inspect the reardoorseal .

Try sealing the brake light with masking tape then giving the rear door a good soaking.

So the wind and rain hasn’t really stopped all weekend, but in the one dry spell on Saturday I gave the tailgate gasket a good clean and made sure the drain holes were clear.

I can’t say the design of the tailgate is that good, with that wide channel running the length of the van encouraging water build up, unlike a car tailgate when the gaskets tend to be much narrower.

Anyhow, I’ve not had the leak again and I’ll just have to monitor the situation...it will no doubt appear when we go camping later this week :(

So the wind and rain hasn’t really stopped all weekend, but in the one dry spell on Saturday I gave the tailgate gasket a good clean and made sure the drain holes were clear.

I can’t say the design of the tailgate is that good, with that wide channel running the length of the van encouraging water build up, unlike a car tailgate when the gaskets tend to be much narrower.

Anyhow, I’ve not had the leak again and I’ll just have to monitor the situation...it will no doubt appear when we go camping later this week :(

I have the same issue as you. I have a leak as you in the tailgate. Have you finally soved it? Thanks!

I have the same issue as you. I have a leak as you in the tailgate. Have you finally soved it? Thanks!

No, unfortunately I haven’t, but neither has it happened again either.

We’ve had an unusually dry spell in the U.K., but I’m just just back from a wet weekend away and no sign of any leaks.

Keep the post updated if you find a solution.

Back