Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's finally happened!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
:headbang For more than three years I've been parking our Cali outside our grandchildren's primary school whilst I both drop off and pick them up. In all of that time I have adopted the best defensive parking position to reduce the risk of dents from other vehicles.

Incidentally, the standards of driving that some of these mums adopt when arriving and leaving is frightening. That's not intended to be a sexist comment. It's just that almost all of those dropping off kids are women and most of them are mums who always seem to be in a screaming hurry.

Today I was parked in a single space where the only way another car could park near was at right angles accross the rear. I had parked well forward in my space just incase someone, parked in the space behind, threw a door open wide. Unfortunately that is just what happened, when a small child smacked the back door of mum's old banger into my pristine tailgate. It shouldn't have been near enough to touch but due to her poor parking it brought it into range. The result is a small dent right on the lower crease line of the tailgate with some paint removed.

I actually saw it happen as I was returning to the vehicle. The mum concerned realised what had happened and grabbed the door to pull it away from the tailgate whilst looking around to see if anyone had noticed. She then got in her car and drove off.

Yes I know, it's one of those annoying but minor things that happens in life and it isn't a big issue in the big scheme of things but the question is what would you do next?

1. Take it on the chin and either except the dent as a permanent feature or have it repaired at your own expense?

2. As in 1 above but let the mum know that you know it was her little darling that had done it and that you had witnessed her behaviour?

Having been in this situation before I see very little to be gained from adopting option 2. On that previous occasion, a seemingly sweet little old granny let rip with a torrent of expletives when I showed her the damage she had just caused to my then brand new Golf, by opening a door into it after having just "parked" half way up a bank! She swore blind that I was just out to get her to pay for damage caused by someone else even though paint from her car was clearly present on mine and her door, when opened, lined up perfectly with the damage.
Also knowing the tight knit circles that these chattering mums move it, I'd probably not be doing myself any favours, especially if things turned nasty.

I suppose this thread is really an excercise in blowing off steam. I'm just more than a tad miffed at having my vehicle damaged. I don't blame the child as school children of this age group often don't have the strength or motor skills to control a car door. However I do blame the mother who parked badly, failed to control her child opening the door and then knowing what her offspring had done, drove off leaving me to either grit my teeth every time I see that dent or fork out for the repairs.

There, rant over.

Last edited:
@Borris - you've not decided you're a Remainer after all?

Trapped the canvas?

Trapped something else? :shockedo_O

forgive my ignorance - what?
What, you may well ask!

Unfortunately, I somehow pressed the go button before having typed anything. A simple case of pilot error I'm afraid.

For details see my previous post.

Sadly a sign of the times and becoming almost a daily occurrence. You have my sympathy as we had a Kombi which was given an almighty dent when a lazy sod pushed an empty shopping trolley and left. Best thing as I would have throttled them.

@Borris - you've not decided you're a Remainer after all?
IMO political preferences have no place on a camper van forum.

Actually, making a brief statement like "It's finally happened" and then not typing anything seems to have hit a rich vain of possibilities. How about another entitled, It's just dropped off or I can't get it up!

There’s no respect for other people’s property.you look after you expensive vehicle unfortunately Some people couldn’t care less

How annoying. If you have a go at her she’ll just think your a fussy old so an so. I would get the dent man to fix it £30 - 50ish, and use a touch up to fill in the missing paint. Or maybe you could put a VWCC sticker over it?

I would literally have had steam coming out of my ears, especially as she knew full well what happened. But I think you're right, if you say anything you'll probably end up being the one who suffers the consequences of the "tight knit mums". Being a school Mum myself I know all about the cliques of the playground but that's another thread!!!

Get it fixed (Smart repair?) or otherwise you'll forever be looking at it and your blood will begin to boil again (or is that just me? Anyway it will remind you so get it fixed!)

Sorry to hear that Borris, it must be gutting.

I had typed a long response, regarding a recent situation I had, but deleted it before posting, because nothing I or anyone else says can make you feel better or make it right or take away the raft of emotions your probably going through,

I feel your pain and sympathise. :rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:punch:punch:punch:Iamsorry

Years ago while in Cornwall someone doored our brand new t4 camper.while the kids where in the van my teenage daughter was devastated to have to tell us what she just witnessed,,,then a few years later new van parked at a well known diy store someone blatantly doored our new camper really badly as you said leaving paint on there door edge,...this time I seen my arse
For this reason this makes me really angry so I feel your pain .and don’t do carparks anymore I totally lost the faith

Sorry to hear that Borris, it must be gutting.

I had typed a long response, regarding a recent situation I had, but deleted it before posting, because nothing I or anyone else says can make you feel better or make it right or take away the raft of emotions your probably going through,

I feel your pain and sympathise. :rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:rage:punch:punch:punch:Iamsorry
Thanks Perfectos,
It's only a dent. As for emotions, the only one I'm experiencing is frustration at not being able to put a dent in her bank balance.

If it’s possible to have a quiet word with her I reckon you should. If she chooses to make a scene that’s her problem and you can then walk away.

Mike

Sorry to hear Borris!
Great to hear how cool you reacted. Hope she finds minute to apologize next time when you see her.

Back