Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

International Travel 2021.

I agree but it shouldn’t be allowed, everyone has put up with the hardship and lockdowns and it’s the younger people who have struggled more in these times not the older generations who already have their house/pensions, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not too sure it's the younger people who have struggled more.

Dying is a pretty big struggle and it's the older generations who have been doing most of that.

I also know many of the "younger people" who would say the biggest struggle has been not being able to say goodbye to parents, grandparents, much loved uncles and aunties etc as they have died alone in hospital.

While I wouldn't want to get into too many generalisations about who's suffered worst, I have been really struck since the vaccinations started by the number of people (mostly oldies of course but also some younger with health issues) who've been saying they literally haven't been outside their front doors for nearly a year. You could do GBH and end up spending less time inside.

If anyone, young or old, is really hacked off at not having been able to go on holiday I'd be inviting them to reflect that no matter how hard you think your life is, it’s someone else’s fairytale (Wale Ayeni).

Still, looking forward to getting jabbed and to being let out to play.

While I wouldn't want to get into too many generalisations about who's suffered worst, I have been really struck since the vaccinations started by the number of people (mostly oldies of course but also some younger with health issues) who've been saying they literally haven't been outside their front doors for nearly a year. You could do GBH and end up spending less time inside.

If anyone, young or old, is really hacked off at not having been able to go on holiday I'd be inviting them to reflect that no matter how hard you think your life is, it’s someone else’s fairytale (Wale Ayeni).

Still, looking forward to getting jabbed and to being let out to play.

i've been jabbed for three weeks now and even if allowed would still not go out to play until assured that I was not a transmission risk, but then I'm a lucky one, sharing my life with my very best friend and with open space and fresh air all around me.

I am now on the phone weekly or more to my cousin who lives in a small flat in London and before Christmas was nearly calling the Samaritans, except she has her own "in-house" model to call. Her mental health is in the gutter and if this goes on much longer I will be seriously concerned about her recovery.

As @Bellcrew and others have said in this thread, once pressure is off the NHS and the most likely to pop it are vaccinated then we must start moving towards living with the virus rather than sheltering from it. Given that around 10% at least have post viral infection antibodies and another 25% are vaccinated we must be getting close to the magic number for herd immunity to start kicking in.

As @Bellcrew and others have said in this thread, once pressure is off the NHS and the most likely to pop it are vaccinated then we must start moving towards living with the virus rather than sheltering from it. Given that around 10% at least have post viral infection antibodies and another 25% are vaccinated we must be getting close to the magic number for herd immunity to start kicking in.
We just got round to watching Contagion, some months behind Matt Hancock (yet another on the list of things you couldn't have made up!). Apparently we're all going to get a little blue microchipped vaccination wrist band, a bit like Glasto really and maybe Bill Gates will get to make them too.

I'm not actually making any assumptions but based on the levels of immunity building up as you say - vaccination of UK adults will I think be done by late May - and the fact that as we saw last year the CV like most respiratory viruses dislikes the summer months I'm optimistic about the summer's prospects for jolly japes. Just staying flexible, which we're lucky enough to be able to do.

I'm by no means ruling out continental Europe, we have a possible (non-Cali) motorsports fixture in July in northern Spain and who knows it might yet happen.

On the telly this morning the fronted-up minister was carefully not ruling out an extended school summer term. Unfortunately for parents that'll squeeze their holiday dates, making those dates to avoid for the rest of us.

We just got round to watching Contagion, some months behind Matt Hancock (yet another on the list of things you couldn't have made up!). Apparently we're all going to get a little blue microchipped vaccination wrist band, a bit like Glasto really and maybe Bill Gates will get to make them too.

Hopefully the wristbands will not be made in the same factory that he makes the virus in! That would be a conflict of interest, surely? :shocked

We have mentally written off 2021 as far as holidays are concerned.

After lockdown we are more than happy just to have some normality and catch up with family and friends. So any travel would be based on doing that.

Priority is getting to New York to see our youngest.

Mike
Similar thoughts for me too. New York high on my list to see my daughter

Unless things change drastically, I’ve now definitely abandoned any hope of going to France this year. Even though it’s allowed, it’s just too much of a pain and too restrictive once there.

From May 17, France will be on the amber list, meaning that those who choose to travel to France will have to quarantine upon their return to the UK.
If you do travel to an amber listed country, you must self-isolate for 10 days, unless you receive a negative result from a test taken at least five days after arrival.
You’ll also have to take a pre-departure test, plus Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests on both day two and day eight of your arrival in the UK.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has said that leisure travel to amber countries isn’t recommended.
Should you indeed travel to France, you must make sure your insurance covers you in case the Covid status changes or you become ill whilst you are in the country.

Will I need to quarantine on arrival in France?
Travelers arriving in France are currently required to self-isolate for seven days on arrival, and must have a negative test result at the end of their self-isolation period.
While you are in France and out of self-isolation, you will have you will have to adhere to the current lockdown restrictions in place.
This includes a national curfew from 7pm to 6am, while outdoor gatherings of more than six people are not permitted, and wearing face masks in enclosed public spaces and on public transport is compulsory.
In the whole of France, restaurants, bars and cafes remain closed, along with cinemas, theatres, museums and sport venues.

