Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's finally arrived!!!

So from ordering in September last year, our new family member has finally arrived yesterday with 21 miles on the clock!!
We went for the Ocean 204 4 motion in pearl black with some extras from SMG in Tonbridge.
When I ordered the Cali, I hadn't test driven any demo vehicles so yesterday was my first drive and I was a little nervous.

I have now driven 100 miles and my first impressions are that it's a smooth drive. I had it lowered and it does handle the bumps quite well with very little rattling in the back. MPG is a little worrying especially as I have driven it like Miss Daisy today returning only 30mpg on average over the 100 miles with a mix of 60mph on the motorway and 30-40mph around town.

I haven't quite got used to the width and size of it yet, I have had a number of large 4x4s in the past but this feels much larger and heavier. This is evident when breaking, especially when somebody braked heavily in front of me, I did panic a little that I wouldn't stop in time.

I absolutely love the digital cockpit with its very clear display. The apply car play system on the main display works a dream in town and already know that this is the best feature on the Cali so far!!

It's a comfortable place to be with the captains chairs, high driving position and a sense of it being a cosiness. I can already see what the buzz is all about and how people get attached to their Calis. I keep looking out of the window at it and wanting to go out and have another play with the settings and gadgets.

Anyway, here's some pictures, now I've got to start hunting for the accessories. (hours of fun)!!

View attachment 77064

View attachment 77065

View attachment 77066

View attachment 77067

View attachment 77068
That really works. Looks stunning man !

Looks fab - I too love the whole cosiness & feel when youre driving the Cali - exciting times ahead - enjoy

Congrats, looks great. MPG will improve a bit after a few thousand miles.
Ours started in the low 30's but has come up to nearer 40mpg average now.

Hey SusiBus, thanks, I have to say, with the 4 motion, I didn’t experience any wheel spins at junctions today which was a bonus, although let’s see what it’s like in the wet. I just don’t want to scratch it on the bushes but equally can’t quite feel the width yet when other cars are coming towards me. I’m sure another couple of days time and I’ll get used to it and it will be like I haven’t driven anything else.
You have more room than you think as your wing mirrors sit higher than most other cars. Just be cautious on narrow lanes when it’s another van coming towards you with similar height mirrors!

So from ordering in September last year, our new family member has finally arrived yesterday with 21 miles on the clock!!
We went for the Ocean 204 4 motion in pearl black with some extras from SMG in Tonbridge.
When I ordered the Cali, I hadn't test driven any demo vehicles so yesterday was my first drive and I was a little nervous.

I have now driven 100 miles and my first impressions are that it's a smooth drive. I had it lowered and it does handle the bumps quite well with very little rattling in the back. MPG is a little worrying especially as I have driven it like Miss Daisy today returning only 30mpg on average over the 100 miles with a mix of 60mph on the motorway and 30-40mph around town.

I haven't quite got used to the width and size of it yet, I have had a number of large 4x4s in the past but this feels much larger and heavier. This is evident when breaking, especially when somebody braked heavily in front of me, I did panic a little that I wouldn't stop in time.

I absolutely love the digital cockpit with its very clear display. The apply car play system on the main display works a dream in town and already know that this is the best feature on the Cali so far!!

It's a comfortable place to be with the captains chairs, high driving position and a sense of it being a cosiness. I can already see what the buzz is all about and how people get attached to their Calis. I keep looking out of the window at it and wanting to go out and have another play with the settings and gadgets.

Anyway, here's some pictures, now I've got to start hunting for the accessories. (hours of fun)!!

View attachment 77064

View attachment 77065

View attachment 77066

View attachment 77067

View attachment 77068
AWESOMMMMMME!!!!! you have EXACTLY my setup which is on order even down to the bike rack and wheels so thank you so much for posting i will just stare for 5 mins hope you dont mind lol , dead chuffed for you !!!!

Last edited:

View attachment 77064

View attachment 77065

View attachment 77066

View attachment 77067

View attachment 77068
Do you have a replacement splitter fitted?

My 150 Ocean will only do 30 - 32 MPG fully loaded so I can't see you getting more than 30MPG in a 204.

Wow, that looks stunning! congratulations, perfect timing too!

May I ask, how much is it lowered by, and what is the ride like?

