Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping upstairs and downstairs at similar temperatures

I actually made something very similar to the system on the German board last winter. I had been meaning to post it on here but forgot all about it until I saw this.

We found that when we were skiing in Scotland, in order to get a nice temperature for the kids upstairs, we were dripping in sweat downstairs! Conversely, if the temperature was OK for us, the kids were freezing. There is a huge temperature differential between the top and bottom, even with the thermal topper that we had on.

Anyway, here are some pics that I have retrieved from my phone. If anyone wants more details, let me know. It actually works incredibly well, despite it looking a little Heath Robinson.

20160322_113523.jpg 20160322_113535.jpg 20160322_113600.jpg 20160322_113615.jpg 20160322_113644.jpg

20160322_120110.jpg

I am sure can achieve a good result with way shorter tube. Need to just direct the flow in direction of a windshield, the physics will do the rest by trapping hot air in a tent.

It's a shame VW did not bother putting a canal up in behind the pilar trim ....
That should be doable imo.
Yes, it would have been quite easy to design in a really neat solution. This is a bit of a bodge but it works!

I am sure can achieve a good result with way shorter tube. Need to just direct the flow in direction of a windshield, the physics will do the rest by trapping hot air in a tent.
I haven't experimented with different length tubes but it would be quite easy to do as the tube obviously extends/compresses to a wide variety of lengths. I think where I've got it though is probably the least intrusive position and it gets it warm very quickly upstairs.

I actually made something very similar to the system on the German board last winter. I had been meaning to post it on here but forgot all about it until I saw this.

We found that when we were skiing in Scotland, in order to get a nice temperature for the kids upstairs, we were dripping in sweat downstairs! Conversely, if the temperature was OK for us, the kids were freezing. There is a huge temperature differential between the top and bottom, even with the thermal topper that we had on.

Anyway, here are some pics that I have retrieved from my phone. If anyone wants more details, let me know. It actually works incredibly well, despite it looking a little Heath Robinson.

View attachment 17453 View attachment 17454 View attachment 17455 View attachment 17456 View attachment 17457

View attachment 17458
Thank you for posting this. Do you have a link or description for the parts please? I’d like to put something like it together. All the best.

Thank you for posting this. Do you have a link or description for the parts please? I’d like to put something like it together. All the best.
I made basically the same setup using a tumble dryer vent tube and a few cable ties. Pop the cover out of the door pillar, cable tie the end of the vent pipe to one side of the vent cover and push it back into position in the door pillar finally extend the pipe up tho the top and cable tie to the eyes which the safety net connect too. Make sure you have something to cut the ties so you can dismantle everything.

It worked well.

I ended doing the same too. Tumble dryer tube from Argos and reusable cable ties which can be left in the vent grills throughout winter

View attachment 17453 View attachment 17454 View attachment 17455 View attachment 17456 View attachment 17457

View attachment 17458

Markh,

Wondered if you could advise where you got your back vent hose from, struggling to find it in anything else other than black. Thanks

Back