Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just about to order...

K

knighty

Hi all, we're just about to place an order for our new Cali tomorrow and are very excited about it all.

We've just sold our '63 Samba to help fund the purchase as need a "proper family car" these days, but looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to being involved on the forum, definitely a good way to find out what's going on and for getting loads of advice.

Cheers
Steve

Just trying to decide on the final spec tonight so that we can put the order in tomorrow.

At the moment we're going for:
140 SE in night blue
Cruise control
Park assist
Awning
Bluetooth
Privacy glass

Just trying to decide if we should go for the iPod hook up, is it just a cable with the connectivity already in place, or do you have to pay for the whole connection?

Also trying to work out whether to get the tow bar (and bike rack), or whether a tailgate holder is best...anyone got any tips?!?

Hi if you are thinking towbar get it fitted now as retrofitting is very expensive :thumb
I have a tailgate bike rack but these can be purchased seperatly
good luck

The tailgate bike rack is easily added as an accessory.

As Kev says towbar is much cheaper from factory.

If I were ordering from factory and not having 4Mo then I would almost certainly add the 5th seat - One of the better priced options IMHO.

If it's the MDI (iPod/USB etc) you are getting I find it very good but it can be retrofitted relatively cheaply and easily.

Thanks guys, yes I was thinking of getting the MDI - makes sense to be able to control the iPod from the stereo!

Tailgate bike rack it is then - not sure I'd ever need a towbar for anything else.

One other thing...Climatronic, is it worth the extra £700, what are the benefits of it??

Cheers!

I was not sure about Climatronic initially but I am glad I have it now, its nice to set the temp you want and forget about it, also if you have people using the rear seats they can independanly control it via their own settings, saying that I am not sure if it is worth £700 and is another thing I feel should be standard

So you've saved a few ££ on the tow bar but been done for Climatronic and a 3rd seat as well as MDI - Nice work :rofl

True that...not quite sure how that worked out! See how tomorrow goes now then!!

Cheers all for your help.

Hi all,

Sorry one more question...we're just trying to decide on colour (down to 3), and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on which hold their value better, look best etc. etc.

I know it's all down to personal choice...but would be good to know what you think. The choices are black, Olympian Blue and Night Blue...

Cheers

Olympian Blue is a lovely colour and was one of my choices but it's a big vehicle and personally I'm not 100% it carries it off.

I googled lots of images when trying to decide.

I had same views as stu .. Really wanted a blue ,but the berghaus only came in 3 colours and wasn't totally convinced with the blk wheels on the blue ,but silver wheels it would look ok :) ....the night blue looks good and would be a contender if I was looking again :)

Hello all!

Joining my hubby (knighty) on the forum:) So excited!!!! It's gonna be a proper family camper as we have a littlen on the way:) Can't wait for all those holidays!

On the colours discussion... Other than the looks, does anyone has any info on how they last/wear? I really quite like deep black but a friend recons it scratches quite badly... Not sure if it's typical for that paint or just an unlucky example? And what they night blue and Olympian blue like for that sort of thing?

Thanks so much!
Lana

Hi lana
Exciting times ahead. I have a silver Cali and that is not showing too many scratches yet
Martin Adams has a black Cali I'm sure he is the man to answer the black colour query.
I would have thought most colours are hard wearing coming from vw :thumb :thumb
It's all down to personal taste it's you that has to live with it :thumb
I didn't choose my colour having said that I'm happy with it.

The paint on VW's tends to be very good but you do still have to take care with it.

I chose silver on the basis that not only is it the best colour, it also seems to be the favourite colour for people that don't want to have to clean their vehicles too often!!

I have a black car and that looks dirty pretty much instantly once cleaned where as the silver van stays clean for ages.

Congratulations on the little one and of course on the slightly bigger one whatever the colour :laugh2

Did you decide on a final spec/colour in the end??

As others have said the paint is pretty robust if looked after but like all cars etc, abuse it and it will show the signs of wear. I think most paints now are water based and they are a little less resilient than they used to be.

We have a <2 year old who comes with us and he loves it. We use the rear boot area as a cot, the downstairs area then gives us a living area to relax and we sleep in the roof - perfect :lol:

We have the child seat on the rear bench and an iPad holder on the drivers headrest so he can watch such delights as Bob the Builder or Gruffalo :rofl

Thanks Stu...looks like it's going to be a pretty big end of the year for us, with 2 rather significant deliveries!! :rofl

We finally put the order in today, went for night blue, 140 SE, privacy, awning, climatronic, bluetooth, cruise, MFSW, park assist and safe...think that's it! Going to get the MDI connection too at some point as want to use iPod in the van - assuming that's the best option? We ordered it through Heritage Bristol who matched the "drive the deal" offer I found, so pretty pleased with that too.

That sounds great about the family camping, to be honest, that's why we decided to push the boat out and get the Cali - so we can use it as a family every-day driver - and then make the most of weekends.

So...just got to sit back and wait now!

Great news. Good choice on the colour too I think :thumb

As I said above I really do think the extra seat is a good idea for a £300 price tag. Apart from the seats selling for more than that on eBay if you didn't want to keep it, you cannot easily retrofit the 3rd rail required for the seat. The Cali is only a 4 seater and certainly a restriction we have encountered is on a day out we'd like to take the Grand Parents with us in the bus but with the child seat in one position it only leaves one spare seat - not enough. The Cali is great for days out as you can do food and refreshments etc.

If you can stretch to it I really would add it.

I would also suggest you investigate the seat covers from Inka as they will protect your nice new seats. There is a nice discount in the VIP section. :thumb

You twisted my arm Stu...just added the extra seat. That's it now, can't afford to go adding anything else. :D Will look into the covers once we've picked it up, maybe a Xmas present.

Hi Martin, not 100% sure about delivery yet, been quoted up to 16 weeks, so hopefull early / mid Dec.

knighty said:
You twisted my arm Stu...just added the extra seat. That's it now, can't afford to go adding anything else. :D

Ahh someone else on these -

tesco_value_baked_beans.jpg

Hey guys,

Thank you all so much for your responses, it was a great help!

Really chuffed with the spec and the colour we ordered. Very excited about getting it now and all the happy times ahead!!!!

Lana + Steve + the bump

:hello

Lana,

You'll love it. We've only had ours for a few months but we've managed quite a fair bit of time away in it. Our little boy loves it, he really enjoys being so high up and being able to see out of the windows an all around him.

Depending on his mood it can be 'Daddy's Bus', 'Mummy & Daddy's Bus' or even "Karl's Bus" :laugh2

I mentioned using the rear section for the bed/cot. Each of the windows has it's own blind so you can settle the little one in almost darkness and still have lights on up front for yourselves. We have a protective under sheet which we bought when we got his cot that goes over the rear mattress under his sheet (again a standard cot one) and more recently we bought the Inka rear mattress cover which is now on underneath everything else - Just in case of spillages. :D

Hi knighty, and congratulations on your order being placed :barmy

We are looking at placing an order very soon, I just wondered if you paid the £35 to print your quote off from "drive the deal" or just went into the bristol branch and stated your case ? I will be part exchanging my car so not sure if that my be and issue with price matching.

Cheers
steve

Hi Steve,

We just did a screen-grab from the drive the deal website and sent that across to the dealer - that was enough for their request for a written quote so they could match.

Didn't spend the £35 to print it out.