Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alexa, artificial intelligence or an infuriating, nosey, tittle tattling air head?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Some time ago, our eldest son and daughter in law bought us one of those Alexa speaker things which is now installed in our kitchen. I mustn't mention her name or her ears will prick up. Mrs B uses Alexa mainly to play music, only if it's something Alexa knows which is all too infrequent. Our grandchildren often ask her questions, most of which she doesn't usually have the foggiest idea about. She often answers questions by giving you some completely unrelated fact leading you to believe that she is either hard or hearing or trying to do that politician thing of deflecting by answering a completely different question. Mind you she is excellent at ear wigging and posting stuff on the internet that you have been discussing within her earshot. You only have to mention that you need a left handed wangle grommet for an oojamaflip and up come a whole load of adverts on t'internet. Apart from that she appears to be almost completely clueless.

So she is nosey, speaks out of turn, is always listening, knows lots about stuff you didn't want or need to know and doesn't mind telling you either. She is also evasive and can be huffy if you don't talk to her nicely. Oh and BTW, as our grandchildren discovered, she also appears to have a formidable repertoire of farts. She doesn't sound like the sort of girl to introduce to your parents!

If she represents artificial intelligence then we may be in trouble.

Last edited:
The spy in the camp. I'm surprised that you are prepared to sacrifice your privacy by entertaining such a device in your home.
I read an American story about a guy who had something similar in his car and denied speeding when he was stopped by the police. The policeman asked the device what speed the car had been travelling at and it told him.

The spy in the camp. I'm surprised that you are prepared to sacrifice your privacy by entertaining such a device in your home.
I read an American story about a guy who had something similar in his car and denied speeding when he was stopped by the police. The policeman asked the device what speed the car had been travelling at and it told him.
What a Judas!!

Believe you me if it was down to yours truly, Alexa would have been sent skidding down the road on her @r$€ a long time ago. It's a little sensitive when she was a present though! :thumb

Some time ago, our eldest son and daughter in law bought us one of those Alexa speaker things which is now installed in our kitchen. I mustn't mention her name or her ears will prick up. Mrs B uses Alexa mainly to play music, only if it's something Alexa knows which is all too infrequent. Our grandchildren often ask her questions, most of which she doesn't usually have the foggiest idea about. She often answers questions by giving you some completely unrelated fact leading you to believe that she is either hard or hearing or trying to do that politician thing of deflecting by answering a completely different question. Mind you she is excellent at ear wigging and posting stuff on the internet that you have been discussing within her earshot. You only have to mention that you need a left handed wangle grommet for an oojamaflip and up come a whole load of adverts on t'internet. Apart from that she appears to be almost completely clueless.

So she is nosey, speaks out of turn, is always listening, knows lots about stuff you didn't want or need to know and doesn't mind telling you either. She is also evasive and can be huffy if you don't talk to her nicely. Oh and BTW, as our grandchildren discovered, she also appears to have a formidable repertoire of farts. She doesn't sound like the sort of girl to introduce to your parents!

If she represents artificial intelligence then we may be in trouble.
Have you tried whispering to the betrayer?

Don't forget you can always see just how much interaction you have with Alexa by listening to the recordings of everything you've ever said to it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GHXNJNLTRWCTBBGW

If you don't like the results then Q6 here tells you how to delete the recordings: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201602230
Thanks haydnw2,
I'll lull her into a false sense of security tomorrow and then swiftly erase her memory. :thumb We don't have anything to hide but I've never liked the thing or the concept from the outset.

Back