Unless things change drastically, I’ve now definitely abandoned any hope of going to France this year. Even though it’s allowed, it’s just too much of a pain and too restrictive once there.

From May 17, France will be on the amber list, meaning that those who choose to travel to France will have to quarantine upon their return to the UK.
If you do travel to an amber listed country, you must self-isolate for 10 days, unless you receive a negative result from a test taken at least five days after arrival.
You’ll also have to take a pre-departure test, plus Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests on both day two and day eight of your arrival in the UK.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has said that leisure travel to amber countries isn’t recommended.
Should you indeed travel to France, you must make sure your insurance covers you in case the Covid status changes or you become ill whilst you are in the country.

Travelers arriving in France are currently required to self-isolate for seven days on arrival, and must have a negative test result at the end of their self-isolation period.
While you are in France and out of self-isolation, you will have you will have to adhere to the current lockdown restrictions in place.
This includes a national curfew from 7pm to 6am, while outdoor gatherings of more than six people are not permitted, and wearing face masks in enclosed public spaces and on public transport is compulsory.
In the whole of France, restaurants, bars and cafes remain closed, along with cinemas, theatres, museums and sport venues.
All subject to change, colours can be changed at anytime (today’s green could be tomorrow’s Amber etc..).

I don’t see France doing much other than tracking last year’s case rates, with them dropping drastically over summer and peaking in October. I passed through France with self justification papers in June last year and was glad of the van, as hotels were mainly closed, along with everything else. By august it’d opened up enough to do a week in Bordeaux and it was mostly normal. Has that much changed over the last 12 months? New Covid variants I suppose.

Currently France is easing restrictions with intention to remove them on 30th June, subject as always to the prevailing Covid situation.

There is huge commercial pressure to open up the Tourist trade, for obvious income reasons.

Post-lockdown schedule announced

As of yesterday, May 3, while the 7pm curfew still remains, you can travel as far as you wish, for any reason and using any mode of transport, without the need for an official form (attestation).

People are still being asked to work from home (télé-travail) where possible, and gatherings remain limited to six people, as do social distancing and mask-wearing.

Wednesday May 19 is next big date in the deconfinement schedule, mapped out by President Macron last week. This is when non-essential businesses will be allowed to reopen. Restaurants and cafés will be able to serve on terraces, with a maximum of six people per table, while – finally – museums, theatres, cinemas and sport facilities will also reopen (the latter with limits of 800 people indoors and 1,000 outdoors).

The evening curfew will change from 7pm to 9pm.

On June 9, foreign tourists will once more be able to enter France provided they have a certificate of vaccination or a PCR test. The curfew will also be extended to 11pm and restaurants will be allowed to serve indoors – though still with groups at one table and of no more than six people.

June 30 is the final date for your post-lockdown calendar – dependant entirely upon regional health situations, the night-time curfew will be lifted completely. Criteria for this are: if the incidence rate (Covid-19 positive cases per 100,000) exceeds 400; if the incidence rate suddenly surges; or if intensive care units become full up.

Currently France is easing restrictions with intention to remove them on 30th June, subject as always to the prevailing Covid situation.

There is huge commercial pressure to open up the Tourist trade, for obvious income reasons.

Post-lockdown schedule announced

As of yesterday, May 3, while the 7pm curfew still remains, you can travel as far as you wish, for any reason and using any mode of transport, without the need for an official form (attestation).

People are still being asked to work from home (télé-travail) where possible, and gatherings remain limited to six people, as do social distancing and mask-wearing.

Wednesday May 19 is next big date in the deconfinement schedule, mapped out by President Macron last week. This is when non-essential businesses will be allowed to reopen. Restaurants and cafés will be able to serve on terraces, with a maximum of six people per table, while – finally – museums, theatres, cinemas and sport facilities will also reopen (the latter with limits of 800 people indoors and 1,000 outdoors).

The evening curfew will change from 7pm to 9pm.

On June 9, foreign tourists will once more be able to enter France provided they have a certificate of vaccination or a PCR test. The curfew will also be extended to 11pm and restaurants will be allowed to serve indoors – though still with groups at one table and of no more than six people.

June 30 is the final date for your post-lockdown calendar – dependant entirely upon regional health situations, the night-time curfew will be lifted completely. Criteria for this are: if the incidence rate (Covid-19 positive cases per 100,000) exceeds 400; if the incidence rate suddenly surges; or if intensive care units become full up.
Thanks for that BJG, very useful.

All subject to change, colours can be changed at anytime (today’s green could be tomorrow’s Amber etc..).

I think that the colour reviews are tri-weekly. Though I guess any country could be moved to red immediately.

Last edited:
We gave up any thought of travel outside of the UK many months ago and booked UK breaks through to November this year. Not sure I want to give the EU any of my money anyway. We have our eyes on Australia as and when.

