Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping upstairs and downstairs at similar temperatures

Stuart

Stuart

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
At the weekend there the temperature dropped to -2 in the night, which was great as we finally got to use the heater :)

However downstairs was much much hotter than upstairs. Do I just need a calitopper (or other brand) to stop all the heat escaping? Does anyone have any other tips for keeping them at similar temperatures?

I've got a vague memory of seeing a post from someone who had made a pipe to route heat from the heater vent directly upstairs but maybe that was a dream :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's not easy but we use a Pucer roof screen in cold weather it is a foil type insulation wrap for the outside of the pop up roof. The roof itself is probably a huge heat sink in cold weather. It would be interesting to see the Cali in cold weather with a thermal imaging camera. So although heat rises from downstairs it's never going to be equal. We use duvets and have not had a problem being too cold upstairs but the pillows often feel quite chilly, whilst downstairs is cozy.

At the weekend there the temperature dropped to -2 in the night, which was great as we finally got to use the heater :)

However downstairs was much much hotter than upstairs. Do I just need a calitopper (or other brand) to stop all the heat escaping? Does anyone have any other tips for keeping them at similar temperatures?

I've got a vague memory of seeing a post from someone who had made a pipe to route heat from the heater vent directly upstairs but maybe that was a dream :)

Thanks!
Not a heat pipe but I did post about similar problems after my first dog agility competition where the poor dogs had a sauna downstairs and I was shovering up top. On that occasion as I arrived late I hadn't bothered to swivel the seats and think that was a factor in stopping the heat flowing 'upstairs'. Even with a liner and external topper I still notice a difference in temp upstairs and downstairs - but less so.

I was thinking the same about the thermal imaging camera. During the night if I stuck my head over the edge I could feel the heat rising past, but none of it seemed to come in to the sleeping area!

Reactions: ASM

Thanks!
The heater vent blows directly into the lower compartment and if someone is sleeping upstairs then with the bed down most of the hot air will be trapped downstairs with only the much smaller front hatch allowing communication.
Extra insulation will help.
External Topper - Insulation + Keeps Canvas dry

Internal Topper - Insulation only.

I have seen a small Electric fan used to blow air from downstairs to the upper compartment. The user swore that it was very effective. It was mains powered though.

I have seen a small Electric fan used to blow air from downstairs to the upper compartment. The user swore that it was very effective. It was mains powered though.

I wondered about that but then surely you might as well just plug in a fan heater for upstairs.

As I suspected I probably just need to buy an internal / external topper. Or both!

I wondered about that but then surely you might as well just plug in a fan heater for upstairs.

As I suspected I probably just need to buy an internal / external topper. Or both!
Aah, but the fan can also be used in summer.
I don't think I would fancy having a fan heater upstairs. Where could you safely put it?

Last edited:
We use USB fans in the summer to keep cool so perhaps they might work to get warm air down towards the end of the top bed. I just put on some socks.

If you were using a lot in the cold you could get an electric blanket. They are low wattage and would even work on the inverter.

I have the same issue despite a Vanorak, I definitely read a post about someone using a length of tumble dryer vent hose to funnel some air into the roof area, if anyone has any pictures etc of the mod, I'd love to see them

That's about up to my DIY level

Mike

I think you just need a cap or cover for the air outlet that changes the airflow more in the front direction towarts the cabin the heat would be going more up in the pop-up roof
Also a solution to help downsize the condens on the front windshield(inside)

Such a cap is been on my mind for a while , was sitting in the Cali one evening wondering how to make the themp. less warm below and warmer in the top
Got the dog sleeping below and always a bit worried she get's it to hot with the heater on during the night

The tube as shown above is a bit unhandy when climbing up/down i think , plus the outlet would be right beside your head while sleeping

Last edited:
We use USB fans in the summer to keep cool so perhaps they might work to get warm air down towards the end of the top bed.

This would be my preference, but I'm guessing the USB slots on the dash run off the engine battery rather than the leisure batteries, so there's a small chance of running the battery down over a number of days.

If you were using a lot in the cold you could get an electric blanket. They are low wattage and would even work on the inverter.

Have found that electric blankets only go so far in really cold weather. Boiling underneath, freezing on top (especially the end of my nose!).

Best bet for me is a decent down sleeping bag with a full hood. Bit restrictive but heat isn't an issue.

It is just a flaw of Cali engineering. There is no easy way to get same temperatures or warmer upstairs.
We have a very nice solution for a hook up with a small silent ecomat-2000 heater still standing downstairs on our table but directed to a windshield. This way warm air circulates nicely.
Directing hot air into the tent is kind of a bad idea.

It is just a flaw of Cali engineering. There is no easy way to get same temperatures or warmer upstairs.
We have a very nice solution for a hook up with a small silent ecomat-2000 heater still standing downstairs on our table but directed to a windshield. This way warm air circulates nicely.
Directing hot air into the tent is kind of a bad idea.

Thats the idea i had with detouring the hot air in front ....
I also got a Ecomat to use on hook-up and think it's ace...

I have noticed five things that make a great difference for us, in heating the "bedroom" when it is cold.

1. Blind the windows not used
2. Swivel the seat next to the heater, so the air gets better flow.
3. Mount the topper when you pop the roof
4. Keep the roof (matress) up, just until you go to bed. When you pull it down, warm air will be routed up.
5. Keep the blankets down. They get cold when pressed against the roof (when the bed is up).

And when really cold, we have a large woolen blanket to put over us, while sleeping ;-)

We have the Brandrup gortex internal liner fitted and it makes all the difference.

Same with the Cali Cozi. When we tested the original out in the Lakes in Feb last year we were amazed at how much difference it made. Better than a topper which still has a large gap between the canvas and the topper material which allows the air to circulate and cool down.
We normally sleep upstairs and find that with a small ammount of heat downstairs it's just right up top.

This would be my preference, but I'm guessing the USB slots on the dash run off the engine battery rather than the leisure batteries, so there's a small chance of running the battery down over a number of days.
The one on top of the dash should be from the leisure battery, the cupholder/lower one will be engine.

The one on top of the dash should be from the leisure battery, the cupholder/lower one will be engine.
Thanks, that's very useful info. Not sure how to test it (when the van arrives) as I don't know what draw the USB socket will support. Guess I could stick a 2A phone charger on and then measure the leisure circuit using a multimeter. Electrics not my strong point!

If you live near a Wilkinson's they do small USB fans for about 5 quid, pretty good.

Ive got a Cali cozy and a mutze so in theory should be toasty upstairs, but it's always colder up there.
If we have hook up we have an electric oil filled rad that sits between the seats so warm air wafts up to us without slow roasting the kids below. A good thermal windscreen cover helps too (comfortz is excellent). But if it's really cold break out the woolly hat and some good merino wool pj's!

Back