Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance

CaliSue

CaliSue

VIP Member
Hi! We have just bought our first Cali and pick it up on Friday, but wondered if anyone can give us any advice with whom to insure it with. We went to our usual insurer and they said they don't insure campervans....we would be grateful of any ideas please??? thanks

Comfort. Excellent service and most competitive quote.

thank you, I'll look into that and get a quote. :D

We just insured and found Admiral to offer the best deal, cost wise. (Full comp,with 9yrs no claims protected,named driver,90 comprhensive Euro cover,)
Thats on a 140 Beach.

Thanks Big Bloke....I'll have a look at that too....all these choices!!!

LV did me a good deal, but I have mine and wife's car with them also

I've just renewed with LV. Good deal and really, excellent service.

Have another car with them on the same renewal date, so also makes sense for us.

Seemed to matter if the 'van was a newer model, and I seem to remember reading that LV have declined others with vans over a few years old.

Cheers
Mark

Isn't there an issue with some of these insurance companies like admiral with regard to cover for the kitchen and gas cover?
Not a problem perhaps if you've got a beach but worth investigating if it's a full fat cali.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

With ours being a Beach, Admiral ticked all the boxes for us. Our cover comes with extra contents cover (think it was £500) due to them considering it to be a camper.We notified them of everything fitted as factory fitted extra, thundre alloys, as well as VW bike rack.We also notified them that it was going to be lowered in the near future and have VW side bars fitted, all of which was taken into account. They still came out the cheapest.
As posted above....Not too sure how Admiral would work out for an SE though.

thanks for the advice guys....seemed to have got a good deal with Comfort, a lot cheaper than we have been paying for our car insurance. Thanks again

try caravanguard in yorkshire or safeguard,they both consistently give me good quotes for insurance :goodone

We were surprised at the restrictions imposed by Comfort on leaving our vehicle unattended overnight. They said that it would not be insured if left for several days at an airport car park or at the home of a relative abroad while we were absent.

Sallyf said:
We were surprised at the restrictions imposed by Comfort on leaving our vehicle unattended overnight. They said that it would not be insured if left for several days at an airport car park or at the home of a relative abroad while we were absent.

Yes that is downside of comfort. Try caravan & camping club insurance, no such restrictions

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I thought this had been covered elsewhere. I think if you tell comfort that you are leaving it somewhere then you are ok?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

It might be that different people in comfort give a different story...

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

I thought it only applied outside the uk

We are some of the ones that LV wouldn't quote for a Cali , they said it was a performance vehicle!! and I have been with them for cars for over 20 years.
So

We got a caravan club quote that beat all others on price and conditions and great for long period of foreign use.

Hope that's of use.

We have our family cars with Admiral Multicar policy but as that was for 5 vehicles they wouldn't take the Cali as that would be a 6th vehicle.
So new Cali bought 2012 was insured with Vw insurance for 2 years, then as we wanted to take the Cali to Europe for more days than VW would cover each year switched to Comfort which was cheaper anyway and offered 8 months In Europe each year. Am now on a seven week trip in Scandinavia with ASCI and the Camping and Caravan Club, the rear door lock jammed and was damaged so I couldn't secure the vehicle and Comfort promptly arranged an RAC via a French call centre to make it possible to manually lock the rear door without utilising the damaged bit that I'll ask VW to replace/repair when I get back. All I would say is that you egg what you pay for!

I have just rung Admiral for a multicar quote and they won't cover my California as my model (a 2010 SE 180 BHP isn't on their list!) They were fine with my other car, but only list a 140 BHP. Seems very strange but if they don't want my business...
:headbang

I recently had to take my Beach in for some repairs on my insurance (with Admiral), and I don't know if it is the same with all their approved repair centres, and maybe with all other companies too, but the courtesy car which I had for 10 days was a tiny Nissan Note (and the week before all they'd had on offer was a tiny Aygo) which really is not much help when you've 3 children, plus friends, plus bikes etc to be lugged about on a regular basis. I'll be looking at VW when my renewal is due to see whether they offer more of a like-for-like car replacement, as it was a real pain this time. Even though VW came out considerably higher cost for me, it might just work out a bit less hassle for us.
Also found that Admiral won't cover me to drive other people's cars on my policy which is a pain...

Thanks for all the helpful posts on this. Just had my renewal quote which had gone up quite a bit. Rang Comfort on the advice of others on the site and they blew my quote out of the water! Very helpful on phone too. Also got good breakdown cover with them.
Result :D