Moving to Red from Green would be unlikely as the data flow isn't that quick.
For insurance check out StaySure

I would imagine, if you really need to leave the British Isles this year. The best bet is small island escapes where they have better control of the virus and smaller populations...

I would imagine, if you really need to leave the British Isles this year. The best bet is small island escapes where they have better control of the virus and smaller populations...
Looks like most of the issues are the 10 days self isolation on return that the U.K. has decided on is the biggest limiting factor. We won’t be visiting U.K. this year for that very reason, not only does it add 10 days to the holiday, but the need to find somewhere to stay makes it impossible. Guess it depends on your perspective. Will have to settle for Croatia instead!

Looks like most of the issues are the 10 days self isolation on return that the U.K. has decided on is the biggest limiting factor. We won’t be visiting U.K. this year for that very reason, not only does it add 10 days to the holiday, but the need to find somewhere to stay makes it impossible. Guess it depends on your perspective. Will have to settle for Croatia instead!
I’d love to visit the UK this summer but not going to drag the family through all that. I’d maybe go on my own.

I’d love to visit the UK this summer but not going to drag the family through all that. I’d maybe go on my own.
Talking to friends and family it seems that there is a lot of “fake news” about how the continent is at the moment which is putting people off. Many attractions are open/opening and travel is possible. Yes there are restrictions and limits, but nothing that gets in the way of getting out there.

Having a van you can have lunch in, or sleep in, just makes it so much better. If people are able to do 10 days at home after a trip, no reason why the continent should be out of bounds this summer. Maybe read some foreign language press (via translation) and get an alternative view to the daily blah blah that serves as news.

I remain confident for a late August/Sept/Oct trip to Europe. That confidence knows no bounds as the other day I paid for tickets to Tel Aviv for next Jan. To be honest the rockets were still in their pockets when the purchase was made.

I think you are right to be confident about travel to the EU (not Israel).

I expect most or all of the EU will be on the green list by mid August.

My understanding is that the green list review dates are:
17 May
7 June
28 June
19 July
9 August
30 August

The testing regime is not too onerous for green list:

==QUOTE==

Before travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

-take a COVID-19 test
-book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test
-complete a passenger locator form

On arrival in England

-You must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 after you arrive.

-You do not need to quarantine unless the test result is positive.

-You must follow these rules even if you have been vaccinated.

-You must self-isolate if NHS Test & Trace informs you that you travelled to England with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.

==END QUOTE==

I expect other countries will have in place a similar system, and the process might even be streamlined between the UK and EU. They may even waive the rules for vaccinated people and children under 18 once all over 18s have been offered both jabs.

I think you are right to be confident about travel to the EU (not Israel).

I expect most or all of the EU will be on the green list by mid August.

My understanding is that the green list review dates are:
17 May
7 June
28 June
19 July
9 August
30 August

The testing regime is not too onerous for green list:

==QUOTE==

Before travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

-take a COVID-19 test
-book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test
-complete a passenger locator form

On arrival in England

-You must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 after you arrive.

-You do not need to quarantine unless the test result is positive.

-You must follow these rules even if you have been vaccinated.

-You must self-isolate if NHS Test & Trace informs you that you travelled to England with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.

==END QUOTE==

I expect other countries will have in place a similar system, and the process might even be streamlined between the UK and EU. They may even waive the rules for vaccinated people and children under 18 once all over 18s have been offered both jabs.
To my embarrassment I don’t know how these vaccines work. I understood they lessen your chances of becoming seriously ill but not of catching or spreading the virus?
So I’m not sure why, if travelling to a country without a fully vaccinated population, they wouldn’t insist on a PCR whether or not you are vaccinated yourself. After all, you could still catch and spread the virus.
Time to do some reading up!
(currently vaccinating the 60-69 cohort here so I’ll be waiting months for mine at this rate)

this is certainly the case here already, test on arrival to release from quarantine, exemption if have 2 EU approved jabs etc. The problem most will have is entering France I suspect by ferry or train...

this is certainly the case here already, test on arrival to release from quarantine, exemption if have 2 EU approved jabs etc. The problem most will have is entering France I suspect by ferry or train...
My feeling is that it is our government’s view that it would be unfair to grant an exemption to the vaccinated until everyone has been offered a vaccination. I agree. The young and healthy have made many sacrifices for the elderly and unhealthy, and it is the elderly and unhealthy who are first to be vaccinated.

To my embarrassment I don’t know how these vaccines work. I understood they lessen your chances of becoming seriously ill but not of catching or spreading the virus?
So I’m not sure why, if travelling to a country without a fully vaccinated population, they wouldn’t insist on a PCR whether or not you are vaccinated yourself. After all, you could still catch and spread the virus.
Time to do some reading up!
(currently vaccinating the 60-69 cohort here so I’ll be waiting months for mine at this rate)
The vaccine reduces the likelihood of developing C19, if you do catch it, it reduces symptomatic C19, and if you get symptomatic C19 it reduces the risk of hospitalisation.

Back