Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lane Change Assist - 2024 week 3 build date

S

stationmaster

We have a 2024 week 3 build date California Ocean. 150 dsg.

On the configurator it has an option: ' Without lane change assist' - i left this option with no tick.

I assumed i would have a van that had Lane Change Assist. I wanted Lane Change Assist - some do not like this option, but i do.

The van does have Blind Spot Monitoring - orange light at the bottom of each mirror.

Has our van been delivered with a missing option? Can you shed any light on the matter?

Thanks for your help!

We have a 2024 week 3 build date California Ocean. 150 dsg.

On the configurator it has an option: ' Without lane change assist' - i left this option with no tick.

I assumed i would have a van that had Lane Change Assist. I wanted Lane Change Assist - some do not like this option, but i do.

The van does have Blind Spot Monitoring - orange light at the bottom of each mirror.

Has our van been delivered with a missing option? Can you shed any light on the matter?

Thanks for your help!
I believe there should be a sticker in Handbook underside of Dashboard or Drivers seat with the build options. Otherwise @calikev , forum admin, might be able to answer you query based on vehicle VIN number. PM him, if you are a VIP Member.

Thanks, really helpful. re. build options sticker.

Maybe i have got things confused?

From what i can judge:

Lane Change Assist = orange light on bottom of each mirror (present on van and present on configurator)

Lane Assist = gives a warning via the steering wheel to tell you to keep in lane (not present on van and NOT present on configurator)

I have active lane assist on my MY 23 Cali, its ok but not as good (forceful) as other vehicles I have owned with this function, have you checked settings as may need to be turned on.

Looking back at my configuration active lane assist was an option and I purchased it as part of the driver assistance package plus. This option no longer looks to be available, suspect due to semi conductor supply issues, suggest you check back at your original order and brochure / price list that was current when you ordered on what was standard equipment as VW do change from time to time.

Thanks, really helpful. re. build options sticker.

Maybe i have got things confused?

From what i can judge:

Lane Change Assist = orange light on bottom of each mirror (present on van and present on configurator)

Lane Assist = gives a warning via the steering wheel to tell you to keep in lane (not present on van and NOT present on configurator)
You are correct, lane change assist / side assist is the flashing lights on the door mirrors, which warn of vehicles in your blind spot & those approaching in the lane you have signalled to go into.

As far as I know, these are the 3 options that were available. Which one shows up on your order invoice?
Z0V - Lane change system Side Assist
Z0W - Lane keeping system Lane Assist
Z0X - Lane change system Side Assist including Lane keeping system Lane Assist

I too have a brand new Ocean and very disappointed not to have active lane assist. The dealer is as surprised as I am but have logged it with VW but so far no response. They provided details of the spec as per attached. Very misleading if they never intended on supplying it!

IMG_0751.jpeg

“Lane assist with side assist” is standard on the Ocean in the U.K. according to VW’s own website: https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/new-vehicles/california.html

And on that same page, lane assist is described as “Lane Assist countersteers the vehicle if the driver unintentionally drifts from a lane. The system also emits audible and visual warnings via the multi-function display to alert the driver of danger.”.

Unless either that changed since you placed your order or you picked an option that removed lane assist, it would seem that VW forgot to add this to your van. In my case, they forgot to include adaptive cruise control and I’ve been chasing compensation for 2 years now to no avail yet (but won’t give up).

Do you have a copy of the configuration you ordered from the VW configurator? Because that will tell you for sure whether lane assist was part of your config.

Lane change assist is standard. Lane keeping is not. They’re often confused. Here are extracts from the handbook to explain.

IMG_7139.jpeg

IMG_7138.jpeg

Last edited:
Active Lane Assist with Side Assist was an extra cost option in the 2022 California brochure but isn’t in the 2023 brochure as an option. Seem to recall a parts supply issue post-Covid led to it getting discontinued. This is the cost in 2022 :-

IMG_0883.jpeg

The option was dropped in 2023, possibly due to the semiconductor issue. To be honest, the Lane Keeping System is a bit of a pain. Our Volvo does it much better.

As far as I can tell from @stationmaster’s posts, what they’re after is lane assist (the feature that beeps and vibrates the steering wheel - also confusingly called “lane keeping”, as shown in the picture of the handbook someone posted above, even though it doesn’t keep you in the lane at all). That’s definitely standard on the Ocean.

*Active* lane assist - the feature that steers automatically for you - isn’t standard. But that doesn’t seem to what @stationmaster was after.

I too have a brand new Ocean and very disappointed not to have active lane assist. The dealer is as surprised as I am but have logged it with VW but so far no response. They provided details of the spec as per attached. Very misleading if they never intended on supplying it!

View attachment 123315
Use to be an option, but not currently offered, see my earlier post, I have it but was part of an option pack.

On the configurator (when i ordered) - there was an option to delete the option, i did not delete it. So it should have been fitted.
I have the orange light on the wing mirrors but do not have the vibrate though the steering wheel.
May be annoying for some owners, but i wanted it.

I picked up mine in Feb and was disappointed not to have that too. Please let us know if/when you get a response from VW.

I picked up mine in Feb and was disappointed not to have that too. Please let us know if/when you get a response from VW.
It hasn’t been an option since the MY2022 Ocean. It was dropped from the commentary and options list in the MY 2023 and 2024 California Catalogue. When we were looking to order back in 2022 I seem to recall some chatter around production delays with those models that had it specified as an option.

On the configurator (when i ordered) - there was an option to delete the option, i did not delete it. So it should have been fitted.
I have the orange light on the wing mirrors but do not have the vibrate though the steering wheel.
I recall seeing posts last year about the option to delete Side Assist, which was a potential build delay (semiconductors).

It hasn’t been an option since the MY2022 Ocean. It was dropped from the commentary and options list in the MY 2023 and 2024 California Catalogue. When we were looking to order back in 2022 I seem to recall some chatter around production delays with those models that had it specified as an option.
It was available on some MY2023 - thats what I have & its fitted as well as a none leaking dual skin roof canvas.
It does have steering intervention ie a tug on the steering wheel as well as the vibration warning, you can either turn both off or just the vibration off.
I leave them both off as I found the whole system annoying.

I do however turn it on when doing long/ late night trips or where there is a higher risk of drowsiness.

These are the system setting screens in the van:
IMG_3045.jpegIMG_3044.jpegIMG_3043.jpeg

I have Lane assist which apparently keeps you in middle lane, but don't worry if you don't have it... it is **** :p ... as a comparison i had it on my Audi S5 and it is night and day compared to the VW one.

I have both on my mid 2022 Ocean. I like the side assist - blind spot, very useful but the lab=ne assist is a real pane when not on dual carriageway; country roads annoy it I've found so far!! PArk assist is cool

I don't understand whether you paid for it or not; if yes then you should obviously get some compensation.

As to many owners finding it annoying, I don't think it's an accurate characterisation. Many owners (like me) find that it doesn't work as it should and that's where the annoyance is coming from. The system doesn't understand curves and tunnels. The camera's perceives them as a narrow road and places the centre of the road off to the right or left of where it actually is. To avoid the system "correcting" you, you need to get ahead of it and steer towards the inside of the curve. Who needs that stress?

Hi, in my opinion lane assist in T6.1 is very disappointing. Therfore, I've bought Comma 3x Openpilot (using sunnypilot fork). Of course it has some limitations due to car's inbuild restrictions like min 50 km/h and max curve angle relative to the speed but still it's night and day as it comes to driving on highways.

Back