Do you have a replacement splitter fitted?
Hey, yes it was the gloss black one from Leighton Vans, and very reasonably priced too. I didn't want anything too big but I think it gives the overall appearance of the front end of the van being lower in line with the side tubes.

Wow, that looks stunning! congratulations, perfect timing too!

May I ask, how much is it lowered by, and what is the ride like?
Hey Upacs, thank you! I had the dealer lower it by 35mm which is just enough to give it a nicer stance without worrying about speed bumps. I haven't driven a California before, so I don't have a direct comparison to one that hasn't been lowered in terms ride, but I am really happy with it. I have changed the way I drive though compared to my car, I am more chilled as you can't fling these vehicles around.

My 150 Ocean will only do 30 - 32 MPG fully loaded so I can't see you getting more than 30MPG in a 204.
Thanks LRGS253, I have had the Cali three days now and the WeConnect app records your driving history and MPG. I have really changed my driving style, sitting back and relaxing in the captains chair, and not rushing off the lights or sitting in the fast lane on the motorway. I am now averaging 35MPG over the three days and this mornings 45 minute journey getting 36.2mpg. Also really impressed that I can get a range of 600 miles with a full tank. Very handy for those long journeys through to the South of France.

AWESOMMMMMME!!!!! you have EXACTLY my setup which is on order even down to the bike rack and wheels so thank you so much for posting i will just stare for 5 mins hope you dont mind lol , dead chuffed for you !!!!
Hi Jim, Great minds think alike!!! I am really pleased with the overall look, as I'm not a buy racer but also wanted it to look cool. Even my kids said they don't mind being dropped off at school!! When does yours arrive? We will have to park them up side by side one day when the world gets back to normal!!

Thanks LRGS253, I have had the Cali three days now and the WeConnect app records your driving history and MPG. I have really changed my driving style, sitting back and relaxing in the captains chair, and not rushing off the lights or sitting in the fast lane on the motorway. I am now averaging 35MPG over the three days and this mornings 45 minute journey getting 36.2mpg. Also really impressed that I can get a range of 600 miles with a full tank. Very handy for those long journeys through to the South of France.
Do you have the 80L tank?

Hi Jim, Great minds think alike!!! I am really pleased with the overall look, as I'm not a buy racer but also wanted it to look cool. Even my kids said they don't mind being dropped off at school!! When does yours arrive? We will have to park them up side by side one day when the world gets back to normal!!
Dark Ocean sadly all we have so far is the build will be allocated in june , i ordered 20th january so sadly its really frustrating waiting as im a kid at heart, but hey ho when it does arrive i will go nuts lol ,meanwhile i have my new defender to drive round in so all is not too sad but i still cannot wait , you gave me such a boost yesterday seeing all those pics i looked at them so many times lol ,loving the chrome trim it really accentuates on the black doesnt it? Im like you in that i dont want a pimped look, im after stealth and subtlety but at the same time want to make it my own? :) :)

also dark ocean i see you mention south of france ? lol we are strangely alike, my main reason for buying is to travel to south of france every year how odd lol. We love boating on the canal du midi and so we head for a boat but take a slow journey down staying maybe 3 nights at different campsites on way down and enjoy that so much so its slow and leisurely and becomes part of the holiday instead of rushing . we love france sooooo much and had to cancel this years trip because of covid but next year will be a new world i hope !

We've had a T5.1, T6 and T6.1, all big engined 4Motions. The VW Thingy has always told us that we're getting in the low thirties average fuel consumption. I don't drive for economy, but don't go bonkers either. Perhaps it's VW Thingy telling lies to me, as if it would!

You have more room than you think as your wing mirrors sit higher than most other cars. Just be cautious on narrow lanes when it’s another van coming towards you with similar height mirrors!
You're right, you get used to your mirror clearing over the top of car mirrors, then all of a sudden you realise it's a van that's coming the other way, mild panic. I dread to think how much the cost of replacing a mirror is, especially if it's got Lane Assist, or on the T 5.1, I think the aerial was inside the mirror.

You're right, you get used to your mirror clearing over the top of car mirrors, then all of a sudden you realise it's a van that's coming the other way, mild panic. I dread to think how much the cost of replacing a mirror is, especially if it's got Lane Assist, or on the T 5.1, I think the aerial was inside the mirror.
Yep, mine smacking into a van coming the other way, some scratches on the mirror cover but survived intact! :-/

You learn how to hit the fold button pretty quickly!